Silver State Start at Pit 2?

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
Justin I'm not disagreeing with you nor agreeing with the math because that's not the point. The spirit of the race is to start and follow the same course as everyone else. If you need help on the course then you get it ok the accepted conventional way. If another racer could get u a battery then your golden or if BITD towed u a couple miles maybe I could understand but missing 74 miles of the course is way outside the spirit and intention of the race. Anyone else who didn't make the start in every race this year received a DNF or a refund as a no show. That the point that's what's not fair first and foremost. The math is irrelevant if you can't get past the first thing. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. My gf just heard about it and she thought I was joking.
I took the opportunity to race every mile I could. The math is relevant when you skew the numbers like you are.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Ok shut the fuck up now George !! My Turn lol
Clearly Cognito Didnt prep for the race and when they had a low battery they should have changed it ?

Clearly the Problem
I started 31 and Raced all the way to Pit 2 I will have to check my gopro but I had a broke a axle right befor the pit and my guys changed it in about 7 Minutes Cognito started the race 4 minutes 30 seconds behind me and clearly are not as fast as me and never will be cognito pulled out of pit 2 about 3 minutes into my pit stop in front of me and other racers that started behind me and in front of them, Casey assessed a 1 hour penalty that should be longer they got ahead of 9 racers including me and because of that slowed me down with their dust and slow ass car ... im sure Casey does not understand that Cognito pulled out of pit 2 befor me and 7 or 8 others ... I lost the race by 1 minute and 8 seconds would not having to deal with dust and passing Cognito change my race ?? hell ya

I have no ill will for Cognito nor any of my fellow racers
Cognito has a great team and builds one of the best cars in the Desert

as for George to call them cheaters and not men ect ect wait to you call me a cheater George

is it a fucked up situation that has reared its ugly head due to bending the rules !! would I have done the same thing if I was told to do it ? hell yes .. do I think Casey would have ever believed that they would have got to pit 2 and fixed their car and pulled out infront of 9 others ? hell no

oh and Home Depot called and wants their 5" PVC 90s Back

and yes as we have been told many a time Its Casey and Corys way or the highway

Johnny that's a newsflash....... your willing to do anything to win? Haha! Probably cheaters isn't the right word taking unfair advantage is. We like our carbon 90's don't care for your gold king tut look but I don't say much. You got a fast car and your a good driver beyond that I hardly notice you. I have a life!

Justin just take the DNF and end it with the respect of your fellow racers. That's all I haven't got anymore to offer.

Last edited:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Lets put this whole deal like this. This was an issue in the UTV class and is being discussed on a UTV forum. This thread was started this morning and is only on page 3. If Casey would have done this to a TT, class 1, class 10 or any other class for that matter, this would have been on RDC and we would be on page 10 right now. Casey would not be taking calls, and racers would be calling for his head. In the next few days Casey would have a statement with revised finishing results and points. The other classes would be questioning. Casey's ethics and not following the series rules.

You want to really see how other racers feel post this issue on RDC and watch what happens.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Lets put this whole deal like this. This was an issue in the UTV class and is being discussed on a UTV forum. This thread was started this morning and is only on page 3. If Casey would have done this to a TT, class 1, class 10 or any other class for that matter, this would have been on RDC and we would be on page 10 right now. Casey would not be taking calls, and racers would be calling for his head. In the next few days Casey would have a statement with revised finishing results and points. The other classes would be questioning. Casey's ethics and not following the series rules.

You want to really see how other racers feel post this issue on RDC and watch what happens.

I think we all know what happens......defending the indefensible always has the same outcome.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
An 18th place finish isn't going to win anyone a championship. SS300 will need to be our throw away race to even thinking about winning a championship. We don't want second place. It's nothing to us.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
An 18th place finish isn't going to win anyone a championship. SS300 will need to be our throw away race to even thinking about winning a championship. We don't want second place. It's nothing to us.
No concept about the principle involved here.........DNF because that's what it was. You never started on the race course with everyone else.........DNS (did not start) maybe?

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
George you should call or email bitd again and express your points. Maybe they will overturn the decision they made.

SandNu

Sep 29, 2012
The Finish Line
No concept about the principle involved here.........DNF because that's what it was. You never started on the race course with everyone else.........DNS (did not start) maybe?
In all the years of reading posts and keeping quiet, I can not recall the last time I have ever witnessed somebody that just will not stop complaining. Personally I think your complaint is bullshit and you need to find something better to do with your time. Maybe like figuring out how to win a race instead of talking shit on a fucking forum. Get over it and SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Cognito why wasn't your crew radioed and told to come back to the starting line to repair the car? I know you said your battery was dead, so you could not radio, but BITD could have got on your channel and radioed your crew or radioed pit 1 or 2, then had the pit capton contact your crew to return to the starting line with a battery. Could your team have been reached via cell phone?

