2014 King Of The Hammers - YES there will be a UTV Race!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
True, but this is THE race and has worldwide exposure. COLOR]

What make KOH "THE" race? Im just curious....is there not worldwide exposure for the Baja 1000? Last year the mint had a 2 hour TV time slot...So again....I wonder where 1 race in an entire year makes it "THE" race.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I think KOH is the best event...The race is rad because of the crawling sections. You can catch the leaders in multiple spots because the crawling section slows them down. UTV's really aren't that impressive in open desert.... much better to watch in the rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I too love KOH. I love the format and the event is first class all the way around. No doubt, Dave Cole has dialed this event in but like Jeff said, it boils down to time. He has his hands full with 4400 and EMC and to add another ton of headache for a count of 20 UTVs +/-, I don't blame him. For him to make it worth it he needs to charge more which hurts the guys who are wanting and going to race. It's a crappy situation for all.

Again, I hope to see KOH back in 2015 but if not let's make 2014 the best one ever and for those of you who are racing, go out and kick some ass and show KOH what they are going to be missing!

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
What make KOH "THE" race? Im just curious....is there not worldwide exposure for the Baja 1000? Last year the mint had a 2 hour TV time slot...So again....I wonder where 1 race in an entire year makes it "THE" race.
O.k. Maybe not THE toughest literally for every vehicle, but absolutely for UTV's.

In MY OPINION it is also more difficult than the 1000 from an equipment vs. terrain point of view, Yes Baja is tough, but you're not climbing miles of rock piles on that course.

So maybe I was a little overzealous, but I was trying to make a point for UTV's. Sorry if I've offended anyone who's raced the others... :rolleyes:

This kind of sums it up. Of the 10 most difficult in the world, this one is there, and the only one in the US (that I know of) where UTV's race (besides the Baja 1000, but still out of country).

http://jalopnik.com/5974508/the-ten-toughest-motor-races-in-the-world

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
O.k. Maybe not THE toughest literally for every vehicle, but absolutely for UTV's.

In MY OPINION it is also more difficult than the 1000 from an equipment vs. terrain point of view, Yes Baja is tough, but you're not climbing miles of rock piles on that course.

So maybe I was a little overzealous, but I was trying to make a point for UTV's. Sorry if I've offended anyone who's raced the others... :rolleyes:

This kind of sums it up. Of the 10 most difficult in the world, this one is there, and the only one in the US (that I know of) where UTV's race (besides the Baja 1000, but still out of country).

http://jalopnik.com/5974508/the-ten-toughest-motor-races-in-the-world

Didn't race baja this year ehh?

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix

Nope, but would sure like the opportunity! That right there is a bucket list item for sure!:)
You would have been pleasantly surprised at the amount of rock crawling the UTVs had to do. I'm still feeling the effects :/

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Baja is different. I think logistically it is absolutely the hardest UTV race. Mentally? I don't know. KOH is hard, because you are flying one minute, and then stopped behind traffic the next. Over and over. The closest thing I can correlate it to is drag racing, if the time is the staging lanes was part of the racing. It's nerveracking.

And that's the fun.

I do want to run Baja though. :D

M1028

May 29, 2012
Sealy, Tx
You were in 100%? Everything you described would have stayed the same, and did stay the same. The only thing that varied was the late release of the rules. Everyone would be in racing if it were free and easy.
I was in 100%. The pricing did not stay the same. It was announced that it would be X amount of dollars for each class, which would go up in price at a later date. Nothing was mentioned about the IRC, insurance and tech fees, until they had registration up on there site. I'm well aware racing isn't cheap or easy, I race my sponsored wildcat in the dirt riot central series along with several other Texas area races. I can race an entire season for less than racing KOH once, just isn't worth it to me.

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
Your right I was out of line with my comments. Even though most of that stuff was required in the past. How could you have known, till the UTV rules were posted.

Sorry.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
^^^^When did the underground become RZRForums???? Not everyone pays attention to last years entry fees and add ons...besides the fact that dave cole came on this forum and brageed at how cheap it would be...he said he wanted to get the fees down to $100 for sportsman...and he did, for the other races if you commit for the whole year....and he never mentioned the "other" fees would add up to be more than your entry fee...I'm with M1028, I race 3 events for the price of one...I know it's a badass event, but so is racing all year...

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
What the hell does that mean? Last I checked we have some pretty cool shit on our homepage?
What it means is the unwarranted SARCASM.... I'd use a better choice of words, but I'd like to keep this thread outta the octagon. I guess I expected more from a factory sponsored navigator. It's one thing to give a guy an answer, its a RZRForums thing to beat him down because he didn't read 1000 posts or last years thread...just sayin

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Back in October or November when they released the entry fees and classes, they also posted this on the registration page:

Please note: Online registration is currently for race entry fees only. We will be sharing information regarding required USAC Insurance, IRC Tracking, Tech fees, garage location requests and optional tent rentals for KOH Week in the coming weeks.
Yes, those extra costs are expensive, but the potential benefit is huge. If you crash, get hurt, and need to be helicoptered out? IRC knows you crashed, they call you on what amounts to a satellite phone built into the unit, and they know your exact location. And then will the bill comes due? USAC covers it. Or if the worst happens, and you accidentally hit a non racer who was just lost and crossing the course in the dust? USAC is there in case of any lawsuits.

Well worth $435($250+$85+$100). Hell, if you break down outside of radio range? The only way your crew will find you is by checking IRC tracking. Not to mention, it gives your sponsors the ability to track you live on the internet.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that racing without those things is just asking for trouble. Would I prefer if those costs were cheaper? Absolutely.

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
^^^^When did the underground become RZRForums???? ...
I apologized what more do you want?

But I'll say it again, Dave has made this the easiest, cheapest desert race to get a car race ready and compete in.

Is it logistically a bitch to race KOH? YES, but that's not Dave Cole's fault. That's Desert Racing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000