Whos gonna take the BITD Henderson 160????

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
...my point (if it has to be explained further)..is that all drivers piloting supercharged lightly built golf carts have a significant race day equalizer built in to their every decision on the course...the life of the person next to them.
Motorcycles, atvs, even everything all the way up to trophy trucks (comparatively) built much heavier don't bear near the second to second responsibility that this new class of machine demands in this regard.

It's pretty bad (in my opinion) when you have to sit down a younger generation and explain the above to them..

...without what is rarely (if ever) talked about being made light of.
I think most of these cars are built pretty solid for a severe accident. The car we built for Paul Cooper did its job at the 2015 mint 400. We had GPS speed recorded at 65mph when him and Brian Bush made contact sending Paul into a tumble. Minor injuries came from that crash.

If your entire point was drivers should be thinking of their Co-Dog's I would like to think that weights on everyones mind.....and even more so in Baja where being in the race car is actually the easy job.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
"..Aside from the rules which makes it a moot point:.."
The point is hardly mute as I'm illustrating that Johnny has to live with his decisions in a turbo charged 'golf cart' (leveling the playing field drastically) just as much as the guy who doesn't possess anywhere near the same budget concerning this class in particular.
This reasoning is also why I strongly believe that the rules as written must be followed 'or else' (with the latter penalty having nothing to do with fines or finishes).

"..I seemed to focus more in an SS and in retrospect liked not worrying about the other person, but I still drove as hard in 2 seat cars. Now that I'm older I like having a co-dog with me..."
There is no way that I could ever be able to personally (honestly) drive just as hard in both situations.
If this is the attitude out there today then your opinion/experience explains a lot to me in terms of what we hear about out on the course in terms of the rules or a lack thereof.

Last edited:

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
I think most of these cars are built pretty solid for a severe accident. The car we built for Paul Cooper did its job at the 2015 mint 400. We had GPS speed recorded at 65mph when him and Brian Bush made contact sending Paul into a tumble. Minor injuries came from that crash.

If your entire point was drivers should be thinking of their Co-Dog's I would like to think that weights on everyones mind.....and even more so in Baja where being in the race car is actually the easy job.
'Again'........my 'point' is that these cars are unlike any other (presently) concerning the horsepower to weight ratio and how lightly they are built. This fact is a pretty big equalizer in terms of less economically advantaged teams competing.
I don't care how fast you want to go in the desert..the guy (or gal) next to you becomes your moral brake and throttle..ONLY if you believe in the latter.

Not sure how much more easily it can be explained...yet I'm obviously arguing with those who believe that these cars are built one heck of a lot better (safety-wise) than I do. Not to compare a race build with my own machine..yet I won't even ride passenger in my own XP1000 and haven't since my first Rzr800 (our Rhino was bad enough).

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
...my point (if it has to be explained further)..is that all drivers piloting supercharged lightly built golf carts have a significant race day equalizer built in to their every decision on the course...the life of the person next to them.
Motorcycles, atvs, even everything all the way up to trophy trucks (comparatively) built much heavier don't bear near the second to second responsibility that this new class of machine demands in this regard.

It's pretty bad (in my opinion) when you have to sit down a younger generation and explain the above to them..

Man you and George should have a pretty good year next year. With Polaris giving George a Can Am to run next year and you getting the Kobalt "Tool of the year award", Johnny, Cognito and Jagged should watch their rear view mirror next year.

I'm convinced you just like to see your own words on the screen.

Reactions: Sandman365

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA

Anyone driving with a co-pilot has the same concerns no matter what class they are racing. The race UTVs are built with safety in mind just like every other class. You are no safer in a trophy truck taking a tumble at 100 mph, than in a race UTV at 60mph. Its going to hurt, but if the car is built right you and your co-pilot will walk away.

The guys with biggest set of balls are the co-pilots that have to trust the driver.

Reactions: Johnny

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
'Again'........my 'point' is that these cars are unlike any other (presently) concerning the horsepower to weight ratio and how lightly they are built. This fact is a pretty big equalizer in terms of less economically advantaged teams competing.
I don't care how fast you want to go in the desert..the guy (or gal) next to you becomes your moral brake and throttle..ONLY if you believe in the latter.

Not sure how much more easily it can be explained...yet I'm obviously arguing with those who believe that these cars are built one heck of a lot better (safety-wise) than I do. Not to compare a race build with my own machine..yet I won't even ride passenger in my own XP1000 and haven't since my first Rzr800 (our Rhino was bad enough).

[/QUOTE]
I guess what I am saying is that for weight to horsepower....this is not lightly built.