Would it have been faster for a chase truck to come back vs. being towed on a rope to them? Was this even thought of? To be honest this seems like the most logical way to have solved this whole issue. Then you would have not also incurred the 1 hour penalty. What other options were talked about before asking Casey or Casey asking you to be towed to the pit? Was Casey aware that you would be taken to Pit 2 or did he originally want to take you to pit 1? Just trying to understand how Casey came to this conclusion.

And like I have said, you played by the rules you were given, so to be mad at you is not fair. Now what's not fair is Casey established on the fly a second set of rules, and that was not fair to the other competitors. I get George being upset, but I think it needs to be directed at Casey & BITD.

If I was racing I too would not be happy and I would request a formal complaint be filed with BITD and I would like it in writing about how Casey is going to handle this situation in the future. Trust me when I say Robby Gordon would have legal looking into this. I know your plan is to use your throw out race at this race, but the fact is if you have another bad race or DNF this 18th place finish could and would still help you in the points standings.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
I couldn't radio my crew as my electrical system shut down literally on the starting line. We jumped out of the car and pushed it off the course. Pulled out my cell and had no service. Checked the battery and it was super hot and swelled up, I knew it was broken internally.

My crew was not listening to bitd channel and didn't know we never left the line. My truck with the battery was headed to pit 4 and my other truck was at pit 2.

Casey was on bitd channel to pit 2 captain while jeep speeds were leaving the start, but how the Heck would they find my crew in all that sea of chase trucks while race cars are coming thru their pit? Casey was telling them to send my truck back to the start. The last jeep speed left the line and Casey pulled out a pit closing time list from a truck. Pit 1 was closing in twenty minutes. He said there was not time for our truck to make it back to the start and gave me 2 options. Either take a dnf right there at the start, or get towed to pit 2 and find our crew, repair, then join the race from there with a penalty, and that my clock had already started. I wanted to start from the starting line, and he showed me the sheet and pit 1 was closing before the truck would get back to the start, yet pit 2 didn't close till 1:30. This was Casey's instructions, not my idea, I wanted to start right there.

They towed us to pit 2 and we had cell service there, found our truck, finally got thru to our other trucks cell that had the battery, had them turn around and head back to pit 2, they were almost to pit 4. We were waiting as the utvs were coming thru pit 2.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
We contemplated after the repair, to sit at pit 2 until all the utvs came thru, then start the race, but we knew we were getting a time penalty, figured it would be an hour, so figured we didn't need to wait. We entered right after Rodger Lee, and I think he started the race around position 26 or so.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I agree that BITD could have done a better job handling this. I don't think Cognito did anything wrong. Here is how I see it.

1. (39th off the line) Lambert 1918 Official start time was 11:00:00am.
  2. The last machine was off the line was Gubler 1801 at 11:14:30.
  3. So they sat 14:30 before the last machine left the line. Say 10 more mins to hook them up and tow them out.
  4. They traveled 22 miles on the highway to pit 2.
  5. I am unsure how fast they were towed down the highway but lets estimate 40mph (.66 miles per minute) estimated 33 minutes travel time.
  6. Total time it took 1918 to get to RM72 (PIT 2). Approx 57 minutes.
  7. It took the rest of the field over 1.5 hours to reach (PIT 2).
  8. Cognito repaired there car and entered the race at RM72 just behind LEE in the 1957 car. At RM50 LEE was in 8th place. So Cognito entered the race in 9th place (advancing 30 positions in the first 72 miles of the course.)
To be fair BITD should have held them in PIT 2 until the 39th class 1900 passed through PIT 2. They should have not advanced because they were towed & the 1 hour penalty.

Reactions: Trentk

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I couldn't radio my crew as my electrical system shut down literally on the starting line. We jumped out of the car and pushed it off the course. Pulled out my cell and had no service. Checked the battery and it was super hot and swelled up, I knew it was broken internally.

My crew was not listening to bitd channel and didn't know we never left the line. My truck with the battery was headed to pit 4 and my other truck was at pit 2.

Casey was on bitd channel to pit 2 captain while jeep speeds were leaving the start, but how the Heck would they find my crew in all that sea of chase trucks while race cars are coming thru their pit? Casey was telling them to send my truck back to the start. The last jeep speed left the line and Casey pulled out a pit closing time list from a truck. Pit 1 was closing in twenty minutes. He said there was not time for our truck to make it back to the start and gave me 2 options. Either take a dnf right there at the start, or get towed to pit 2 and find our crew, repair, then join the race from there with a penalty, and that my clock had already started. I wanted to start from the starting line, and he showed me the sheet and pit 1 was closing before the truck would get back to the start, yet pit 2 didn't close till 1:30. This was Casey's instructions, not my idea, I wanted to start right there.

