2014 King Of The Hammers - YES there will be a UTV Race!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
UTV industry? Crickets.

This is not just a KOH problem, its a SCORE, BITD, WORCS, WHATEVERYOUCALLIT problem.

Simple math, you can't support a race series on 30 cars with low entry fee's and a cash purse. You can't keep asking for volunteers and hear nothing in return. The UTV race at KOH has been subsidized for 5 years now, and if it can't stand on its own, it only make sense to clip it.

Let this be a learning experience for the industry. If you can't grow the events, they are not going to last forever. It takes more than Car count. It take investment from everyone who is involved.

We all have a habit as off roaders of taking more than we give. No matter if its OHV access, events, or promoting our sport. Someone else will do that for me.
I have been preaching this is regards to the UTV classes in BITD / Score desert racing. Right now the UTV group in new to desert racing, but is growing in popularity. The last Baja 1000 did a lot for this class. Right now is when all the teams & businesses need to work together for the better of the sport. Think of UTV racing as a long term investment. Not a financial investment as far as return goes for a team, but an investment to make sure this class of race vehicle does not go way like so many other classes of off-road desert vehicles have.

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
Blake. Stop drinking so early in the mornings.
OK, OK!

Bottom line is I love this race! I wish there were more competitors.

It's only as hard on you rig as you make it.

With the rules they have given us. This is no doubt the cheapest , easiest race to bring a race vehicle too. It they were to announce today, that the rules , course and line up, will stay EXACTLY the same for next year. I bet car cout would be up considerably. Of course I have no facts to back up that statement.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I don't care if they wait to announce the course unitl the friday before, but the RULES.... announce the RULES early enough to give people a chance.... I like the rules how they stand, but the 1st tier or prices "expired" before official rules came out.... already made my mind up at that point, then saw the rules and said shit... maybe i should have signed up. Then comes the extended period, ok, maybe I'm in again, they you find out sportsman doesn't run the same course...I'm back out... no need to spend $1k on a "lesser" course... set the rules in advance, run the same course for both classes, and I think you get a solid turnout.

Do have a question though, how come we don't race on the weekend? Might get even more UTV'S if it was on a Saturday. ...

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
You can't race on the weekends bc its a public OHV area and there are less people there in the middle of the week

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
You can't race on the weekends bc its a public OHV area and there are less people there in the middle of the week
Thanks for the response, kinda makes sense now that I think about it, but what about all the other races that are run on public ohv land, ie MORE,WORCS, ULTRA 4 races prairie city on a weekend......fees more expensive to have an event on the weekend? I honestly think if the actual 4400 race was a Saturday or Sunday it would be better attended than a NASCAR race.... I know there are a ton of people already, but could you imagine if it was on a weekend....

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Last year Mike was not asked back for what ever reason, and Davin took title sponsorship. I am not sure of any details about last year, and I personally did not participate in any aspect of the UTV race.

This year it appears no one took ownership. Lets face it, Dave has his hands full with the Ultra4 series. It has the backing of the entire industry, has experienced massive global growth, and he has no trouble filling the class.
Damon, not Davin. You mixed up DG Offroad's owner with HCR's owner.

Pit Bull was the title sponsor in 2011 and 2012. HCR was the title sponsor in 2013. There was a lot of behinds the scenes stuff as to the change in 2013, and as to why there is not one this year.

In prior years, the prize money came from the title sponsors. Pit Bull put up $$, and HCR put up $$. This year, the payouts are based purely on a % of entry fees in pro class.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Damon, not Davin. You mixed up DG Offroad's owner with HCR's owner.

Pit Bull was the title sponsor in 2011 and 2012. HCR was the title sponsor in 2013. There was a lot of behinds the scenes stuff as to the change in 2013, and as to why there is not one this year.

In prior years, the prize money came from the title sponsors. Pit Bull put up $$, and HCR put up $$. This year, the payouts are based purely on a % of entry fees in pro class.
So why couldn't Polaris, Kawasaki, John Deere or Arctic Cat put up some dough? Are they afraid of litigation? Are they too cheap? Can you imagine just a little from all three and then a stipend from each if you win in their ride! Wow, what crazy a$$ idea... Won't happen, but it would be nice...

