2015 Best in the Desert UTV rule book

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
The UTV class is not a spec engine class like a Karting class is. There would be no 1 source to buy your engines. You could get your engine from anyone or anywhere. The inspection is to make sure it meets the class rules. You could have 2, 3 or as many authorized shops or people you want to be authorized to tag an engine. The Series, Tech Director & Class Rep would set those perimeters and they can also set the price to have those tags done. Regarding a N/A engine should be able to be checked & tagged in 1 hours time. So figure 1 hour of shop labor, plus a $25 tag and recording fee.

Either this or you make a class rule that the top 4 finishers at each race get a displacement check at post race tech. This would be nothing new as class 1600, 5/1600, 9 & I think class 11 get CC checked & carb checked. (That is if the tech director is not being lazy!) 1600 is suppose to get scaled too, but I rarely see this happen.

Its not like you are being requested to have Bill Savage charge you $250 to have your chassis inspected and then have him request cash only, which goes right into his pocket and then he gives you shit when you request a receipt!
OR...if you think a guy is cheating....you break our your wallet and protest him. I gauren-god-damn-tee if I felt like a guy was cheating I would protest. I honestly dont think that anyone is running over 1000 cc's.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
OR...if you think a guy is cheating....you break our your wallet and protest him. I gauren-god-damn-tee if I felt like a guy was cheating I would protest. I honestly dont think that anyone is running over 1000 cc's.
That is an option, but IMO this is a bad way of policing a class or series. I dont know of another form of auto racing where the only time a technical rule is enforced, is when another competitor files a protest and deposit in order to have a class rule inspected & enforced. And this is more then just about engine displacement. This is the whole rules package.

This also causes animosity amongst the competitors. No one wants to be the bad guy or labeled a whiner. What if your protest is not upheld and you not only lose your $500 deposit, but now your competitors will think you are a whiner. Even if you win, many will think your just being a cry baby, because many rule infractions might not be performance or would have made them win that day, but its still a broken rule. Plus per the rules you have submit & file your written protest & deposit within 30 minutes of the time limit of the event. With Score you used to have to be in a $ paying position to be able to protest. I cant tell you how many times I have heard people say "so in so" is cheating or they suspect something, but no one wants to lay their money or name of the line for it. And really its not the competitors job to enforce the rules the Sanctioning body has written.

If you think about it, every other form of auto racing they have a pre-race inspection & a post-race inspection. Off Road Desert Racing does not seem to have any of that. The only inspection we have is for Safety and even that is questionable many times. Back in the day the Protest Option was a way to police the competitors while on a course where no one could see or monitor a whole off-road desert course.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
That is an option, but IMO this is a bad way of policing a class or series. I dont know of another form of auto racing where the only time a technical rule is enforced, is when another competitor files a protest and deposit in order to have a class rule inspected & enforced. And this is more then just about engine displacement. This is the whole rules package.

This also causes animosity amongst the competitors. No one wants to be the bad guy or labeled a whiner. What if your protest is not upheld and you not only lose your $500 deposit, but now your competitors will think you are a whiner. Even if you win, many will think your just being a cry baby, because many rule infractions might not be performance or would have made them win that day, but its still a broken rule. Plus per the rules you have submit & file your written protest & deposit within 30 minutes of the time limit of the event. With Score you used to have to be in a $ paying position to be able to protest. I cant tell you how many times I have heard people say "so in so" is cheating or they suspect something, but no one wants to lay their money or name of the line for it. And really its not the competitors job to enforce the rules the Sanctioning body has written.

If you think about it, every other form of auto racing they have a pre-race inspection & a post-race inspection. Off Road Desert Racing does not seem to have any of that. The only inspection we have is for Safety and even that is questionable many times. Back in the day the Protest Option was a way to police the competitors while on a course where no one could see or monitor a whole off-road desert course.
The only rule currently that has never been checked in the CC's. Unless I am missing something. At the last race Cory stated he spent the cash on the tools to check bore diameter and stroke thru the spark plug hole. He also stated he would be check cars at 2 BITD event this year. Beyond checking CC sizes what are we discussing? All other rules can be measured with primitive tools...Unless you trying to open the ECU can of worms. If thats the case the only car that will effect is the new turbo car.

As far as animosity.... we here to race not play grab ass. I'm not looking for enemies but if I make a few because I called a guy a cheat so be it. Currently the only question of someone cheating is a CC violation. According to Cory "an engine builder" told him teams were cheating. The engine building community is pretty small.

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010

Dude that protect happens every where.

Every heard the term claimer engine? Heck some race series make the whole car a claim. Does it happen? Not very often. But it can.