They towed us to pit 2 and we had cell service there, found our truck, finally got thru to our other trucks cell that had the battery, had them turn around and head back to pit 2, they were almost to pit 4. We were waiting as the utvs were coming thru pit 2.
Your team does not have to be scanning BITD as BITD Operations could have jumped on your channel and contacted your team. This is how Weatherman contacts all competitor crews or cars. Either way thank you for the explanation. I'm sure looking back on it you realize this whole situation was not a good one. I also get it in the heat of the moment when your trying to get going you will do whatever you need to to get in the race and why would you turn down Caseys offer? Besides George I don't know many who would! Like Rusty said on time you were behind at pit 2, but phisically you were able to join the race in the top 7-8th place.

While I don't support Casey's decision and think it was the wrong call, I do think you should have made the choice to not enter the race at pit 2 until the back of the pack UTVs cleared Pit 2. Like Johnny said you entering the race where you did effected his race and probably several others. So I will say that decision was on you, but I get it.

Phisically what place did you cross the finish line in? Top 10?

Reactions: JoeyD23

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Your team does not have to be scanning BITD as BITD Operations could have jumped on your channel and contacted your team. This is how Weatherman contacts all competitor crews or cars. Either way thank you for the explanation. I'm sure looking back on it you realize this whole situation was not a good one. I also get it in the heat of the moment when your trying to get going you will do whatever you need to to get in the race and why would you turn down Caseys offer? Besides George I don't know many who would! Like Rusty said on time you were behind at pit 2, but phisically you were able to join the race in the top 7-8th place.

While I don't support Casey's decision and think it was the wrong call, I do think you should have made the choice to not enter the race at pit 2 until the back of the pack UTVs cleared Pit 2. Like Johnny said you entering the race where you did effected his race and probably several others. So I will say that decision was on you, but I get it.

Phisically what place did you cross the finish line in? Top 10?
I understand the heat of the moment and it's passed. What I said is I would take the tow to enter the race but no I would not take the points and would accept the DNF. At least that's what I meant. And I disagree I think a lot of the teams would do the same. Start towing cars that DNF and find out.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I can promise you we didn't enter the race in the top 15 at pit 2. There were a ton of utvs that went by. And we passed a ton more between 73 and 173. We were probably physically top 3 on the track at one point.

We finished 12th and after penalty we were 17th or 18th

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
I agree that BITD could have done a better job handling this. I don't think Cognito did anything wrong. Here is how I see it.

1. (39th off the line) Lambert 1918 Official start time was 11:00:00am.
  2. The last machine was off the line was Gubler 1801 at 11:14:30.
  3. So they sat 14:30 before the last machine left the line. Say 10 more mins to hook them up and tow them out.
  4. They traveled 22 miles on the highway to pit 2.
  5. I am unsure how fast they were towed down the highway but lets estimate 40mph (.66 miles per minute) estimated 33 minutes travel time.
  6. Total time it took 1918 to get to RM72 (PIT 2). Approx 57 minutes.
  7. It took the rest of the field over 1.5 hours to reach (PIT 2).
  8. Cognito repaired there car and entered the race at RM72 just behind LEE in the 1957 car. At RM50 LEE was in 8th place. So Cognito entered the race in 9th place (advancing 30 positions in the first 72 miles of the course.)
To be fair BITD should have held them in PIT 2 until the 39th class 1900 passed through PIT 2. They should have not advanced because they were towed & the 1 hour penalty.

I may have been in 8th place on time at 50 miles but I was not in 8th place physically. The only cars we had passed by the 2nd pit were those on the side of the road. And I had started 29th.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
First off what I learned in desert racing is never give up. Did casey make the wrong decision yes should of held him at pit 2 tell last vehicle passed pit2 and a 1 hr penalty to match his start as the last vehicle. But that was casey decision but to all the keyboard racers there was a huge wreck Justin lofton destroyed his truck and had to have co driver air vac out to, so BITD was a little distracted. Plus to the key board racers phone service sucked balls and radios couldn't reach to pit to pit, pit 1 was not safe only pit 2 was an option. Johnny has a very good point it screwed with his finishing spot and everyone in the top 20. Maybe top 20 should write a letter and have all sign it and see if casey will listen to you.

Reactions: JoeyD23 and Johnny

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000