Setting the facts straight on UHMW Protection

Factory UTV

FUTV - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Sacramento Ca
www.factoryutv.net
Factory UTV introduced UHMW to the UTV segment when the first Polaris RZR was introduced several years ago. Recently we've seen several instances of misinformation so we'd like to set the record straight.

FIBER SKINZ for the Polaris Razor/ Razor S/ Razor XP/ Teryx @ Benchmark Performance
Fiber Skinz for the XP and the RZR weight in at just under 20 lbs where UHMW will weigh up to 60 lbs
Our 3/8 in RZR skid plates weigh 24 lbs, not 60. Meanwhile, that 3/8 in thickness allows us to countersink the mounting hardware below the surface of the skid plate so it's not exposed while sliding over rocks like the hardware on the fiberskinz is. One of UHMW's best qualities is it's ability to absorb and dissipate blows while it outwears carbon steel 10 to 1. A super slick material that slides easily over rocks and other obstacles, UHMW has become the overwhelming choice for UTV Protection.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
I have beat the hell out of my FUTV 1/2" skid for 4,000 nasty rock crawling miles and it's still in awesome shape:D

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
Factory UTV introduced UHMW to the UTV segment when the first Polaris RZR was introduced several years ago. Recently we've seen several instances of misinformation so we'd like to set the record straight.

Our 3/8 in RZR skid plates weigh 24 lbs, not 60. Meanwhile, that 3/8 in thickness allows us to countersink the mounting hardware below the surface of the skid plate so it's not exposed while sliding over rocks like the hardware on the fiberskinz is. One of UHMW's best qualities is it's ability to absorb and dissipate blows while it outwears carbon steel 10 to 1. A super slick material that slides easily over rocks and other obstacles, UHMW has become the overwhelming choice for UTV Protection.
3/8 thick how deep are the heads on your countersinks 1/2"? you could drop that thickness in half, use same heads full depth countersinks knife edged and be fine. UHMW plastic won't crack at the knife like metal. That put your weight @ 12 LBS. Good move to sink the head too thats where the crack will occur at the top of the head as it looses metal most likely steel fastener material from abrasion, not at the UHMW knife edge.

This industry over designs at the expense of weight. :(

Might have to just make my own skids, probably 1/4 and full depth CS.

Last edited:

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Other than the weight....We like ours on our RZR XP4. It doesnt even have a mark on it from the SS300 and I know they drug over stuff.

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
Other than the weight....We like ours on our RZR XP4. It doesnt even have a mark on it from the SS300 and I know they drug over stuff.
I bet if FUTV were to collect some field data like this where the surface is hardly wearing like I'd expect out of this material and consider what I said about knife edging above they will see they can drop alot of weight out. And as far as FS FUTV is spot on they are FOS, I want to see these mechanical properties of this super composite material they have not even the most advance commercial aircraft are capable of like the Boeing Dreamliner and Air Bus A380....I'd like to see its density, abrasion, lubrication, and tensile numbers and we shall compare it to UHMW. :D

No way does "-glass and thermoplastics like what your dash board on your car is made of beat out UHMW as proven by you and many others. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to help get some weight out of this industry don't take me wrong. :cool:

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I bet if FUTV were to collect some field data like this where the surface is hardly wearing like I'd expect out of this material and consider what I said about knife edging above they will see they can drop alot of weight out. And as far as FS FUTV is spot on they are FOS, I want to see these mechanical properties of this super composite material they have not even the most advance commercial aircraft are capable of like the Boeing Dreamliner and Air Bus A380....I'd like to see its density, abrasion, lubrication, and tensile numbers and we shall compare it to UHMW. :D

No way does "-glass and thermoplastics like what your dash board on your car is made of beat out UHMW as proven by you and many others. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to help get some weight out of this industry don't take me wrong. :cool:
I didnt take it wrong, How ever when I felt the skid...My exact words wer OMG we cant use these, all the work we did to lighten this car and were going to add all thie weight back on:eek:

Bagman

Jan 4, 2011
Norco, CA
At least the extra weight is in a good place, bottom of the car.

I made my own out of 3/8" back when the forums were a buzz about UHMW.

