Racers Questionaire from V2R

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
Good afternoon everyone.

As most of you know, I prepared a short questionnaire which we presented to the UTV class racers after the drivers meeting at Vegas To Reno. I want to thank Cory and Casey for allowing me to do this. I want to repeat what I said at the meeting. This was not a vote! it was merely an attempt to gather some information that hopefully can be used to help guide some the future decisions that are facing the class. I purposely did not immediately post all of the results on the forum but instead I compiled these results and then I scheduled a meeting in person with Cory last Friday. I am not going to list all the specific analytics of the survey but I will touch on some of the more critical issues. Sorry if this is a long read but like I have said in the past, this is not just black & white.

I collected 36 questionnaires and I want to thank those who participated for your input.

The first several questions pertained to class potential growth and continued participation. The results show that the UTV class still has great growth potential and that it is not a stepping stone class. The racers are racing UTV's because this is where they want to be. 22 racers expressed intent to build a new car in the next year.

The majority of respondents agree with the current classes that we have, however there is a wide split as to what should be in these classes.

I think that one of the biggest controversial issues currently, is the debate over where to place the new turbocharged models. An overwhelming majority of the teams said that the turbo cars should be in either the current unlimited class or in their own class. I talked with Cory for quite some time on this issue and several ideas were discussed. BITD is not willing to add additional classes for the UTV's so hopefully we can work to create some redefinition of the classes we have. Knowing that the majority of the racers feel that there should be a division between forced induction and naturally aspirated cars I am hoping something can be resolved here.

There were several questions on the survey regarding rule clarity and access. For the most part the racers
agree that the rules are easy to find and to understand. Again we discussed a couple ideas to improve a few things and I think these things will be improved upon.

When asked if racers understood the UTVRA and is purpose the results were very split but leaned to the NO side. We agreed that this is not a good thing and talked about how to improve the perception of the UTVRA and its goals and mission.

The racers voiced a nearly unanimous desire to be represented by a panel or a board of members. I don't think this surprises anyone. Unfortunately Cory is not willing to structure the UTVRA as a true members organization with a president, a board, ect. However some compromise may be able to be had in the form of a council of consultants. I am hoping to further this conversation.

There were several other issues on the survey such as future tire size limits, starting grid, draw order ect.
all of these things are being looked at and it appears that the class majority follows the ideas that are being discussed.

All in all our meeting went very well and while Cory does take a great deal of criticism from some, I believe that he is every bit a concerned with the growth of the UTV class as anyone that has a stake in it. Hopefully this exercise will help shape the class and influence future decisions in a positive way.

Again, thank you to those who provided their input.

BS JX

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Bill, have you or will you be publicly posting the content and results of your survey? I would think that those who participated in the survey are eager to know the results, or "class consensus". I have been reading about your (semi) public survey, and like many others, am anxious to know the content of it, along with the opinions of those affected by the influence it may have. Thanks.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Thanks Bill for taking the time to do this and then meet with Cory. Kudos to Cory for hearing it all out.

So whats the next step in implementing new practices based on the results?

My next question will be, will this council be able to be formed to help influence the decisions needing to be made for next season or is Cory already imposing his will on the class? I fear that as he tells people the rules individually such as engine swaps and tire sizes that should the "council" not agree that it will cause more friction for those working within what they are being told currently.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Thanks Bill for taking the time to do this and then meet with Cory. Kudos to Cory for hearing it all out.

So whats the next step in implementing new practices based on the results?

My next question will be, will this council be able to be formed to help influence the decisions needing to be made for next season or is Cory already imposing his will on the class? I fear that as he tells people the rules individually such as engine swaps and tire sizes that should the "council" not agree that it will cause more friction for those working within what they are being told currently.
Good news is the survey is going to be considered. The bad news is Cory is against any representative form of decision making and will continue to enforce his will as he sees fit. I might be ok with it if I heard a logical explanation that makes sense....otherwise I'm surprised that the opinion of the class is so flippantly dismissed.

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
Bill,
Glad to hear things are at least moving forward. I really think that while Cory does want the best for the class that having a panel or board with real power is the most important issue we have. Nobody wants to give up "their baby" but its the only way to get a true gauge of the needs of the class. Thanks for spearheading this start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000