Official UTVUnderground Baja 1000 Update Thread

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
Well it's that time of year again and we are down in Ensenada for the 1000! Cars are going by outside for contingency and everything is coming to life!

Polaris threw a huge party at the Mission Santa Isabel Hotel last night, Metalachi killed it!

Just getting the thread started here, will share many more updates throughout the day and as the race progresses!

Greenee

Nov 16, 2011
Tomorrow Morning at 6 am the bikes leave. Trucks start leaving at 12:30pm.

I would guess the UTV's should start leaving the line around 3pm. :D

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Tomorrow Morning at 6 am the bikes leave. Trucks start leaving at 12:30pm.

I would guess the UTV's should start leaving the line around 3pm. :D
If the UTV's get off the line around 3pm, they should have about 2 hours of usable light. Check Point 1 is at MM 92, so they will already be running in full dark by the time they get to the first check point. The fast guys with no issues "might" make Check 5 MM 550 by sunrise. I have not got a good read on what might be the UTV average speed on this course. I think the top section will be faster then the lower half.

Hearing the silt is getting really, really bad on the lower half, and the new section at MM 1190 is already falling apart. It was said as of yesterday the "big tire" classes are getting threw OK, but by Friday that will not be the case. Having 4 wheel drive is going to be a huge help, but if your dragging the belly and high centering, then your just screwed!

My gut and past experience tells me this race might be decided on "Time Limits" and Check Point Closing Times for many UTV teams.

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
Unreal weather out here today! Cool breeze and bright sunshine making contingency even better. The streets are packed with enthusiastic fans.

Got a chance to meet a couple of the guys from the Mayhem off-road team and check out their newly completed race car, love to see new builds out here.

Also checked in with the guys from high point and their bitchin 1000.

Terabbit racing in their new race RZR, lots of clean lines on this car, obviously the glazzkraft bodywork lending its signature flavor.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Terabbit racing in their new race RZR, lots of clean lines on this car, obviously the glazzkraft bodywork lending its signature flavor.

I'm thinking that is the original Glazzkraft car with its new owners, and not another new car.

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
I'm thinking that is the original Glazzkraft car with its new owners, and not another new car.

Yeah thanks for the clarification, didn't mean to imply it was an all new build, just new owners! I've been hearing the silt is gnarly too, definitely going to be a battle just to finish this one.

The jagged x guys are here (lots of em haha), will get some shots of their car when they come by later in the afternoon!

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013

Jagged X taking good care of the fans

So many cool vehicles out here it's hard to know where to look

Loving the spectacle!

Glad to see the Caselli foundation out here

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Here is an estimated UTV time map we created.. I wonder how close we will be to this??

How did you come up with these times? I ask because we are guesstimating the UTV's will leave the starting line close to 3pm. You show the UTV's coming though Check Point 5 (MM 550) at 1:15am. That is 10 hours after taking the green flag. That is a 55mph average! Your timing seems to show them averaging just about 50-55mph the whole way.

My guess was we see the first UTV's through check 5 around sun rise which is around 6am. Even at that your looking at a 39mph average. A single bottle neck, stuck in a silt bed or any mechanical issues in the dark and you can tack on several hours.

You cant compare this years Baja 500 to this years Baja 1000. Besides the fact the 1000 course uses very little of what was used in the 500. The biggest obstacle early on is that you are racing in the dark only a few hours in from starting the race. You will not see Check Point 1 in the daylight.

I'm going to guess the average speed for the winning UTV is in the low to mid 30's. I have been wrong before, but I think averaging anything over 40 is going to be really tough. Like I mentioned in a previous post. I think the Check Point time limits are going to a huge factor in this race. Lets hope at the drivers meeting they announce that they are extending the overall time limit and extending a few check point times.

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
1200 miles in 24 hours . WOW!!!!!!probably not gonna happen. but I sure hope it does. sure would help justify the golfcarts .im excited just sittin here at home. cant imagine what its like sittin there waiting to start.....

Nick

Un Banned - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 3, 2009
Mesa, AZ
We are shooting for the 30 hour mark... 24 hours is NUTS to do this race in a UTV

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Sorry, Joey posted the wrong file. Here is a better guess. 38 to 40mph average.

GOLF CART DORK.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Sorry, Joey posted the wrong file. Here is a better guess. 38 to 40mph average.
GOLF CART DORK.
Wrong file? What class was the time for on the map Joey posted? And why is Joey have times & files for other classes? Is he moonlighting for another site!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000