UTVinc Baja 500

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
I marked the GPS location the car broke,seen on Google Earth/Maps you can see how remote it was...Capture.JPG
IMAG0604_1.jpg

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
Sorry to hear about your View attachment 11600 Problems.
Not sure who this was directed to yet since my post was directly above it, I'll tell the story.

Many on here are perhaps too young to remember a similar shaping of who we all are in this sport 'way back when' on a local sand forum out in California. They used the Brokeback Mountain movie theme and Polaris Rzrs to broadcast the impression (in no uncertain terms) of what we all thought was hilarious and (again) basically who we all were as people in general at the local trailheads.

Fast forward to today...and there is a mobile billboard floating around our community right now decrying the Republican Party (again in general) for being judge, jury and executioner for the LGBT(Q?) community.

I got kicked off that forum for taking a contrary stance in terms of what is appropriate/what is not and have since then pretty much given up on what I ever believed this sport could be in terms of reputation, community, land stewardship or even the opportunity to educate (safety).

I'll quit this one instead so as to not get in the way of all the backslapping about to ensue.

"It's Your Legacy" folks...

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Not sure who this was directed to yet since my post was directly above it, I'll tell the story.

Many on here are perhaps too young to remember a similar shaping of who we all are in this sport 'way back when' on a local sand forum out in California. They used the Brokeback Mountain movie theme and Polaris Rzrs to broadcast the impression (in no uncertain terms) of what we all thought was hilarious and (again) basically who we all were as people in general at the local trailheads.

Fast forward to today...and there is a mobile billboard floating around our community right now decrying the Republican Party (again in general) for being judge, jury and executioner for the LGBT(Q?) community.

I got kicked off that forum for taking a contrary stance in terms of what is appropriate/what is not and have since then pretty much given up on what I ever believed this sport could be in terms of reputation, community, land stewardship or even the opportunity to educate (safety).

I'll quit this one instead so as to not get in the way of all the backslapping about to ensue.

"It's Your Legacy" folks...

Wtf? Go back to hiding in the closet and tuck your crank in. I was referring to the original poster of this thread making a joke and was using a picture of the current worlds bravest tranny to take the place of my words.

image.jpg

Reactions: crazywatson

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Silence from pretty much everyone but you as to what actually happened out there (to date) which has pretty much been my point from the beginning. If Geiser Brothers built a Maverick (not necessarily sponsored by the manufacturer) and put Jeremy McGrath on top of the podium with it then, yeah, I guess it would be Baja 2015 all over again and not necessarily a coincidence.

Without sounding like a lick arse...I wouldn't be interested in desert racing half as much if I didn't have the opportunity to hear how the race actually played out from you. There are more people than you might think out here hanging on every word and we all honestly appreciate that fact given no other source for who knows how long afterwards or ever.
Given the fact that Jimco cant change the suspension pick up points and they ran Lonestar racing suspension components you might not be giving Wayne the credit he deserves for this win. From what I can tell they didn't even make any shock geometry changes to the car. I would say Wayne's experience racing Baja on a quad was a huge help in a well deserved victory. If Jimco did all the prep and pit support then kudos to them. This isn't meant to be a knock on Jimco just props to Wayne!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Great writeup as always Johnny. Kinda curious if the hole in your tranny occurred where the clearance between the inner cv joint and the tranny casting becomes ridiculously tight, and the rotation of the cv joint appears conducive to sucking a rock in between it and the casting of the trans. I wanted to install some sort of rigid foam in that area on Marc's car, but never got around to it. When was your last DNF? I don't recall you having too many of them. Now, it's kind of dejavu going into the 1000 again this year with you trailing a CAN-AM team in the points. Except this time, the championship is at stake for UTV Inc. No pressure!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
http://www.bobmartinco.com/pdf/safety_tying_wire.pdf
This is what we used on our powered parachutes as we couldn't accept that type of failure either.

As of today...has there been one story written about Wayne Matlock (and what a story this guy is; especially in his first year racing UTVs not to mention his success on atvs) or how any sudden introduction of the very best offroad chassis builder(s) in the business might affect the sport's future?

