Yamaha R1 Rhino Test Drive

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
So I took the Rhino out for its first test after the engine swap. I had some issues with the starter relay sticking, but I rigged something up and temporarily took care of that problem. The engine temp seemed to be a bit high, as high as 240 degrees! But I realized that I was averaging real high RPM's since I was keeping the tranny in low gears. So, I made it a point to shift up and that kind of controlled the temp, averaging 215 degrees. The Cognito suspension worked great, eating up tall woops at 65 mph with ease. The trip went very well until I blew one of my ITP Holeshot tires, again! Gonna start looking for some Bighorns or something. Here is a short video of what I experienced today.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXMDsjwajMs&feature=player_embedded"]‪Gorman R1 Rhino‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

kennyo15

Paramount Motorsports / Black Rhino - UTVUndergrou
Aug 19, 2009
Alpine, CA
Congratulations, looks like you are having fun with it. We have the Weller R1 conversion in our Rhino that we race in the Lucas series and they haul A$$. If you are interested in some tires we run the DWT Moapa and are having great luck with them.. We run the 26x9x12 in the front and 26x11x12 in the rear. We put new ones on after every race weekend and sell the take offs if you are interested. They only have about an hour on them and look almost new.

Kenny

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
my hayabusa arctic cat runs at 200 when dune riding... 240 seems real high. Do you have an oil cooler too?
Yeah, I figured that would be high. I think I know why though. I added an additional thermostat w/ housing in line with the coolant hoses. Since the ID of the housing is substantially smaller than the 1" hose I believe it to be too restrictive. However, the external temp gauge read about 195 degrees while the R1 cluster read 220 degrees. So, I'll try removing it and see what happens.

Kennyo15, pm sent.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Congrats on getting in your first test drive!! Very cool!!

If you continue having temp issues, call Jason at the shop - maybe he can help you figure it out. We have ZERO temp issues, and even at full on race speed in the middle of summer, my car doesn't go above 210. My fan is programmed to kick on at 200 and that keeps things nice and cool......it's also one helluva powerful fan! lol!

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
Thanks Corry. I'll call Jason if I can't figure it out. I know you're using a Honda radiator, but what fan are you using with it?

joshuabuilt

Jan 30, 2011
san diego
I'm using a black rhino thermo unit and it goes in line like urs but sleeves onto the tube so there is noblocking of flow.. I think I paid 80 bucks or so I cant remember its been awhile.. good luck and looks real good

trunknuts

Jul 11, 2010
I'm using a black rhino thermo unit and it goes in line like urs but sleeves onto the tube so there is noblocking of flow.. I think I paid 80 bucks or so I cant remember its been awhile.. good luck and looks real good
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm using. I had one custom made that would give me as close to a 1" ID as possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000