2015 Best in the Desert UTV rule book

Dec 20, 2011
2015 Best in the Desert UTV class rules are posted on the UTVRA web site and will be posted on the BITD site soon. I,m not sure how to post them here. I will send them to Joey so he can post them.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
SCR 33: TURBOCHARGERS
Aftermarket turbochargers are allowed in the UTV Unlimited Class. UTV Pro
production class does allow turbochargers, they must be stock factory equiptment.
No changes, adjustments or modifications are allow, the turbo must remain exactly
as delivered from the factory. Turbochargers must be sealed.

ROTR

Rock Crawler
Mar 9, 2011
Utah
www.rallyontherocks.com
I have quite a few friends that want to come race BITD but cant commit to a full build. They don't want to race V2R or SS300 due to running with the bigger cars.​
Does this allow for a "lesser" build to run in the sportsman class?​
"Any UTV vehicles that are not built to​
the Pro UTV production class rules, but are classified as a UTV by a UTVRA tech​
inspector will be allowed race in the Sportsman UTV class."

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
SCR 33: TURBOCHARGERS
Aftermarket turbochargers are allowed in the UTV Unlimited Class. UTV Pro
production class does allow turbochargers, they must be stock factory equiptment.
No changes, adjustments or modifications are allow, the turbo must remain exactly
as delivered from the factory. Turbochargers must be sealed.
Who seals the Turbocharger?

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
Ziploc? YKK? Super trust worthy competitors.. lol

Yeah seems like an impossible task.

How do you know if the turbo you are "sealing" has not already been modified? I personally don't care. Run what ever Turbo you want, as long as its on a production motor.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I have seen how the tags & seal have been handled in other classes in the past & present. Typically the series will go to 1 or 2 engine builders and authorize them to be official inspectors and to add the seal or tag. A course this is done for a price, usually in the $250 - $500 range. I would assume this is the route the series will take with the turbo's?

IMO since 85% of this class and growing are using factory engines. I think the series needs to learn about this and they need to be able band, tag or seal the engine themselves. This would force the series to learn and identify what is legal and what is not.

This is a problem with not just spec'ed tagged parts or engines, but class rules in general. It seems most series expect the class & racers to police themselves and do very little if any real inspecting of the vehicles for class compliance. The series expect the racers to file a protest and drop a deposit down in order for class rules to be inspected or enforced. That is not what the original concept of the racers protest was about. It was designed to be a second set of eyes on the course or if something was missed in pre race inspection. I know sevral guys in the past who have claimed to know about some guys car or truck not being legal, but no one wants to be the guy who calls fowl and puts money down to file a protest. It causes animosity within the class and no one whats to be known as a cry baby or whiner. So no one posts a protest.

Back when my family was racing class 7s and the manufactures were involved, Score Tech actually did tech inspections prior and after the race. Now all they want to do is check for safety items prior and some classes get a minimal post check, depending on the class.

Heck a few years ago when MDR was still around Bill Hammack brought scales to the races and offered up the scales to any 1600 class car prior to the race with no penalty. Then after the race the top 3-4 cars were weighed to make sure they were not under the class min. Plus a engine CC test was done.

Last time I raced Score I had to ask if they were going to inspect our 5//1600 carb after the race. They did make us pull the velocity air box on top of the carb, but that was it. It was a joke. I could have been running a 1776cc engine and no one would have known.

Right now if someone was to run a big bore 1132cc kit in the Pro UTV class how would anyone know?

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I have seen how the tags & seal have been handled in other classes in the past & present. Typically the series will go to 1 or 2 engine builders and authorize them to be official inspectors and to add the seal or tag. A course this is done for a price, usually in the $250 - $500 range. I would assume this is the route the series will take with the turbo's?

IMO since 85% of this class and growing are using factory engines. I think the series needs to learn about this and they need to be able band, tag or seal the engine themselves. This would force the series to learn and identify what is legal and what is not.

