Silver State Start at Pit 2?

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
It sounds like its all on the up and up...and as Casey says on occasion, its his race series... what he says goes period (I have been on the losing side in conversations with Casey a few times...its no bueno) Is what Casey did really fair to the rest of the class that they got to skip 73 miles of course and re-enter with a fresh car and only get a 1 hour penalty (and they couldn't have made those 73 miles in an hour)? probably not, but that doesn't matter.. I think what Congnito did, is what I (and prob the rest of us) would have done.. Casey made a call on the fly that that in review maybe wasn't the best...but it happened and didn't really effect anyone (maybe points but I dont know)... good call on Congnitos part from my perspective. On another note... another negative about starting in the rear.. we now have to really pay attention to the pit closings... it used to be to our advantage..now we are facing pit closings even if you are just having minor issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bajaxp

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
It sounds like its all in the up and up...and as Casey says on occasion, its his race series... what he says goes period (I have been on the losing side in conversations with Casey a few times...its no bueno) Is what Casey did really fair to the rest of the class that they got to skip 73 miles of course and re-enter with a fresh car and only get a 1 hour penalty (and they couldn't have made those 73 miles in an hour)? probably not, but that doesn't matter.. I think what Congnito did, is what I (and prob the rest of us) would have done.. Casey made a call on the fly that that in review maybe wasn't the best...but it happened and didn't really effect anyone (maybe points but I dont know)... good call on Congnitos part from my perspective. On another note... another negative about starting in the rear.. we now have to really pay attention to the pit closings... it used to be to our advantage..now we are facing pit closings even if you are just having minor issues.
To be clear, our race clock started at the starting line when we were supposed to take off in our designated starting position, just like the rest of you guys. Our clock was ticking while we waited for the unlimited and jeep speeds to start, it was ticking while getting towed down the highway, while we waited for a new battery, while we made the repair, etc. Then we also got an hour added on to our clock on top of all that.

Our clock did not start at pit 2, it started at mile 0, just like everyone else. Yes we bypassed 74 miles of the course, but not the time.

I would rather start in the morning early like we used to. I understand a lot of the utv teams do not want to due to the big cars and trucks. There are pros and cons both ways. The SS300 used to be a lot of fun in a UTV, this year the course was destroyed.

Reactions: JoeyD23

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
In reality they did get penalized. There car did not just appear in pit 2. It had to be towed to pit two once every other car had left. He came on course right behind me. Then on top of that he got a 1 hour penalty. Seems pretty fair to me. I would ask to be done the same way if I was in the same circumstance.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Knowing that you could get towed to a pit, repair car, and go on from there for a finish would have certainly changed the way my race went on Saturday.
If you break on the course and ask to have BITD retrieval come out and get you. They will tow you to the nearest pit or access road that your team is allowed to go to. Using a BITD retrieval is SOP. Its done at every race, but I have never heard of allowing a car that cant or did not take the green flag to be able to be pulled to a Pit. I could see them taking the green flag and a few miles later request assistance to the next pit, which would have been pit 1 or pulled back to the starting line. But to be taken to pit 2, 70+ miles into a 300 mile race and to only receive a 1 hour penalty seems like Cognito got a "Give Me" from Casey. In most cases I could see this as a DNS or DNF.

As much as I get that its not fair to a team who took the green flag and maybe had issues, down time or who are just racing for points and got beat by the Cognito team. But the fact is Casey is BITD and if he made the call then you cant fault the Cognito team. I would question Casey about this though, as their seems to be a double set of rules and how this could effect the UTV points series.

If Casey's decision bothers you and effected your finish and season points, I would call Casey and let him know your displeasure and explain why and how this effected your team. At this point their is nothing Casey is going to do about the SS300 results as they are final. But calling him and explaining your point of view or understanding his, might make this ruling different in the future. I would like to know Casey's reasoning for pulling them to Pit 2 though?

Last edited:

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
If you break on the course and ask to have BITD retrieval come out and get you. They will tow you to the nearest pit or access road that your team is allowed to go to. Using a BITD retrieval is SOP. Its done at every race, but I have never heard of allowing a car that cant or did not take the green flag to be able to be pulled to a Pit. I could see them taking the green flag and a few miles later request assistance to the next pit, which would have been pit 1 or pulled back to the starting line. But to be taken to pit 2, 70+ miles into a 300 mile race and to only receive a 1 hour penalty seems like Cognito got a "Give Me" from Casey. In most cases I could see this as a DNS or DNF.

As much as I get that its not fair to a team who took the green flag and maybe had issues, down time or who are just racing for points and got beat by the Cognito team. But the fact is Casey is BITD and if he made the call then you cant fault the Cognito team. I would question Casey about this though, as their seems to be a double set of rules and how this could effect the UTV points series.

