What tire's & size's?????

redrhino99

Redrhino99
Jun 30, 2009
Apple Valley/CA/US
Well I'm going to get the DWT Diablo Rims. So now I'm trying to decide the tire's. I was thinking Maxxis Bighorns. Plus what sizes should I go. Right now I have 26x9x12 in the front & 26x12x12 in the rear. Or should I stick with one size tire on all 4 corners??? Info is appreciated...​

RhinoMaster

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor - Black Rhino Perf
You might also look at the Douglas Moapa tires. They are very similar to the Bighorns, except a 26x12x12 Bighorn retails at almost $200 and the same size Moapa retails at just over $100, and we sell them for less than that.

The choice of tire size is a personal choice. The same size all around allows you to rotate, although a 12" wide tire up front is going to make the steering a little heavy. We've actually been outfitting quite a few customers with 9" all around. Still plenty of tire, allows rotating, and for racers it drops a lot of unsprung weight.

RhinoMaster

If you're racing, then ask around. We've definately seen a trend toward 9" all around. Not to say everyone is doing it, but it's pretty common.

And on the Bighorn's, I certainly don't mean to sound like I'm knocking them. I've been a Bighorn fan for many years and run them on many UTVs. It's just that tire prices have gone crazy lately. It's good to find a bargain now and then. Didn't mean to put a sales pitch spin on it.

In fact my favorite tire right now is the Maxxis Cerros. Not the right tred for everyone, but works great for what I do.

Seaver

Jul 13, 2010
Boise ID
Red, Yes, for sure the 26" 9" all the way around, you will be surprised at the gains from the "skinnies" on the rear. and the 2.0's are nice, around $100 each from Rocky mountain ATV, Plus you already have some gift cards to use:)

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
We've had a little success in the desert with a "staggered set".;) .02
Mike
on a rhino? lol J/K

Bighorns @ $200? what are you smoking? This site is about information, not misinformation.

the largest 27x12x12 OG bighorn 1 is only 128 at RMATV.

26x9x12 are $119 each
26x12x12 is 123 each.

I do like the Maxxis Ceros tires, roll very smooth and take abuse.
26x9x12 104 each
26x11x12 109 each

the Ceros will go on my XP9 when the stockers wear out.

Seaver

Jul 13, 2010
Boise ID
lol 07 fj I was thinking the same thing about the prices..

Jagged, I should have stated that my opinion was based on the type of racing we are involved in.. Our WORCS races are 15 to 19 miles max. Why do you guys like the 12"wide rears? I totally understand that the BITD and SCORE stuff is totally different world but still curious.

RhinoMaster

This site is about information, not misinformation.
Thanks for straightening me out on that. RM shows retail on that tire at $204. Our tire warehouse shows retail at $215. I'll be sure and check with RM before I quote prices again. :D

I also thought that since Douglas is a sponsor of this site, it would be nice to mention that they have a new tire that is worth looking at, especially since it costs less either at retail or selling price :cool:

Mad Motor

Madhouse Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spo
Dec 7, 2010
hope this helps ya we at madhouse have been running 27-9-12 kenda sbs , and 26-9-14 bighorns.all of which on hiper wheels and they have been performing great.maxxis offers a great contingency for all classes at worcs as well.we are a dealer for all these products if we would be glad to help in any way if we can

Mr Bad

Apr 24, 2011
Lancaster, CA
This is great info! I ended up running Ceros's 26's staggerd at the Anza race and realized I need to run 25's and 9's all around.

I had power to turn them but too much tire for sure!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
This is great info! I ended up running Ceros's 26's staggerd at the Anza race and realized I need to run 25's and 9's all around.

I had power to turn them but too much tire for sure!
just change the rears to 9's, you should be fine then Bob.

Seaver

Jul 13, 2010
Boise ID
Mr Bad! glad you had fun at the race,, addicting for sure.. Redrhino should chime it, he switched to the 9" all the way around on his RZR 4 and loves it. He got 3rd on sat with a passenger.

Your on the right track.. as for the 26" or 25"'s thats a tough call.. I am a big advocate of light wight tires and wheels.. but Im not sure Im ready to give up the ground clearance and go 25".. Its your call. The ruts were deep at Anza and thats standard with those races..

racemx587

Standing On My 4 Big Horns SUCKA! - UTVUnderground
Mar 28, 2009
You guys are sounding pretty convincing to go to 9's haha. I'm looking into it as well, I figure it will make my rzr rev a little more freely w/o all that extra weight. Now what about 12" or 14" rims? Anyone ran 14"x9" on the rears? Would that be a good idea?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000