Skip to about 13:00....Our customer walked away with minor injuries from this crash.

Reactions: Rynomx785

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
Man you and George should have a pretty good year next year. With Polaris giving George a Can Am to run next year and you getting the Kobalt "Tool of the year award", Johnny, Cognito and Jagged should watch their rear view mirror next year.
I'm convinced you just like to see your own words on the screen.
I'm simply speaking for myself.
You're obviously speaking for a racing community who chooses to stay silent when their fans offer even the simplest of truths and are continually attacked for doing so.
Your words on the screen are our only gauge of where we should put our hard earned dollars next.
Since they (obviously) approve of their fan's (and customer's) treatment in this regard, then..

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010

You have alot of opinions that are never based on Facts. I would not call a power to weight ration of roughly 1 to 15 a good ratio. I'm not sure how who ever you are would build a car, but not one person has had more then minor injuries. Paul Cooper took a pretty big hit at the Mint and saved both of their lives. Heck they walked away.

So you might think something should be another way but that does not make you miss guided facts, FACT. Unless your CNN or MSNBC.

These cars are pretty heavy for what they are powered turbo charged or not.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I'm simply speaking for myself.
You're obviously speaking for a racing community who chooses to stay silent when their fans offer even the simplest of truths and are continually attacked for doing so.
Your words on the screen are our only gauge of where we should put our hard earned dollars next.
Since they (obviously) approve of their fan's (and customer's) treatment in this regard, then..

I did sleep at a Holiday Express last night, but I still cant decipher what you are trying to prove or make a point about.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
Anyone driving with a co-pilot has the same concerns no matter what class they are racing...You are no safer in a trophy truck taking a tumble
at 100 mph, than in a race UTV at 60mph...if the car is built right you and your co-pilot will walk away..."
When comparative physics or even basic structural engineering meets the millennial generation...you're right...it is (obviously) 'past' time to walk away.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I guess what I am saying is that for weight to horsepower....this is not lightly built.

Skip to about 13:00....Our customer walked away with minor injuries from this crash.

Hard to say that is lightly built or a "turbo charged golf cart".[/QUOTE]

This is not a turbo'ed car....but I think most will agree when I say our car run's like a turbo'd car.

Reactions: shane88

CodyNygren

#1916 Lone Star Racing
Apr 25, 2013
Farmington, NM

Anyone driving with a co-pilot has the same concerns no matter what class they are racing. The race UTVs are built with safety in mind just like every other class. You are no safer in a trophy truck taking a tumble at 100 mph, than in a race UTV at 60mph. Its going to hurt, but if the car is built right you and your co-pilot will walk away.

The guys with biggest set of balls are the co-pilots that have to trust the driver.
At the Henderson 250 I was in one of the worst if not worst accidents in UTV while Desert Racing, well at least the worst I have heard of happening and let me tell you these "Golf Carts" are built a hell of a lot stronger than you think. We cartwheeled our RZR once and barrel rolled it 4 additional times at 72MPH. Yes 5 complete rolls! Me and my Co-dog both walked away with no injuries and were talking about it over a beer later that night. Our Lonestar Racing built chassis did its job and kept us safe as the chassis has no major damage and is still straight! So I do not believe arguing over if these are built to light or strong enough is even a valid question little alone an argument.

As for being concerned as a driver of your co-dog and his/her safety; yes it crosses your mind but when your co-dog is the one pushing you and he trust you and the car, that thought no longer arises. We both know the risks we are taking by strapping in the car. With this said that thought is not a brake and if it is a brake to you, you will not be fast enough to compete with the top teams. As I learned in this last race you have to put everything aside from the time the green light comes on to the time you finish or in my case take a ride!

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
When comparative physics or even basic structural engineering meets the millennial generation...you're right...it is (obviously) 'past' time to walk away.
Do you think these are built with a "how to stick weld" kit for beginners?

The point is the race UTVs are build to withstand a serious crash, as should any desert race car. There is a reason BITD and SCORE have certain standards in which a car is to be built.

I think your assumptions about a race UTV are insulting to the people that spend 1000s of hours building and prepping them.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I'd say the 1906 car wreck was pretty violent. I agree with Cody the LSR cage is solid and has taken a direct hit at 70 mph and rolled at V2R at 70+....like he said just scratched the paint. Most people building a car probably shouldn't build their own cage imo.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
Hard to say that is lightly built or a "turbo charged golf cart".
This is not a turbo'ed car....but I think most will agree when I say our car run's like a turbo'd car.[/QUOTE]
My point was more geared towards whether or not it was built like a golf cart. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000