Official UTVUG Baja 500 Coverage

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
It's amazing that you guys clamor and literally beg Reid (BadMav) to tell it like it is without the sugarcoat...yet when the obvious is right there and expressed very nicely...why do you (somehow) need a bad guy?
Yes they do and this time it's not me! But I'm not as "nice" as you. Nice or not nice there had to be a bad guy in any good drama. Lol

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
It's amazing that you guys clamor and literally beg Reid (BadMav) to tell it like it is without the sugarcoat...yet when the obvious is right there and expressed very nicely...why do you (somehow) need a bad guy?

You have spent more effort whining about what could of and has been solved by just going to Facebook. It pretty simple. If half the world is in the know about the results from BAJA due to coverage on Facebook why would some one need to spend the time of money to keep the other half updated. Its really pretty simple.

It is 100 times easier to post pictures and post on Facebook or Instagram then on here when your not behind the computer at you desk. If you want to prepay me 20 bucks a post I will post all the updates I see on Facebook on here for the low low price of 20 bucks each - Prepaid, American dollars.

Thanks

Reactions: JoeyD23

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Do we have to pay people to be fans or supporters of a burgeoning sport (barely teething) now?
What in the heck did all those guys down south do (where racing was born) back when racing was actually an obsession barely removed from moonshining?
Right now, I wouldn't send a dime to anybody down there but the guys doing the work (teams/sponsors) and laugh in the face of anyone quoting me a price to 'cover' anything!
Passion built racing..those who ended up covering it simply rode the same wave and/or created their own.
Sounds like the problem is YOU! Why don't you get down to baja and chase! What don't you try to beat the UTVs from Borrego to Erindira and give all the updates!? Why don't you go spend $350 on a cell phone bill so you can post photos from the race and contingency then try to tell everyone you shouldn't have to be paid..

I love when people complain about coverage. Makes me laugh because it makes it obvious that you have no clue what it takes to do coverage in Baja.

I took the race off, hung out with my friends on the beach and drank beers on race day. Sorry, not sorry.. I wasn't being paid to go and I need a race off every now and then. What I did do was send updates to Jake and we had photographers on course to provide a results and photo story today. If thats not sufficient enough, then feel free to send me a PM and we can talk prices.. LUCKY for you, Polaris provides us with budget to go to this years Baja 1000 and is providing us with budget to create a RACE APP where we will be trying to provide tracking (Polaris vehicles) and updates for the UTV class. Hopefully have the BETA done for V2R.

Lastly, feel free to look at our coverage on our forum, social media and pre/live/post on homepage from last years Baja 1000. That will give you an idea of how LIVE coverage COULD BE with proper budget for every race. Its obvious you weren't here for the Baja 1000 last year. Might want to do some research before you go on a rant!

Reactions: Nick

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I'm not asking for minute by minute updates, just post the finishing order as soon as they come in. It's not just Score, BITD as well. Utvug has made this sport what it is but not by real time coverage. Yes there will be a full photo gallery and positions released 2 days after the event but I've never seen results posted in real time, at best you might see the top 3 posted on social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Results are usually always posted by us in REAL TIME, usually on social media as we seem to almost always have someone at the podium. The reason we don't PRINT these results is because they change, as they did this year. I posted the TOP 3, w/ PHOTOS personally on our facebook. By the time I woke up those results were changed due to penalties. Seems like we can't win.. lol

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
Several years ago I worked with the largest off road race team in Baja - often 12-20 cars. We had the BEST communication equipment, airplanes, helos, sat phones, ops centers, sat uplinks, stuff no one else had. And communication was still very difficult. I swear the moon has better service that many parts of Baja. But that is part of the Baja adventure and experience. In our instant gratification pre-packaged world folks get upset when they cannot get what they want right now. I am very happy for any and all info we do get from those down there, and look forward to a great expose' from Joey when he gets back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Whats crazy is I look at the coverage. We posted a contingency story with awesome images and race information. then we posted some updates here and quite a few updates on our social media (facebook / instagram), then had a story up immediately as racers crossed the line with images of them on the podium.. I mean, thats pretty damn good considering no one payed for coverage.

again, want consistent live race coverage.. join a team or join the chase AT THE RACE. Thats the best way, and even then you usually have less info then those of you at home.. lol BUT the beers and tacos taste wayyyy better down south... YEEEiiiiiii

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
Yes they do and this time it's not me! But I'm not as "nice" as you. Nice or not nice there had to be a bad guy in any good drama. Lol
I've got pretty broad shoulders..just no FaceCrack/InstaGrabAss account nor upcoming Polaris 'app' that I just can't live without. I'm all about the 'drama' of racing/race day that used to be reported in an exciting style that was frankly an 'art' in and of itself.
When you can make people believe that they are truly there/experiencing all of the heartbreak and triumph of those sweating it out/cheating death all day/night long..even if it's all reported just at the finish line (whether you have little, no, inaccurate or any information whatsoever?)...you're telling a story, making history or creating a legacy for our kids to long remember and build upon.

I think it's pretty cool that Jimco (and evidently Alba) came in here almost 'blind' (1st year) with an extended chassis, a build reputation that is pretty much unrivaled and effectively SILENCED every favorite in the field by who knows how much.

If we can't (now) all talk about how Matlock did it because we're all too butt hurt from somebody simply asking why the coverage wasn't even minimally there (especially after Jake promised to improve it)...how old are we all, anyways?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
And you registered on March 29th 2015. Go hit the search button!! We write stories, race reports, some in-depth and others not, but we always provide some level of coverage. If it isn't good enough, then well, Ill give you my email and you let me know your rate to go and chase the race and provide the story you desire and I will be happy to run it!

