All UTV's suspension seat or not?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
what to do? i am looking into new seats and torn with the normal suspension seat and the aluminum hard seats with a little padding like the Kirkey 20* layback.

i ahve been told the monster truck guys and some baja racing trucks have been switching over to the Kirkey style due to the better fit and they keep you in your seat and let the vehicles suspension work like it is supposed to.

i have the Simpson D-Cel harness to keep my neck from extending in crashes when i race but i will spend more time in the dunes without a helmet and neck restraint than raing so i dont want to be super uncomfortable while dunning.

decisions decisions. and no i do not have unlimited funds to get both.

badinfluencerace

The Future Of SXS Racing is being Built in my Driv
Jan 30, 2009
yuma
i think the suspension seats are far better for comfort , i agree the kirkey seats hold you in place better but the lack of padding might jar your back

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
Had a conversation with a guy that drove for pfluger about this. He said they had blown through the suspension seat and had an impact of tailbone to metal below the seat breaking someones back. He told me they ran solid seats with thin padding now to distribute the load all around your ass and legs more evenly. That said trophy trucks go lots faster than we do and have 3 to 4 times the wheel travel to soak the big stuff up.

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
Xmf can certainly build a frame for you and have Bs sand finish it off.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
i can see the thought behind a stiffer seat with no room to move. even with my renegade seats i have to tighten the harness after a good run. i would like more side to side support also. and most suspension seats do not have any shoulder or rib boulsters to keep you in place.

i have been looking at the Twisted Stitch TS-1 but its twice the price of a Kirkey. i am not looking to be cheap for safety by no means just want what will keep me from hurting my back any more than it is.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I prefer the Sparco seat in our Race teryx over the suspension seat in the Flyin banana. plus with a non suspension seat, the belts stay where you put them. belts may be tight in a suspension seat until you compress the seat, then they are loose due to you moving down away from the belts.

just Info for ya.

I like the looks of the Kirkey seats also, and they are a good price IMO.

tyler

Parkse5 - UTVUnderground Approved
May 27, 2009
mission viejo
Had a conversation with a guy that drove for pfluger about this. He said they had blown through the suspension seat and had an impact of tailbone to metal below the seat breaking someones back. He told me they ran solid seats with thin padding now to distribute the load all around your ass and legs more evenly. That said trophy trucks go lots faster than we do and have 3 to 4 times the wheel travel to soak the big stuff up.
I agree. As soon as I have the $ I'll be getting a Full Containment Seat.

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
we used to use suspension seats, but after talking with a good amount of pro teams and drivers we switched to tub style seats, we run the kirkeys in our yellow rhino and our prolite now. i also ran a kirkey in my stock teryx at the monster jams. ive bottomed that really really hard with stock suspension and it didnt feel harsh at all. it definately distributes the load. tommy from sb fab runs a kirkey as well. not sure what the name is but our prolite will be running the seat the monster truck guys use soon.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
digging this thread up from old.

i eventually bought Kirkey seats for my RZR1 build and loved the containment and feel. It did take a little to get used to pouring my arse in the seat, but once i set the belts they did not need tightening. I loved the side support and glove like fit.

Fast forward 3 years and the RZR1 was sold and now i am researching seats for my Maverick.

I have decided not to race the Maverick mostly due to it being too new and no one knows what class or if there will be a class in the AZ regional shortcourse.

Anyways i am building this car for agressive play. I am trying to decide on seats again. My biggest complaint about the Kirkey seats is what a PITA is is to get my fat asre in them.

I sat in a few seats at UTV Inc last week and decided if i was going to go with a suspension seat it would be the Twisted stitch vortex. But dammit they are not cheap.

anything out there that is semi containment that will fit a size 38 waist and still fit inside a UTV without making wide doors?

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
digging this thread up from old.

i eventually bought Kirkey seats for my RZR1 build and loved the containment and feel. It did take a little to get used to pouring my arse in the seat, but once i set the belts they did not need tightening. I loved the side support and glove like fit.

Fast forward 3 years and the RZR1 was sold and now i am researching seats for my Maverick.

I have decided not to race the Maverick mostly due to it being too new and no one knows what class or if there will be a class in the AZ regional shortcourse.

Anyways i am building this car for agressive play. I am trying to decide on seats again. My biggest complaint about the Kirkey seats is what a PITA is is to get my fat asre in them.

I sat in a few seats at UTV Inc last week and decided if i was going to go with a suspension seat it would be the Twisted stitch vortex. But dammit they are not cheap.

anything out there that is semi containment that will fit a size 38 waist and still fit inside a UTV without making wide doors?
We are doing MOMO Supercup seats in a couple cars right now. I bought a pair for my XP too. Let me know if I can help with anything.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
i have the same issue. look at the jet trim seats they have pretty tall sides and fit snug. i liked the TS seats i had in my teryx but would definitly go for the wider option. the Ts1 will be the next seats i get.

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I have the TS Vortex Seats in my RZR from UTVINC and I will defiantly be throwing down that money again in my next UTV.
I have the same however not good for racing in my opinion. also depending on the car and seat bases also......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000