I sure hope it's here next year, maybe if my lottery ticket comes in I can afford to join you folks on the course. I'm jealous...:(

facteryfmf

Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Polaris already sponsors Jagged obviously and Blake and Jon Crowley will be there. Will the Murrays be there for CanAm? Romano most likely will not be there for Artic Cat and we know Yamaha wants nothing to do with it.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Polaris already sponsors Jagged obviously and Blake and Jon Crowley will be there. Will the Murrays be there for CanAm? Romano most likely will not be there for Artic Cat and we know Yamaha wants nothing to do with it.
Sending a race team though is different than sponsoring a race. Arctic Cat and Yamaha have both sponsored Rally On The Rocks before, as well as other consumer direct events. They appear to put their money more towards those that want to participate in recreation with their machines, rather than racing appearances. Most race teams build cars that are no where near stock, therefore, the OEM units truly aren't showcased. Most impressive was when Mitch won in a near stock machine, but those days are waning..
Racing showcases the team and their prep more than it does the machine.

facteryfmf

Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Polaris already sponsors most races w a top 3 payout. I'm not positive if KOH is a sponsored race but I know WORCS SCORE AND BITD are paid out to top 3

dkiewicz

Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Sending a race team though is different than sponsoring a race. Arctic Cat and Yamaha have both sponsored Rally On The Rocks before, as well as other consumer direct events. They appear to put their money more towards those that want to participate in recreation with their machines, rather than racing appearances. Most race teams build cars that are no where near stock, therefore, the OEM units truly aren't showcased. Most impressive was when Mitch won in a near stock machine, but those days are waning..
True, but this is THE race and has worldwide exposure. This is an opportunity missed IMHO. I know they sponsor teams, but how does one get more teams to show up? A bigger carrot. I'm using the NASCAR model here. NASCAR cars have less than the UTV's do in comparison to what rolls off the assembly line. However, win on Sunday, sell on Monday still rings true. It's the perception, not the fact that's the truth.

And as far as those teams are concerned, I'm going to bet they have a good portion of their own $$$ in the pot. It doesn't seem that anyone gives support like they used to. Tough economy, maybe when things loosen up it'll get better, time will tell.

dkiewicz

Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Polaris already sponsors most races w a top 3 payout. I'm not positive if KOH is a sponsored race but I know WORCS SCORE AND BITD are paid out to top 3
I don't think so, I've never heard it mentioned. Maybe those that they have contracts with will get it, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the KOH kitty from them.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Contingency form is here:
http://cdn.polarisindustries.com/po...ocuments/Polaris-2014ATVContingencyForm-3.pdf

KOH isn't included.

Welcome to the Polaris ATV and SxS Contingency Program.
For 2014 Polaris is offering a contingency program for four racing series in North America. This program offers contingency dollars
for racers who compete in the top of their classes and meet Polaris Contingency Program eligibility requirements listed below.
If you meet these requirements, complete sections A–D of the 2014 Enrollment Form to enroll in the Polaris Contingency Program.
Send or fax all completed sections of the 2014 Enrollment Form to the address or number on the bottom of page 2 to be eligible for
the Polaris Contingency. See 2014 Contingency Claim Form for contingency information and payment. For additional forms, please
contact your local dealer, or go online to www.polarisfactoryracing.com.
ATV and SxS Model and Racer
1. The following Polaris ATVs and SxSs will be eligible for contingency
under the 2014 Polaris ATV and SxS Contingency Program:
> Model Year 2012 and newer Scrambler XP 1000,
Scrambler XP 850 and RZRs
2. All Polaris logos must be predominantly displayed on the vehicle.
3. Contingency will be paid only to registered Polaris owners and only
to racers who have executed the release and waiver set forth below.
Sales registration for the unit must be on file with Polaris Industries
Inc. (Polaris) prior to the race date.
4. Contingency forms will only be issued to racers with a valid U.S.
or Canada mailing address.
5. Factory-sponsored teams and/or racers are ineligible for 2014
Polaris Contingency Program.
ATV and SxS Race Series
1. The following race series will be eligible for the
2014 Polaris Contingency Program:
> GNCC – Grand National Cross Country Series (ATV Only)
> WORCS – World Off Road Championship Series (ATV Only)
> SCORE (RZR Only)
> BITD – Best in the Desert (RZR only)