If Casey's decision bothers you and effected your finish and season points, I would call Casey and let him know your displeasure and explain why and how this effected your team. At this point their is nothing Casey is going to do about the SS300 results as they are final. But calling him and explaining your point of view or understanding his, might make this ruling different in the future. I would like to know Casey's reasoning for pulling them to Pit 2 though?
The reasoning was pit 1 closes 30 minutes after the last jeep speed leaves the start.

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
On Casey's part it really is the right thing to do. And everyone else would have wished the same thing was done to them if they were in the same situation.

Reactions: Simi Dude

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I would rather start in the morning early like we used to. I understand a lot of the utv teams do not want to due to the big cars and trucks. There are pros and cons both ways. The SS300 used to be a lot of fun in a UTV, this year the course was destroyed.
Welcome to the club of racing the same course all the other limited classes have to run. Running in the proper order will actually validate the UTV class as your times are going to be on the same torn up course as the classes around you. Maybe now more will understand the idea behind increasing the tire size rule.

As far starting early before the TT's. That was the biggest mistake Casey has probably ever made, and the proof was at the last V2R race. And to be honest I dont think the UTV voices are what made Casey move the UTV's back. It was the multiple TT and Class 1 teams that I know of that called Casey and said move them or we might not race with you, as it was way to dangerous. Guys like Cam Steel, TSCO & Herbst are very vocal about stuff like this, they dont want to hurt or kill someone. And the V2R was as close as you could come without hurting or killing someone.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
The reasoning was pit 1 closes 30 minutes after the last jeep speed leaves the start.
Like I said I think Casey gave you guys a huge "Give Me" and that was his call. In most cases the rules are laid out where you have to take the starting line under your own power, and make all the check points or you are a DNS or DNF. But like I said I dont fault you guys as you requested assistance and Casey made the decision to allow you to be towed to mile 73 to get fix and be in the race.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
Also, there was no stop check prior to Pit 2, if there would have been, Casey would not have allowed that. You have to be under your own power to pass thru a stop check.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
Welcome to the club of racing the same course all the other limited classes have to run. Running in the proper order will actually validate the UTV class as your times are going to be on the same torn up course as the classes around you. Maybe now more will understand the idea behind increasing the tire size rule.

As far starting early before the TT's. That was the biggest mistake Casey has probably ever made, and the proof was at the last V2R race. And to be honest I dont think the UTV voices are what made Casey move the UTV's back. It was the multiple TT and Class 1 teams that I know of that called Casey and said move them or we might not race with you, as it was way to dangerous. Guys like Cam Steel, TSCO & Herbst are very vocal about stuff like this, they dont want to hurt or kill someone. And the V2R was as close as you could come without hurting or killing someone.
we definitely need bigger tires now like you said. Hopefully these cv joints and axles will hold up to a larger tire.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
we definitely need bigger tires now like you said. Hopefully these cv joints and axles will hold up to a larger tire.
I heard 32's for 2016 over the weekend, that seems like a lot tire though...
Also heard improvements in starting order based on time.
These two I heards from a guy that races a keyboard in the dez.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeyD23

racer570

Apr 10, 2012
houston ms
I don't want to sidetrack a thread, but I have a question. I had two flats between pit 3 and 4. I rode the flats till they both was just rims, and almost got stuck in the silt beds. When we reached the first paved road, we decided to stop, instead of just tearing the rear off the car ( anybody that raced knows how deep the ruts was, and with just a 14" wheel, I was just dragging the trailing arm, rear axle, and lower radius rod). Could I have had BITD bring me a tire, or could I have had my pit bring me one? thanks 1970

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I don't want to sidetrack a thread, but I have a question. I had two flats between pit 3 and 4. I rode the flats till they both was just rims, and almost got stuck in the silt beds. When we reached the first paved road, we decided to stop, instead of just tearing the rear off the car ( anybody that raced knows how deep the ruts was, and with just a 14" wheel, I was just dragging the trailing arm, rear axle, and lower radius rod). Could I have had BITD bring me a tire, or could I have had my pit bring me one? thanks 1970
Yes...(BITD) can bring you a tire (not your support team)...spares...etc

As far as tires go to...I think tire size should be open...if you want to run a 33" than do so.. your cv's, belts may suffer but the racers call. Why limit to 31-32's or 33's?

Reactions: NIKAL

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
your pit support can take parts to a bitd official who then can give to you.

ALBANATE

Feb 13, 2012
LOL, this is entertaining to say the least. I find no fault in Cognito accepting the offer made by Casey, but the offer by Casey to me should have never been made. Just seems ridiculous that a mechanical can keep you from starting a race, yet you are allowed to "bypass" a large percentage of the course, make your repairs, and then start the race... oh well. Like stated above... it's Casey's series. lol. I will stick with SCORE...just my $.02.

Nate
Alba Racing

Reactions: mearsman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000