When this guy wins (as with his father) he has a tradition of dominating. There are a lot of us out here who came from atvs and would like to see him do well just for that fact alone. It would be interesting to hear about how the #2 and #3 guys made it through (when so many always don't) as well.
No story, but I, amongst others sure saw it coming:
"It looks like the transformation of this class from mom and pop entry level teams to amatures need not apply is in full swing. i know mike will set a new mark that will redefine what these cars can be. I hate it for the teams who wont be able to keep up with the rising cost of competing in it. Its just the changing of the times, i guess. I dont know much about the polaris yet (as evidenced by us getting our asses handed to us yesterday), but my knowledge of the can am is there for the asking."
(quoted from a BAM post before the start of the 2015 season).
For teams to keep pace with these guys, it will take continuity, resourcefulness, and fresh thinking (not to mention a little luck).
The teams who have enjoyed being top dogs over the last few years better start sharpening their pencils! It's rule interpretation time. Knowledge of Baja sure comes in handy as well. Ought to be a heck of a wing ding at the 1000. I'd love to be there, but I HATE MEXICO! Ha hee!

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Reid our Transmission Filler Plug somehow can lose and running the car with not 1 drop of oil in it caused the holes .. not sure how it worked itself out as we over fill the tranny a little bit so we figured we would have seen a few drips during testing or our 70 ish mile pre ... if we had left it lose .. who knows ? shit happens after seeing finishing times and hearing of others problems im still kicking myself for not doing the tranny swap !!

my last DNF was the Mint 400 we where the lead car set to take the checkered and boom transmission took a dump up till this last race we had 5 Score Races all finishes and 4 of them on the box

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Reid our Transmission Filler Plug somehow can lose and running the car with not 1 drop of oil in it caused the holes .. not sure how it worked itself out as we over fill the tranny a little bit so we figured we would have seen a few drips during testing or our 70 ish mile pre ... if we had left it lose .. who knows ? shit happens after seeing finishing times and hearing of others problems im still kicking myself for not doing the tranny swap !!

my last DNF was the Mint 400 we where the lead car set to take the checkered and boom transmission took a dump up till this last race we had 5 Score Races all finishes and 4 of them on the box
Johnny, do you run a stock transmission or do you replace any of the bearings? I dont own a Polaris but have read that they have some Chinese bearings that fail.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul

I thought that after you replaced the trans at the mint, they let you finish the race and alloted you your finishing points. Why did you not swap out the tranny at Baja? I saw your crew doing it at the mint, in about 90 mins or so.
What I do with fasteners that aren't good candidates for loctite (i.e. drain plugs) is apply monkey snot, better known as 3m weatherstrip adhesive, to the bolt head and adjacent material into which it threads. It is sufficiently strong enough to hold the two surfaces to one another, yet allows for disassembly at a later time. It also adheres to dirty surfaces far better than rtv silicone.

Reactions: Johnny

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
2014 Rookie Season
1st Race SS 300 we finished 7th
3 Broken Belts and 3 Flat Tires

2nd Race Baja 500 we Finished 4th
No Fuel at Race Mile 160 Had to go to the full serve gas station in town to Fill up, 1 Flat Tire, and 1 broken front hub and a-arm uniball had to be replaced during race

3rd Race Vegas To Reno we Finished 5th
1 axle swap due to tore cv boot, 1 Broken Axle, 2 Flat Tires

4th Race Rigid Desert Challenge we Finished 2nd
No Problems

5th Race Bluewater Desert Challenge DNF
Hit a large wash and put the car on its side but back in the race fast and then lost a wheel bearing in the infield and we where out of the race

6th Race Baja 1000 we Finished 1st ..... woohooo yep 1st
1 Broken Belt, 3 Broken Heim Joints

7th Race Henderson DNF
Hit a Big ass rock = 1 Flat Tire then Broke a Axle and it took out or brake line ...

UTVinc Built 2015 Polaris RZR XP1000
Polaris Oils Lubes and Belts
Method Race Wheels
Lone Star Suspension
FOX IBP Shocks
Rigid Industries Lights
ITP Baja R Spec Tires

2015 Chase Trucks
Ford
2015 Ford F350 4x4 with Harbor Utility Bed
2014 Ford F350 4x4 with Harbor Utility Bed
2013 Ford Raptor 4x4
XTC Motorsports Lifts, Running Boards
General Tires
Rigid Industries Lighting
Wraps By Wolf Designs

Custom Paint by CR Designs

Race # 8 Parker 250 1st Place

Race # 9 San Felipe Baja 250 2nd Place

Race # 10 UTV World Championship 4th Place

Race # 11 Mint 400 18th Place lol Lead Most of the Race Broken Transmission 8 Miles From Finish Line 18th Place Finish

Race # 12 Baja Sur 500 3rd Place Co Driver Branden Sims

Race #13 Best in The Desert Silver State 300 Started 31st Finished 2 Place

Race # Baja 500 leading race lost transmission filler plug toasted transmission DNF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000