Race & Contingency Claim
1. 2014 Polaris Contingency Program Period:
January 1 — December 31, 2014
2. Contingency will be only paid after:
> Polaris receives the completed 2014 Contingency
Claim Form within 30 days of each applicable event;
two payments will be made per year, in July and December.
> Confirmation of the race results from the race promoter and
that the racer has competed on the qualified Polaris model.
3. Contingency will be paid for racers best overall finish in one
class per event. Contingencies will only be paid for nationally
scheduled events in each series.
4. At least five racers must compete in any event to qualify for
the 2014 Polaris Contingency Program.
5. Falsification of claim forms will result in future disqualification from
any contingency programs. 2014 Polaris Contingency Program
qualification and details are subject to change without notice.
6. In all matters concerning the interpretation of the 2014 Polaris
Contingency Program, the decision of Polaris is final.
7. Polaris has the right to cancel or modify this program anytime,
without prior notice.
Contingency Payment
1. All contingency awards will be paid via check.
2. All contingency earned in 2014 must be claimed for
reimbursement by December 1, 2014.

I'm not eligible anyways since I race a 2011! Dammit. 2012 and newer only?

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
True, but this is THE race and has worldwide exposure. This is an opportunity missed IMHO. I know they sponsor teams, but how does one get more teams to show up? A bigger carrot. I'm using the NASCAR model here. NASCAR cars have less than the UTV's do in comparison to what rolls off the assembly line. However, win on Sunday, sell on Monday still rings true. It's the perception, not the fact that's the truth.

And as far as those teams are concerned, I'm going to bet they have a good portion of their own $$$ in the pot. It doesn't seem that anyone gives support like they used to. Tough economy, maybe when things loosen up it'll get better, time will tell.
True, NASCAR gets auto sponsors, but they have something KOH doesn't, live tv coverage on major networks. So far, the channels that broadcast KOH (not live of course), aren't available here except on satellite tv... so it is different.
Yeah, I wished Arctic Cat and others would step up, but they won't. And until one of us is CEO or the major shareholder, I doubt that will change... they put the money where it does them the most good..

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

OEMs sponsor racers to gather exposure at events without having to attend or sponsor every race. Polaris supports multiple teams at KOH including Guthrie. Both his and Crowleys cars last year weren't heavily modified. No more so then a hardcore trail rig. I think Mitch would attest that his car last year actually had the same amount if not less modifications as his old winning Rzr 800.

Kawasaki has supported KOH for a few years now and I don't think they and Team Green Reid ever got the credit or exposure they deserved.

I see all OEMs representing at consumer events. Arctic Cat sponsors a couple. Can-Am sponsors Mud Nats and did an event in Glamis on Thanksgiving. Yamaha sponsors a couple. John Deere sponsored our event. Polaris sponsored Trailfest and spent almost $2 million putting on 2 Camp RZRs, the biggest and most elaborate consumer ride events in 1 year!

The OEMs like KOH but with no Utv tv show they won't put there name on the event and spend money on it IMHO. Putting up prize money is great if you're Arctic Cat or Polaris since you have decent representation but even then your not guaranteed anything. Polaris sponsors the Mint but that's cause of the TV package primarily.

I hope we see KOH in 2015 but if not let's make 2014 the best one yet and hope Jeff Knoll puts on his own race at the SS Jambo!!

dkiewicz

Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
I hope we see KOH in 2015 but if not let's make 2014 the best one yet and hope Jeff Knoll puts on his own race at the SS Jambo!!

Hey, now there's a thought! Good on ya Joey!! :D I do think there is a GP waiting there.

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
I see all OEMs representing at consumer events. Arctic Cat sponsors a couple. Can-Am sponsors Mud Nats and did an event in Glamis on Thanksgiving. Yamaha sponsors a couple. John Deere sponsored our event. Polaris sponsored Trailfest and spent almost $2 million putting on 2 Camp RZRs, the biggest and most elaborate consumer ride events in 1 year!

The OEMs like KOH but with no Utv tv show they won't put there name on the event and spend money on it IMHO. Putting up prize money is great if you're Arctic Cat or Polaris since you have decent representation but even then your not guaranteed anything. Polaris sponsors the Mint but that's cause of the TV package primarily.

My point exactly. KOH doesn't bring Arctic Cat any more attention than just a bunch of good ol'boys going for a ride.

What KOH needs is someone to step up and work with Dave, produce an event that gathers more attention.

UTV Underground, UTV Off Road Mag and a few others really do a great job to cover KOH, but I think the OEMS for the most part, want the new customer, that guy that looks at UTVs and thinks, "hey, I want to do that". Most sane people look at KOH and say, "I'm happy to remain a spectator, no way would I want to try that".

That said, lets go race and have fun, if we can draw more racers to KOH, then sure, lets get them there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000