Worth the weight IMHO.

woodysfj40

perpetual noobie
Sep 21, 2010
Wisconsin
www.rockcrawler.com
This industry over designs at the expense of weight. :(

Might have to just make my own skids, probably 1/4 and full depth CS.
Holz makes their skids 1/4" thick. I had them installed. Lasted one year before they rippled, and 2 years before tearing. They've apparently changed their design to slotted holes to help alleviate the ripple issue, but only thicker skids will prevent tearing.

I've now got 1/2" on both my RZR and my Teryx4. They don't ripple, and if you wheel hard in the rocks, the added protection is necessary. The center crossmember on my RZR is U-shaped after 2 years of abuse...thicker skids likely would have helped prevent that.

The 1/2" skids on my RZR combined with 3/8" UHMW rocker skids and the Holz pre-runner bumper and alum plate is a great combo :)

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
They make different grades of UHMW and each has different mechanical properties. You can change the properties just as easy as heat treating metal. If you went down to 1/4 sounds like you would need to look for a higher stiffness coefficient. Marine board is cheaper and has good properties. High density polyethylene is another plastic to consider. You can look at the coefficient for different sizes thickness and grades. Bagman is correct the weight is low no biggie. Since it is close to the tire patches and the nice thing about this particular weight is it's wide spread so there will be a more even distribution to the CG and shocks. What hurts more is when you put heavy weight on control arms, or gas tanks and radiators above the CG and to the rear when you already have a rear CG issue.

These thermoplastic are known for their thermo properties not mechanical, I'd really like to see how e-glass and it surpass UHMW. :rolleyes:

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
1/2" thick?wow that seems excessive!hey ..to each his own!but If wieght is a issue ,and you want strenght then fiberskins has that covered!

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
1/2" thick?wow that seems excessive!hey ..to each his own!but If wieght is a issue ,and you want strenght then fiberskins has that covered!
If this were true FS would state their mechanical properties such as density, coefficient of friction, abrasion, lubricating comp, tensile and compression, strengths, on their website so that customers can compare to well known proven UHMW. Also the coupon testing to get the properties should be listed as a third party company with a phone number and business address. That eliminates hersay. Properties should not be proprietary just composition. I mean anyone can make and try to sell claims, but where is the proof such as "superior mechanical properties" they market?

I can tell you right now that the composite of e-glass and thermoplastics combined FS claims do not come close to UHMW is abrasion, lube, compression to name a few.

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
bla bla bla!Ive seen both and if you think your basic plastic compares to a woven fiber thats layered your selling to the wrong crowd!Just because they dont give some bs rateing on there products does not make them less strong ,or less reliable!DONT CALL SOMEONE OUT JUST BECAUSE YOUR PRODUCT HAS SOMEBULLSHIT RATING THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT,just to get more sales.

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
If they gave you that tensil strenght .or any other factory bs,you would just come up with more bs properties that conflics with they're claims,or start your own woven product that actuallly compares to fiberskins!You started this thread to get sales not to promote utv's and the new products its produced!bla bla bla the proof is in the pudding!And the pudding wants to be protected by fiberskins!

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
Well lol ones things clear you got no idea what you're talking about so you post a bunch a BS. I'll stop posting, I don't work for either company sounds like you work for FS and I'm not here to battle with either or someone that can not post data just hersay. I have been designing stuff like this for 30 years and I'm here to tell you that w/o these "BS Properties" you refer to there would be no UTV, auto, aircraft, industry as we know it today. Also, if the "mecanical properties are BS" why does FS market them(see below) saying the UHMW is obsolete to their composite? You're correct what a bunch of BS!!

Woven impregnated e-glass in thermoplastics does not have the self-lubricating, abrasion, property UHMW does that it needs for skids and there is only one way FS can disprove that with data, not post and marketing BS. Just go look at the properties of e-glass and thermo plastics as I have and you will see. The woven composite would maybe work good for arm protection and there is no way it's weight or density is far less than UHMW.

As a neutral party that does know what I'm talking about stick w/ UHMW, at least until FS puts their properties and test results up they claim and market or has more history not at all the expense of the consumer which is I am sure is what they are hoping to do here.

FIBER SKINZ for the Polaris Razor/ Razor S/ Razor XP/ Teryx @ Benchmark Performance

Get used to that name, Fiber-Skinz!
No longer will aluminum or UHMW be the best choice for protective panels. Fiber-Skins are a proprietary eco friendly thermoplastic material which comprises commingled e-glass and thermoplastic filaments, designed for high mechanical properties, such as stiffness/weight ratio and impact properties. The commingling technology also allows a high glass content of up to 80% to be achieved, thereby providing an impact resistant, load dissipating skin that offers excellent strength and rigidity.