I will try to not be so defensive for a second, but PLEASE go SEARCH this site, both forum and homepage, before you make any remarks about how are coverage is or could have been or should have been. Our coverage from last years Baja 1000 surpassed ANYTHING on the web as far as that race is concerned and I mean for ALL classes in that race! It only took a team of 15 people, 6 trucks, 3 photographers and probably close to a budget of $20,000 to make it happen!

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
It's yourLegacy, you are correct it was poor coverage for this site but like Joeyd said he wasn't paid to do it so he was going to give a little info will there and not much more. But if you wanted other info facebook is were most crews and racers were updating. Just imagine if you could link the facebook to this site and run it under Baja updates, things that make you go hum. I wonder what kind of computer genius could do that?

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Perhaps it's time to quote what it would cost to obtain the bare minimum from some outfit already covering the trophy trucks or any other segment racing and start from there. If there's nobody already down there from our segment covering it (period) or there in any 'live' non-profit capacity (able to write the entire trip off as doing just that) then you're starting at square one with the cost of both real time and the easier coverage afterwards (in any capacity), which is ideal.
Hats off to Bajaxp in a previous thread days ago for being the only one(?) to pick Matlock/Hayes in the Jimco 4-seater to contend. I was disappointed that Johnny winning the 1000 in a 4-seater received so little commentary afterwards as I've been finding ours to be (unexpectedly) excellent in rough terrain.
Wish that the subject was debated more up here; as BAM mentioned (earlier) desiring that configuration should he ever get into building one again for himself or another.
You are looking for Twitter/Facebook or Instagram my friend. I saw that you refuse to access those and I understand. My dad wont go near those sites either but he also carries quarters for payphones. Social Media is designed to do exactly what you want. Crappy cell phone pics/videos posted on a platform that allows everyone to be a reporter. The almighty "#" when used correctly can take you straight to the content you desire.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
It's yourLegacy, you are correct it was poor coverage for this site but like Joeyd said he wasn't paid to do it so he was going to give a little info will there and not much more. But if you wanted other info facebook is were most crews and racers were updating. Just imagine if you could link the facebook to this site and run it under Baja updates, things that make you go hum. I wonder what kind of computer genius could do that?
CoverItLive works great.

Attachments

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
We have and always will provide coverage whether paid for or not but Baja is difficult. It costs a lot of money to cover it and to do it right and do it so its worth the expense. Its not cheap to get guys down there on weekends, chase the race in separate vehicles, pay for the cell phone bills, hotel rooms, fuel, food, etc etc etc.. Stateside races are expenses, Baja races are more than double.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
A lot of this stems from an earlier post (months ago) that I made in regards to building a sport 'the old fashioned way' vs expecting some corporation to hold your hand while doing it.
People love stories. They thirst for characters. Good guys, bad guys, even women who 'school them' or a hapless peon coming out of nowhere to compete and somehow win. From what I can gather, this class already has plenty of character, drama and intrigue if hands were truly forced in terms of the manufacturers/build teams/aftermarket sellers. If you don't have more than one or two Reids/George(s) stirring the pot...who cares?
Half of it doesn't even have to be true (and many times in the past it was not)...yet that is how America was, is and probably always will be in terms of building a solid brand.
FaceCrack, InstaGrabAss, MyAppCrack...none of that garbage will ever replace somebody telling an actual GOOD story to the masses that they all are willing to consume on an easily transferrable basis free of sorting through.
Yeah, some of us are 'old'..yet at least we were able to get excited about our favorite sports over a long period of time before it was socially unacceptable to be a Johnny or a Reid.

No ill intentions to anyone..just strolling down memory lane without my cell phone showing me the way. ;)

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
A lot of this stems from an earlier post (months ago) that I made in regards to building a sport 'the old fashioned way' vs expecting some corporation to hold your hand while doing it.
People love stories. They thirst for characters. Good guys, bad guys, even women who 'school them' or a hapless peon coming out of nowhere to compete and somehow win. From what I can gather, this class already has plenty of character, drama and intrigue if hands were truly forced in terms of the manufacturers/build teams/aftermarket sellers. If you don't have more than one or two Reids/George(s) stirring the pot...who cares?
Half of it doesn't even have to be true (and many times in the past it was not)...yet that is how America was, is and probably always will be in terms of building a solid brand.
FaceCrack, InstaGrabAss, MyAppCrack...none of that garbage will ever replace somebody telling an actual GOOD story to the masses that they all are willing to consume on an easily transferrable basis free of sorting through.
Yeah, some of us are 'old'..yet at least we were able to get excited about our favorite sports over a long period of time before it was socially unacceptable to be a Johnny or a Reid.

No ill intentions to anyone..just strolling down memory lane without my cell phone showing me the way. ;)

http://www.utvunderground.com/2014-baja-1000-official-results-photos-21988.html

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Still costs money to use CIL. We use it during certain events. We used it last during the Mint yet no one follows it.. lol I don't keep throwing money at things that people don't use.
what if you used jake the guy you pay anyways,to have him forward facebook/instagram related Baja 500 stuff to one post on utvunderground he does it anyways about other stuff. Or just thinking outside of the box here you make it a paid click like google. Lets say a penny for every update/pic, nickel for 2 sentences, quarter for a good story and a buck for every race story to that individual. Paid sponsorship for utvundergroung I bet allot of badass stories would come out of the wood work. What you pay out lets say 200 bucks and triple views on race weekend or race week things that make you go hum

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
what if you used jake the guy you pay anyways,to have him forward facebook/instagram related Baja 500 stuff to one post on utvunderground he does it anyways about other stuff.
(chuckle).. :) ..sorry, but I have to repeat what the other guys were saying earlier (sarcastically)..."no kidding...you can do that with this internet thingamajig?.." ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000