I still don't see where anybody has ran away with UTV off road racing to think anybody has any kind of unfair advantage.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Dude that protect happens every where.

Every heard the term claimer engine? Heck some race series make the whole car a claim. Does it happen? Not very often. But it can.

I still don't see where anybody has ran away with UTV off road racing to think anybody has any kind of unfair advantage.
Yep I've heard of the claimer rule. The idea behind it is to keep the racers from spending a bunch of money on an engine for a class that is suppose to be budget minded. Class 9 used to be a engine claimer class. I don't think any classes are claimer anymore.

But what does this have to do with having the series do proper tech either prior or post race?

Do I think any teams are using a bored over engine? I dont know, but the results are not showing it. And my comments are not just engine related. My comments started as I and several others see a concern and conflict of interest with having a UTV racer also be the UTV Tech Director and Rules maker. I dont know the Tech Director, but from what I hear he has been fair. But how could a post tech be done if the Tech Director is somewhere out on the course while other teams have finished the race? Also who is inspecting his car?

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
You are right but Polaris needs someone to race against or its just another class. Turbo rule/cc rule it changes when the manufacter wants it to change.
You say that but I don't see dodge or GM sponsoring or having their own classes like Ford does w BITD.[/QUOTE]

lol why would chevy when almost 70% of the classes are running a chevy motor.

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
I think our class rules need to evolve as the OEM's introduce new models. That's what makes our class so cool. We are racing what is in the showroom. That is why we are getting OEM participation.

Why would GM, Ford, Dodge give a shit? There really is nothing raced on Sunday that will sell on Monday. (maybe 1 or 2 of the truck classes) GM does not make jackshit on the fact that 70% are running GM motors. So they sell 20 new GM blocks a year. Not even a blip on their radar.

Ford has taken it a step further and targeted the race teams and families themselves with the winnings they give out. I feel are designed to get the actual race community to buy Ford products, not so much the public.

If we don't evolve with the advances the OEM's put out there, pretty soon we will have ourselves boxed into a boring class. with no innovation. I personally race in Polaris's. But I love the thought that Can Am might have a leg up next year with the Turbo. That's what drives competition & development.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I think our class rules need to evolve as the OEM's introduce new models. That's what makes our class so cool. We are racing what is in the showroom. That is why we are getting OEM participation.

Why would GM, Ford, Dodge give a shit? There really is nothing raced on Sunday that will sell on Monday. (maybe 1 or 2 of the truck classes) GM does not make jackshit on the fact that 70% are running GM motors. So they sell 20 new GM blocks a year. Not even a blip on their radar.

Ford has taken it a step further and targeted the race teams and families themselves with the winnings they give out. I feel are designed to get the actual race community to buy Ford products, not so much the public.

If we don't evolve with the advances the OEM's put out there, pretty soon we will have ourselves boxed into a boring class. with no innovation. I personally race in Polaris's. But I love the thought that Can Am might have a leg up next year with the Turbo. That's what drives competition & development.
Nobody gives a shit what you think

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com

nailed it you are smarter then you look lol

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Interesting? I saw a few changes, and few things that are posted in the rule book, yet seemed to be over looked at tech and on race day. Then again maybe those items are only enforced if a protest is filed?

Has there always been a fee to be tech inspected?

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
can we get a highlight of what changed from 2015 version 1?

chill720

Jul 1, 2011
Johnson City, TN
yes, $30 for Tech Fee.
$25 for tech and $5 for a champion purse year end or something like that. Cory does the Tech, he races a Can-Am....don't think he has a Turbo one built yet, at least at Parker he didn't race it.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Justin I've asked the same question and can't get a straight answer. I don't think your asking for a legal interpretation just a general idea of what the changes are and/or where they can be found correct? I read the rule book and only found the turbo change.

On another subject since there were some ambiguity about door brace thickness I think the main frames should be thickness checked since I don't think they were at Parker.

QUOTE=COGNITO;173344]can we get a highlight of what changed from 2015 version 1?[/QUOTE]

Dec 20, 2011
No changes were made in the latest version. The language description used in the roll cage section was rewritten. This was done to better describe the tubing required. All UTV's will need to have the correct tubing, for the diagonal bracing in the "rear window" area (the area behind the drivers head) by the Silverstate 300 race. the correct tubing is 1.5"x.095 tubing.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Thanks for clearing that up. What is the thickness and diameter requirement for the stock frame tubes? I'm asking because I've heard some complete builds replace these with chromoly.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Thanks for clearing that up. What is the thickness and diameter requirement for the stock frame tubes? I'm asking because I've heard some complete builds replace these with chromoly.
Frame rails must remain stock. Ask Rito

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000