Winning The Baja 1000 w/ UTV Inc., Johnnys Race Report

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

We are so stoked to feature Johnny Angal's race report and story from the 2014 Baja 1000. The story takes us from his preparation of the Baja 1000, the race itself and of course what it was like to WIN the famed Baja 1000!

Click the image and enjoy the read!

Huge thank you to Johnny for taking the time to write this story and for allowing us to publish it for him. His stories are always great reads and we are honored to have the chance to put it out for him. Keep up the great work Johnny!

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
Awesome race report , this was an amazing race and while we sure would have liked to slide in first I have to say that your team did an amazing job and deserved the win! It was great racing with your whole team and again congratulations!!

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Did I miss it ... UTV Inc did NO actual pre-running in Baja ?

Congrats on win and very cool write up.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
That's awesome! A well deserved win. it was impressive to see the pace that was set. I beleive it has made people realize they need to step up there game.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
What! Where's the story about heading home from La Paz? That too is part of the adventure, and sometimes crazier then the race itself.

Nick

Un Banned - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 3, 2009
Mesa, AZ
You read correctly we did absolutely 0 miles of pre running and 3 of us had never sat in the car before race day!
That alone makes the story worth its weight in gold, but Johnny left that out.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Congrats again and looking forward to more epic battles in 2015.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
So, is your trophy like the Stanley cup? This week in Johnnys house, next week in Brandens, then the shop...... Lol!

I have 2 questions for you guys. Which one of you persevered the most during the race. I assume you guys will say it was equally as challenging for each of you, but there had to be a crux that one of you had to overcome more than the other.

Also, is your personal satisfaction with your first win feel more or less enhanced because it was a shared effort? I'm stoked for you guys. I knew your first win was lingering right around the next corner, but did you have to do it at the 1000?

No harm, no foul. I missed the mark on the prep anyway, and Marc made some mistakes as well. People thought I was sandbagging when I said I was under the gun to get the car ready in time. I wish I had that luxury. It was as close as we ever came to not making a race. At least we still kept you honest until late in the race. Even without the final breakdown at RM 1075 or so, we would have succumbed to the whopping 2 1/2 hours of penalties assessed to us by Marc's good friend Roger (so they say) anyhow, so it wasn't our race to lose after all. I'll start calling Johnny the "Dominatrix":D

Markflexes

Tear It Up 2011 RZR XP
Feb 28, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Good stuff Johnny. Thanks for the race report. We X boys battled hard, but, on this day, the UTV Inc. team and car was better. Congratulations to all who completed or attempted to complete this epic challenge. And, congrats to Badassmav, MB and the 1905 team on taking home the SCORE 1900 class championship. :D :cool:

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Great article and reading. As always, Johnny keeps it entertaining. By the way you know he was thinking Baja non-stop, if he was not having fun at the dunes.

2015 season should be exciting.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Great read Johnny!

And my father used to let me drive slow, in the driveway. I'm an excellent driver.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000