what SxS to get???

rgreen

Feb 22, 2011
I have been looking at the all the side by sides, im looking at the can-am and the rsr. I want to add a back seat and dont want the wheelbase of the rzr 4s. what the word on the can am, good junk... just looking to figure out whats what.

thanks,
richard

BLR

Dec 15, 2010
Florence, Oregon
I have Commander X that I think is great for what & where we ride.
What type of riding do you do the most?
The RZR 4 is nice, but they are having some issues with the frame bending...needs some extra gussets
There are a few nice Rhino's out there that are 4seaters, some with stock/built engines and also getting to be quite a few that have put the 800 rotaxs in them...
Also teryx's are good machines.
This is if you are looking for used...
As you can see there are options you just have to figure out which is best for you...
Just keep asking questions and it will soon be obvious...:)

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Get a RZR 4...they were engineered for four people. Putting people in the bed is not a good idea. RZR 4's are extremely tough...ask me how I know:)

rgreen

Feb 22, 2011
I not a real fan of how long the rzrs 4 is and the bed space is real poor. Im only gonna add one bucket in the bed for my little child. i do some woods as well as sand dunes. I also want to be able to remove the back seat so i use the bed when i go hunting. i just think the rhino is just out of date with all the new thing everyone else is doing.

Reactions: 1 person

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
well this is tough...If hunting is your thing and you are set on a bucket seat in the bed then you really need to look at Kawasaki Teryx and Can-Am Commander but the Commanders bed does not lend it self to a seat real well so that leaves you with Teryx. Of course Rhino is there but you have already stated the obvious which is the Rhino has lost all edge in the power department.

You may also consider just waiting until Summer time to see what these manufacturers all have up their sleeves. Something tells me we may see some new platforms?

Badbinder77

Side X Side Nation
Mar 3, 2010
Elko Nv
I would say the commander is your best bet as long as your child is small and you don't plan on packing them around when they get a little older, there won't be much leg room. The teryx is a great machine with more room, but won't have the fun factor that the commander has if power and speed is your thing. I would stay away from the rzr if you are putting a seat in the bed, I would still look into the rzr 4 though. The extra length is a plus, it has a super nice ride and is even more capable then shorter wheel based rides when out wheeling most of the time.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
to make a 4 seat conversion and for the money, the EFI teryx would be the choice and length is an issue.

if not wanting to go crazy with a 4 seater, get the model with the upgraded shocks on the kawi, they work very well.

Plenty of HP mods available also when you add the extra weight without breaking the bank.

when you add it all up though, you prob could have gotten a RZR4 with a warranty for less $$$ and they really do work very well bone stock.

rgreen

Feb 22, 2011
Lets not forget about the Polaris Ranger. Those are quality and have load sensitive shocks and work great for hunting
i like to do some sport type riding/driving, mostly sport but when it comes time for some hunting i want that too.

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
The Rzr4 is the best sport/multi person vehicle. Way better than having a rear seat added to a 3 person UTV. It will ride better and outperform most of the 2 seaters. I have seen many people hunt with the Rzr bed although being small as it is. The Teryx might be the best combo for hunting/sport and carrying an extra passenger. The commander or Rzr would not be safe having a rear seat.

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
The Rzr4 is the best sport/multi person vehicle. Way better than having a rear seat added to a 3 person UTV.
I agree full-heartedly. My personal ride is a Teryx with a cage and rear seat for my two kids...but I would honestly far prefer a RZR4 as I've spent alot of time in them and they are truly great machines. My only issue is that I'm holding out...hoping that an XP 4 seater will come through some day...I'll sell my kids for one of those!:D
Mike

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
I agree full-heartedly. My personal ride is a Teryx with a cage and rear seat for my two kids...but I would honestly far prefer a RZR4 as I've spent alot of time in them and they are truly great machines. My only issue is that I'm holding out...hoping that an XP 4 seater will come through some day...I'll sell my kids for one of those!:D
Mike
I would be in the market for a Rzr 4 XP as well. That will be one awesome ride with suspension and longer wheelbase...oh yeah and 88HP

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
I did the whole kids in the back on my first build, a long travel Yamaha Rhino. it worked OK when the kids are about 2 years old, but only when cruising. That was before the RZR 4 came out. I would NEVER recommend adding a back row of seats to the bed of a UTV. Too much additional weight, poor seat placement (right above/behind the tires), and not as safe.

Do yourself a favor and look real hard at the RZR 4 or wait on another manufacturer. I am with Joey...wouldn't doubt that we see one or two new four seaters introduced this year.

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
What I like about the commander is that you can ditch the bed and mount the seat alot lower for CG and have plenty of room for legs. Because it is Independent trailing style arms there is nothing in the way to mount the seat. Big improvement over people putting the seat in the bed and no where for legs! Thats one reason why I have ran away from the xp, but if they come out with the XP 4 that would be sick!

rgreen

Feb 22, 2011
All good points. i might just wait and see what this rzr4 xp gonna look like and ride like. i just dont like how long they are, i have been watching videos on them and they just about high center on almost anything.

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
well this is tough...If hunting is your thing and you are set on a bucket seat in the bed then you really need to look at Kawasaki Teryx and Can-Am Commander but the Commanders bed does not lend it self to a seat real well so that leaves you with Teryx. Of course Rhino is there but you have already stated the obvious which is the Rhino has lost all edge in the power department.

You may also consider just waiting until Summer time to see what these manufacturers all have up their sleeves. Something tells me we may see some new platforms?
So you are hinting that someone is coming out with a new ride?? Hell yea I love the utv market. It justs keeps stepping it up!

rgreen

Feb 22, 2011
maybe i'll just have to sit back and wait. things keep changing by the time i get one the next day something else will be out better and bader then what was "top of the line" last week. its kinda crazy.

FBT

That is what I would do. What with the rumors of new stuff and pics of some of them, you can't lose by waiting. if something comes out this summer that really floats your boat then go for it. If not, with the new fast stuff out there guys are going to be selling machines they have 20k in for 50-60 cents on the dollar, just trying to get the bucks to get the newest coolest.
You win either way. Give it til Sept. and see what shakes loose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000