Yamaha Rear Brake Conversion Kit

Maverick

May 25, 2010
Is there a kit out there to convert the 06 & 07 Rhino to four wheel disc brakes. The rear brake on the original is annoying and inconvenient to do maintenance on. Just wondering if someone has already done this and/or if a kit has been packaged by someone. Thanx. Mav

MRPAT920

I'm drunk, always - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 25, 2009
riverside so-cal
Is there a kit out there to convert the 06 & 07 Rhino to four wheel disc brakes. The rear brake on the original is annoying and inconvenient to do maintenance on. Just wondering if someone has already done this and/or if a kit has been packaged by someone. Thanx. Mav

FST motorsports has a kit and i know IRP is working on a kit

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
for the cost, I think the EBC big brake kit will add almost as much braking power, and is alot cheaper. It just replaces the driveline brake with a larger rotor, and moves the caliper as needed. I would also swap in some better EBC pads too.

If your only doing the swap to make it easier to maintain, I think its going to be cost prohibitive to do the 08+ swap.

Hobie164

Hobie164
Aug 25, 2009
Anaheim Hills, Ca
I did my own conversion using the small two piston CNC calipers, I just had to make my own bracket to hang them off the stock upright. Bought new style rear hubs and used new rotors. Works way better and doesnt make the grinding noise. I dont get brake fade either

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Only down fall to this setup is running desert and getting rocks in between the wheel and caliper.Have seen several broken wheels due to this.

Maverick

May 25, 2010
I get that the stock rear brake is less likely to have a problem with getting something broke by rocks sticking between the wheel and the brake rotor however this past weekend a friend and I were riding a rough trail and both of his rear axles broke. He was able to get back home on the front wheel drive with me pulling him up steep grades however when he tried to go down steep grades he only had front brakes. This became very dangerous for him several times. If he had four wheel disc brakes even with broken axles he would still have had safe braking. I contacted FST about a kit and was told that it would have to be figured out based on the last six numbers of my VIN which I supplied but have not heard back from them with a price.

Odyknuck

May 2, 2011
Are you guys using the same master cylinder when converting over to 4 wheel disk brakes? The standard unit is 11/16" are the master cylinders on the 08s with 4 wheel brakes larger, if so what size? With the additional volume you would need a larger master to keep the pedal firm.

sylviastonew

Jan 19, 2014
Its been carried out a couple times-i even loaned a few parts from my auto to a fellow that completed all the test fitting on his 660.They simply purchase all the 2008 700 setup. exorbitant

Maverick

May 25, 2010
I gave up on the idea due to the cost. I replaced the rear brake with an oversized rotor and just live with the noise. I would prefer 4 wheel disc brakes but I've yet to have a problem. My buddy, I learned later, had modified his Rhino so the broken axles were not stock from Yamaha. I don't think that I am likely to have such an issue as mine is stock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000