All UTV's Polaris Files Complaint for Patent Infringement Against Arctic Cat

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
it sad there going to go after them for that. the money they are going to spend in court they could put into R&D and make a better 50" trail rig if thats truly why they are filling on. don't remember harley suing all the polaris or all the other v-twin copies.

Candie

Oct 16, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Back in the 3 wheeler days Honda had a patent on equal weight on each wheel. No one else could build a competitive product.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
it sad there going to go after them for that. the money they are going to spend in court they could put into R&D and make a better 50" trail rig if thats truly why they are filling on. don't remember harley suing all the polaris or all the other v-twin copies.
Ummm HD didn't invent the V-twin. Indian (which is owned by Polaris) had a v-twin three years before HD and yet Indian didn't invent the v-twin either. HD thus doesn't have any intellectual property to protect in your example. Polaris does have I.P. to protect, and if you don't actively work to protect your trademarks, patents and copyrights...effectively you lose them. Polaris 'ownes' this patent, which was filed something like seven years ago and was granted just this month due to a the P.T.O. being so far behind. So the question is, if someone takes or uses something that you own it is called what? :)

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Ummm HD didn't invent the V-twin. Indian (which is owned by Polaris) had a v-twin three years before HD and yet Indian didn't invent the v-twin either. HD thus doesn't have any intellectual property to protect in your example. Polaris does have I.P. to protect, and if you don't actively work to protect your trademarks, patents and copyrights...effectively you lose them. Polaris 'ownes' this patent, which was filed something like seven years ago and was granted just this month due to a the P.T.O. being so far behind. So the question is, if someone takes or uses something that you own it is called what? :)
Polaris didnt buy the rights to indian till the last few years and indian hasnt used their own engine since they first went under in the 40's or 50's. The last run used s&s engine which are harley based aftermarket engines. I could understand suing if there were a more specific patent but its like Ferrari suing lamborguino or any other mid engine car builder for that matter. Patent are to protect specific designs, part, or product not a generitc description.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Polaris didnt buy the rights to indian till the last few years and indian hasnt used their own engine since they first went under in the 40's or 50's. The last run used s&s engine which are harley based aftermarket engines. I could understand suing if there were a more specific patent but its like Ferrari suing lamborguino or any other mid engine car builder for that matter. Patent are to protect specific designs, part, or product not a generitc description.
My point was that HD doesn't have any rights to exclusivity to the V-twin engine as you alluded to. If you have an issue with the patent you should be upset with the US Patent and Trademark office as they saw the validity to submission and granted the patent accordingly. If you take the time to actually read the filing it is very specific regarding what exactly is being protected.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
I have read it mulitlple times and looked through all the pics . It is still pretty generic as for a patent. There are some similarities but alot more difference as for what the patent covers. I know im not polaris I don't know what the exact details are just my 2 pesos after reading all of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000