What will we see in 2016?

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
arctic cat letting Robby Gordon have his way. and him saying a big F y'all to everyone of the other OEMs and jamming out a completely out of the box machine compared to whats out right now

2 more PSI in the maverick. word on the street is they have a re-design but i am not sure what it is. i have watched them go full foward with their desert campaign spending more money out west this year for sponsorship and views and publicity to put the Mav Turbo in peoples minds. they may be doing it to lead up to a new release of a re-design or a whole new desert specific machine?

yamaha is prob gonna re-doodle their toodle and throw a turbo on the 3cylinder to run with the big dawgs.

honda has been spending a lot of time in the desert testing something. i dont think its going to be a radical out of the box style machine. i think its going to be a decent machine to get their feet wet into the sport/offroad scene similar to what can-am did with the cow'mander back in 2011. i think honda is going to re-tool their pioneer into more of a sporty machine to get their feet wet and within the near future plans to have a pure sport.

kawie has been testing a machine with some guts to it. word on the skreet is that is has 150hp and weighs less than the competitors. apparently been testing it for quite some time, i heard the last two years.... dunno when it will come out or if it will come out.

i got zero clue about polaris. they put out 6 new machines in the last 8 months. its hard to keep up with what they are doing and how fast its getting done. i knew about one or two of them but not the whole shebang. i wouldnt doubt that the XPTurbo will be their knight in shining armour for another year and a half. we will prob be midway thru 2017 before we see another big product line change or big advance. their current engine will handle more power. if can-am just plays with the boost and tuning to unlock 10 more HP, polaris will return with 15 more HP. their engine and turbo system is by far more capable than what Can-am put on the maverick stock for stock. the polaris at full steam will make a substantial amount more power than the can-am at full steam unless can-am changed turbo and mapping ect. i think these two are playing the horsepower game at the moment and polaris has the XPTurbo built well enough to stay at the top of the horsepower war for another year or two easily. i figure we will see probably two specialty models like a desert specific model or a dune specific model soon, before the end of duning season. and then more power come march/april from a re-map and a few more PSI. some schnazzy new colors in august, and probably something big in 2017 new years.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
the old ones worked just fine if you could put up with all the things that didnt work right. the suspension on the wildcat along with its true 2wd and locking front diff have made it absolutely amzing in so many different areas. the problems were that they took an old farm machine engine and tried to crank it up and double the original HP they got out of it back in 2008 when they released it, and the engine just didnt like it. the diffs they use in the wildcat are the same ATV diffs they use all the way down to the 500ATV. yeah thats not gonna handle lots of power and folks landing jumps under power.

Robby is changing the suspension (apparently for the better) and engine and trans and driveline.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
The the photos Robby showed us at parker it's an all new machine. The way I understand it Robby built the car and handed it off to artic cat to mass produce. If it's anything like what I seen in photos it will be a contender in both NA and Turbo

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
You guys have every reason to be cynical but I'm super excited to see what AC bring out to the Mint for the race if the rumors are true. Also a 4 seat XYZ Turbo would be Badd ass. The turbo for that motor has been around for a long time I believe and you know it will be reliable.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I am looking forward to what Arctic Cat and Robby came up with, i know that the Speed series mid-year release can't be the whole deal...that was just lipstick on a pig.

I am also looking forward to see if Kawi releases a 150hp Na motor with longtravel, i have always liked the T4 and could get down for a nice sport model Kawi...

Polaris left plenty on the table with the recent turbo model so should they get poked and prodded enough they might let the dogs eat...

I really don't think Yami will unleash a turbo model, i think they are going to wait till the verdict is in on the model they have now, and possibly mess with a 4 seat Na model...i think it will be a couple years and a redesign before we see a Turbo Yami

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
"...honda has been spending a lot of time in the desert testing something. i dont think its going to be a radical out of the box style machine. i think its going to be a decent machine to get their feet wet into the sport/offroad scene similar to what can-am did with the cow'mander back in 2011. i think honda is going to re-tool their pioneer into more of a sporty machine to get their feet wet and within the near future plans to have a pure sport.
If that first statement is fact (of late) it would jive with the amount of ad dollars that they've put in to the Pioneer (of late). Whether they can afford to deliver something in-between that machine and what is about to be defined as pure sport in '16 is a strategy familiar to their fans (see the Rincon atv's debut year) yet a bigger risk for them today with 144 HP as the new norm.

The HP jump this year was just too much. I am happy with my 'mere' 107 HP (while realizing that these numbers are somewhat pie-in-the-sky) yet would trade even some of those ponies for reliability. On the other hand, Honda would be making a big mistake with this long on the sidelines by catering to that (practical) attitude with so many younger people today not necessarily appreciating it.

They need to make a significantly higher power-to-the-ground splash (now), jump-start (or more accurately 'defibrillate' from pretty much dead) sport loyalty offload and give potential customers (new and old) at least some kind of idea that they are serious long term. Honda fans understand that a lot of fun can be had at the Pioneer level let alone anything a bit sportier as many here own now. Are they willing to take baby steps/wait (now) on something that could quite possibly never come at 20-25K or more a step? A souped up Pioneer (now) wouldn't make that decision any easier.

The recognition of legacy Honda quality for some of us or even younger buyers (if that fact even pans out) most likely won't translate in to the sales they're after if 'good enough' ('me too/too late' HP/torque numbers) doesn't approach even the '15 XPT standard. I would bite at the right numbers and build quality just this side of that fast changing standard yet would definitely shy away from anything less.

There are just too many other companies willing to put you in to something that you've never experienced today with life being short and uncertainty in today's world rampant.

Last edited:

Queen Racing

Make RZR's go BRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP - UTVUnderground A
May 4, 2010
Lake Havasu City, AZ
www.queenracing.com
More mid season rule changes, teams being provoked to cheat because of rules, Polaris dominating, Can Am cars continuing to reprogram their electronics and Polaris cant, 32" tires kick ass until more drive line failures start, CLAIMED stock TURBO cars running mid and high 90 mph, Just the normal!! Not too much new except for the unknown of a fully build bad ass Yamaha motor and a good driver. And also the Gordon build AC, that will be a interesting supercharged r1 based motor for sure! Should be fun!!!! Cant wait!

Reactions: facteryfmf

UTVOVERGROUND

Jun 4, 2014
Hopefully the instrument cluster / dash interior from the Polaris General will be adopted and introduced in the Rzr lineup next model yr.

Reactions: JoeyD23

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000