Fiber Skinz for the XP and the RZR weight in at just under 20 lbs where UHMW will weigh up to 60 lbs

RZR and RZR S covers stock area and the egg crate area beneath the feet $429.00

XP Skinz

RZR XP Coverers Stock skid plate area + rear diff area $349.00

Currently the XP and the RZR Skinz come with CV guards, while supplys last
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skinz for the Teryx for a complete Front/rear and center section weight under 25 lbs

Mid section

Front and rear section

Teryx Covers stock area + front and rear diff section + more coverage on the mid section area. $389.00 for mid section and $120.00 for the front and rear diff section

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
[ sounds like you work for FS
nope wrong AGAIN!Although... I am friends with them.They arent going to put that proprietary info up so someone else can produce the same thing under a different name!I've posted my two cent about this now I'm done with this thread!

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
Lol! Dude you really crack me up, e-glass in thermoplastic lets see last I can remember I used it on a design back in the mid-80's surrounding a hot turbine engine. Hate to break the news to you nothing "proprietary" just goggle search it look how far it goes back, FS stole it at best but it's WAY outdated. Try carbon fiber strands CNC fused with high temp and pressure like a Boeing Dreamliner the entire skin is a proprietary plastic resin or the Air Bus A-380. That my freinds will be the next UTV chassis once cost comes down no more skids, no more aftermerket protection, no more corrosion, very light and VERY strong! Just laying up woven e-glass and mixing it with plastic @ room temp cures is not that strong and "light". FS did not just make some new revelation that shocked the UTV industry or world, VERY entertaining tho. :D

Papabear's got my vote. You can withstand his trail riding I'll buy it :)

Factory UTV

FUTV - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Sacramento Ca
www.factoryutv.net
Holz makes their skids 1/4" thick. I had them installed. Lasted one year before they rippled, and 2 years before tearing.
We've had very good luck and very few complaints for many years now with the 3/8 skids. The weight is where you want it if you have to add weight. 1/2 inch has been bulletproof and that's what we run on our Wildcat, Commander and XP all which get subjected to higher speed rock hits out in the desert. What you won't read in the stats is UHMW's ability to absorb and deaden the hits, FS is too thin to share that quality.

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
What you won't read in the stats is UHMW's ability to absorb and deaden the hits, FS is too thin to share that quality.
The property you are referring to is stiffness, or Modulus of Elasticity (MOE), or the amount a material will flex, absorb, under applied load and not return. The point of no return is called Yield Strength.

MOE for UHMW around 110KSI
MOE for Thermoplastic varies from 55KSI – 330 KSi depending on grade.

Seems like we got to get the facts straight on both material designs, I’ll try and help to develop this industry.

Do not ever think properties do not exist especially for materials this old, we would not put people on aircraft or spacecraft or risk lives w/o a complete understanding of them. These properties are just guidelines to help design to, geometry (thickness, etc) will further determine their ability to handle the application you put them in. There are many grades and ways to chance properties, starting with properties that fit the application is key to not incur high cost.

UHMWPE with a custom additive lubricate, additive allows for a low coefficient of friction thermoplastic do not have, hence the need for high MOE is reduced and thinner materials can be used. Both plastics have densities around .034 and similar weight.

If you add e-glass to thermoplastic as FS has, woven continuous fibers will produce higher tensile strength, stiffness(MOA), and weight that will exceed UHMW making the FS product better for structural applications which skids are not or should not be. The structural strength should come from the chassis, if you want it to be stronger and less of “skid” FS is better more than likely.

I’d suggest to any company be careful what you market and post on public forums, do some home work or consult a Materials and Process Engineer first.

Both companies keep up the good work and good luck! :)

Last edited:

atvobsession

Feb 11, 2013
Auburn, CA
www.atvobsession.com
I'd be curious to see if ANYONE ran FS at King Of The Hammers...I know many rigs, ran Factory UTV UHMW skids....the 2nd place overall (jon) and myself in 4th...both had them.

There's no way FS would survive KOH, especially with the mounting hardware exposed. The Hammers would just rip that off....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000