Stripped oil plug yep another one lol

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
This is on a 2012 rzr 900 4 seater. The title says it all. I was able to finally remove the bolt but I think the threads in the oil pan are damaged. Has anyone used the oversize rubber ones they sell at the automotive store. It looks like they are the same as a plumbers plug. Just trying to find out what the best and safest fix will be. Thank you

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
Maybe a bigger plug and re-threading the hole ;-)

I think they have a kit for this ?

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
Auto Zone may have the tool for this and you can use it for free,
take your old plug and go talk to them ;-)

Plumber

Ridin' Dirty
Jun 26, 2012
Apple Valley
I did this on the transmission plug and transfer case plug on my old 800. Get a tap, drill bit and appropriate plug to fit. Just go the next size up. The oil in the pan will help lube your tap, go in and out every thread, this should take you about an hr and a half to make your threads. Use lots of q tips to pull out the shavings every time you pull the tap out. Use teflon tape on your new plug, for good measure.
I do not recommend using a heli coil, my experience with them is that if you dont fit it just right, the coil will stretch out.
You can use a rubber grommet stop but if anyrhing catches the locking clip, the plug could come out while your riding and lose oil and your engine.
Best bet. Tap it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Thanks Cory I actually just bought a new oil pan and I am going to fix the old one and keep it as a spare so this will diffently help thanks

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Buy one of those cheap torque wrenches from Harbor freight so you don't strip it again.....think they are like $10 on sale.
It was very strange but it never really tightened but I am going to defiantly take your advice and get a torque wrench from harbor freight

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000