This is a problem with not just spec'ed tagged parts or engines, but class rules in general. It seems most series expect the class & racers to police themselves and do very little if any real inspecting of the vehicles for class compliance. The series expect the racers to file a protest and drop a deposit down in order for class rules to be inspected or enforced. That is not what the original concept of the racers protest was about. It was designed to be a second set of eyes on the course or if something was missed in pre race inspection. I know sevral guys in the past who have claimed to know about some guys car or truck not being legal, but no one wants to be the guy who calls fowl and puts money down to file a protest. It causes animosity within the class and no one whats to be known as a cry baby or whiner. So no one posts a protest.

Back when my family was racing class 7s and the manufactures were involved, Score Tech actually did tech inspections prior and after the race. Now all they want to do is check for safety items prior and some classes get a minimal post check, depending on the class.

Heck a few years ago when MDR was still around Bill Hammack brought scales to the races and offered up the scales to any 1600 class car prior to the race with no penalty. Then after the race the top 3-4 cars were weighed to make sure they were not under the class min. Plus a engine CC test was done.

Last time I raced Score I had to ask if they were going to inspect our 5//1600 carb after the race. They did make us pull the velocity air box on top of the carb, but that was it. It was a joke. I could have been running a 1776cc engine and no one would have known.

Right now if someone was to run a big bore 1132cc kit in the Pro UTV class how would anyone know?
Cory stated @ BWDC he purchased tools to do a Bore/Stroke measurement and that at 2 random races next year cars would be checked. He claims to have Intel from an "Engine Builder" that some teams are cheating. Bring it!!! I know our engine is legal.:cool:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Cory stated @ BWDC he purchased tools to do a Bore/Stroke measurement and that at 2 random races next year cars would be checked. He claims to have Intel from an "Engine Builder" that some teams are cheating. Bring it!!! I know our engine is legal.:cool:
Instead of two random races, why not check the top 4 finishers at each race? This will keep everyone honest and it removes the chance or conspiracy that someone or some team gets inside knowledge of when the random tests would happen.
I'm pretty sure I know what tools he is talking about as CODE is using them in regards to the new 1600 engine rules they have adopted. Its a pretty quick & painless process. In the past and still used by several series is a volume tool which we called the "Huffer". You would pull your pushrods to close off the cylinder, pull the spark plug, screw in the Huffer and crank over the engine. Sort of like doing a leak down test. I know when Score checks CC's this, this is what Art is still using.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Instead of two random races, why not check the top 4 finishers at each race? This will keep everyone honest and it removes the chance or conspiracy that someone or some team gets inside knowledge of when the random tests would happen.
I'm pretty sure I know what tools he is talking about as CODE is using them in regards to the new 1600 engine rules they have adopted. Its a pretty quick & painless process. In the past and still used by several series is a volume tool which we called the "Huffer". You would pull your pushrods to close off the cylinder, pull the spark plug, screw in the Huffer and crank over the engine. Sort of like doing a leak down test. I know when Score checks CC's this, this is what Art is still using.
Thats not it, They use the same tools in lucas oil for bore. I believe just a dial indicator will be used to determine the length of stroke, the other gauge open up inside the spark plug hole and measures the bore diameter.
[/QUOTE]

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Or better yet 33"

Cory I am lobbying SCORE for the bigger tires for 2016. Call me. :)

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
This engine displacement thing has been a debate for a long time.
I have no problem cc ing our motors in any non invasive maner but I do not agree with any type of tear down or pre race outside source sealing. Our motors come from Polaris and go back to Polaris when we remove them.
I don't want anyone removing so much as a valve cover from our motors.
Plus, engine sealing is a huge inconvenience and a substantial added expense.

I will say that at Vegas to Reno after racing for 13 hours,I don't plan on hanging around at the finish line for hours while the "inspector" is still out there trying to get to the finish line to get our motor cc 'd.

If teams are cheating right now, they are not very good at it because no one is blowing the class away. Or even winning consistently.

As for the turbo thing, my vote was counted a while back and apparently it was not the most popular vote.

The industry is still growing like crazy and I supose if turbos are the wave of the future then they will find their way into the racing world.

I will say this, if Polaris had been first to market with a turbo, our team would NOT be lobbying to let them into the class.

BSJX

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
This engine displacement thing has been a debate for a long time.
I have no problem cc ing our motors in any non invasive maner but I do not agree with any type of tear down or pre race outside source sealing. Our motors come from Polaris and go back to Polaris when we remove them.
I don't want anyone removing so much as a valve cover from our motors.
Plus, engine sealing is a huge inconvenience and a substantial added expense.

I will say that at Vegas to Reno after racing for 13 hours,I don't plan on hanging around at the finish line for hours while the "inspector" is still out there trying to get to the finish line to get our motor cc 'd.

If teams are cheating right now, they are not very good at it because no one is blowing the class away. Or even winning consistently.

As for the turbo thing, my vote was counted a while back and apparently it was not the most popular vote.

The industry is still growing like crazy and I supose if turbos are the wave of the future then they will find their way into the racing world.

I will say this, if Polaris had been first to market with a turbo, our team would NOT be lobbying to let them into the class.

BSJX
Agree 100%

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I said it before. I'll say it again. The turbo is a bad idea. I also stand by the feeling that had Polaris introduced the turbo first, majority who were for it with the can am would have vehemently fought against it. I too would have been against it as it still produces the same exact concerns I have with it even if it was John Deere or CF Moto introducing it. It's a can of worms that I fear will backfire on the class. I hope I am wrong.

As for post race engine inspection. I am staying out of this one. I will say, the minute a majority feels a certain team is cheating then I think the tools and the rule for protest should be available.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com

That's called a burn lol still trying to get to the finish line can't stop laughing.

You are correct on that one big motors and desert equal inconsistence.

If all the teams are moving to Polaris does it really matter. Polaris is winning in numbers doesn't matter is you let a TT in. 1 TT can't beat a field that id 90% Polaris. The numbers don't lie or the house never losses.

They are but still need time to figure things out.I would say by 2017 you will see a lot more turbo TT and class1 plus a new class for manufacters to battle it out.

Liar Polaris would of made you do it.
BSJX[/QUOTE]

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
'Liar Polaris would of made you do it.'

Not a liar. Polaris is not a stupid company and wants to sell a variety of different models of RZR's. If the rules stipulated non-turbo, they would be happy to race XP1000's all day long, because they want to sell normally aspirated XP1000's not just turbos. But Polaris doesn't have a turbo, so it is a mute point for them but not for Can Am.

The real 800 lb gorilla in the room is whether BITD/UTVRA is going to enforce their own rules about no engine swaps. The Can Ams that are already built did not come with a turbo engine. The engine is different, with lower compression (pistons and/or heads), beefed up parts, obviously different intake and exhaust, ecu etc. To put an engine in their 2014 or earlier chassis that didn't have a turbo is an engine swap. I had this discussion earlier and it was decided that BITD/UTVRA wouldn't allow an XP1000 engine to be dropped in an existing XP900 race chassis. I agreed with this. But the same rule should apply to the Can Am turbos.

I do think we should have a tire discussion for 2016 race season now. I vote for 33" tires. Someone else mentioned 31's, which would be ok, but there isn't a lot of choices in 31 inch tires. 33's would be a game changer for our class, but we would tear up a bunch of chit getting up to speed with them.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
'Liar Polaris would of made you do it.'

Not a liar. Polaris is not a stupid company and wants to sell a variety of different models of RZR's. If the rules stipulated non-turbo, they would be happy to race XP1000's all day long, because they want to sell normally aspirated XP1000's not just turbos.
why didn't Brandon finish season in 900xp then. just saying.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Turbo + 500 miles = No Bueno. I hope polaris doesn't bring a turbo to the game cause we are not interested in racing in a turbo'ed car. As far as the tire thing. I really don't want a heavier combo, but the more ground clearance would be nice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000