>>>> Official Thread for the PURE "200" -JUNE 27-29, 2014

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
A few words about the PURE “200†–

It looked like it was going to turn out to be a really fun, fast and challenging race. A bit fast for my liking but most everyone who pre-ran the course loved it, in spite of all those course markings missing the morning of the race. We re-marked most of the race course and by the time the race started at 6 p.m. everything seemed to be in order.

Unfortunately, another problem reared its ugly head late into the race, as at least one vehicle, possibly two, of what had to be local drunken losers ruined the event for all. As a result we had to “STOP†the race when incident upon incident on the course, involving sabotage like placing land minds, matrasses, rocks, lumber, etc. strewn on parts of the course were reported by racers. It told us that race was no longer safe to continue. So we pulled the plug with the leaders having completed 7 of the 9 laps for the event.

Three “official†vehicles, law enforcement and two groups of racer’s friends on UTVs roamed the area where there were sightings of a "blue station wagon with three headlights" that got into the course late into the evening and created havoc.
Unfortunately, we were NOT able to find them, which in the afterthought; it might have been a blessing in disguise. Personally speaking, I was already thinking of what I would do if I found that “blue station wagon†with my course-marking Jeep. I can guarantee you that the “blue†station wagon would not be moving, even if it meant sacrificing my trusty old Cherokee. Others, who were out there looking for these clowns, would have probably done worst damage.

Regardless, Lois and I and our staff wish to sincerely apologize for cutting the event short. But in the interest of safety, we had to do it. I can’t say that it won’t happen again, as sometimes things of this nature happen in racing, whether in Nevada, Arizona, California or in Baja. There are plenty of stories to back that up. But here in California City, it is especially painful because our city takes pride in welcoming OHVers with open arms. These Jokers are the anomaly to an otherwise great community.
Now on to the next event: The PURE “225†– August 8-9, 2014. A night race on a totally different course, in an area that we have not used is quite a while. We are also going to start encouraging everyone to use GPS in your car and work with your navigator more and more. In the future many promoters are going to relay more and more on GPS than just course marking for obvious reasons.
The results below are unofficial until July 10, at which time they are locked-in, points are awarded and we move on to the next event.
Thank you everyone for participating. Have a great Fourth of July celebration and we will see you early in August.

Lou & Lois Peralta
Sorry to hear about these idiots messing with the race Lou.

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
We just want to extend our thanks to everyone at this weekend's Pure "200" race in California City. We had a blast helping everyone and being a part of the excitement. It was hot, dusty, and a lot of fun. Thanks to all the racers and staff for stopping by the Rugged Radios trailer and allowing us to help with your communication needs! We look forward to seeing all of you again soon.

For a little fun, here’s a highlight video of the weekend's event. For more information about this race series or to get in on the racing yourself, be sure to visit our friends at : http://www.averacing.com.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CS5nxiBwMTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mgisonno

Jun 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
ranchoracing.com
Thanks again for a great race Lou, too bad we had to cut it short, but being one of the people that was almost hit by this guy, I'm wy more happy at home than at thw hospital.

In other words, i lost my spare tire at between rm18-19... it is a black DWT 3 piece beadlock with a 28" itp baja cross tire... i saw it on course, as did a coupke other drivers... went back after the finish and it was picked up.... if you Lou know its whereabouts or anyone else, please PM me... I'll even throw in a reward "finders fee" ;)
Hey man, I think my team Rancho Racing has your spare! Please PM the user RanchoRacing on here to give him a description and claim it.

TJWIZ

Double Tap Racing #803
Jul 30, 2011
Moreno Valley, Ca.
www.facebook.com
It was a great day for racing. Too bad they're idiots out there that ruin it for everybody. Besides the sabotage items (mattresses, wood 4X4's and concrete blocks) it was a nice course. I blew a belt on the first lap. Got it changed out and continued pushing forward. Bent Motorsports and CWB Racing, you guys are great as usual. I met a lot of good people out there. Everybody is friendly and willing to help everybody out. Hope to see everybody at the Pure 225

Attachments

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
A Big Thank You to the Santiago crew. They pitted next to us and ran over to help every time we came in to pit........They made fast work of swapping out our clutch. Nascar style!
You guys rock !!!

Hammy149

May 8, 2014
Phoenix
That was a great race that you put on Lou! Unfortunately I cracked my transmission and had to pull out of the race after lap 3. I felt I was putting down some good lap times and was having a blast. I'm guessing I cracked the tranny in the first few miles right after both of the double down signs there was a good size ditch that we G'd out pretty hard and felt the rear end slam into the ground.

If anyone has any pics please share... I think we saw Lou capturing a photo of us bicycling on the first 90 degree left.

Attachments

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
A race report from the drivers seat of car #1021... We were excited to be making another one of these great events put on by Lou and Lois!!! I had been accumulating parts for months feeling that they would help me get onto the podium. The draw was posted on thursday night, and I'd be starting 6th!!! A blessing to be out in front of the other cars on this gnarly fast and silty course... I knew starting out front would be an advantage for us as it's awfully hard to run down cars in their dust. The pre-run went well on friday and another lap that night to test out the new leds proved to be helpful. The clutch setup I went with was not quite right, so some adjustments were made and we felt better about our car. Saturday afternoon came around and after the drivers meeting, we rushed back to get our suits on and into the car. I'm glad we made the decision to get in and get up there, because as we arrived we were told to go ahead and line up, 2 cars ahead of us weren't ready and we'd be starting 4th!!!! :) YES, an even better start!!! We had great cars and drivers in front of us and right behind us, so we knew the 1st lap was going to separate the men from the boys so to speak. The green flag waves and we begin our ascent over the crest into the 1st 90 degree turn, we were a little excited and saw our camera crew eagerly waiting so we took it a little hard and got up on two wheels :eek: "hope he got that shot" Anyways, through the tight twisty turns and couple gotcha's we took it easy, "to finish 1st, you must first finish" I knew (smead) would be hot on our tail to I upped the pace and caught the car in front (westling) as I was trying to make the pass my co-dawg alerts me to (smead) hot on our tail, we take the next turn wide to let him pass safely.. Smead is fast and a clean racer, he's won the first 2 races this year and I knew now was not the time to make it difficult for him... Soon after we were able to pass (westling) and feeling good about our pace as Smead was well ahead of us. This is when our problems started to arise for the #1021 car. I looked at our gauges for a quick assessment on a long straight and notice the water temp rising :confused: have to back it down... we are close to the main pits, so, we back it way down and limp her into the pits. We had a small crew of 1 who was trying to help 2 cars, not ideal, but better than nothing. This is where the crew from (BECKER MOTORSPORTS) jumped in and offered to help in any way they can. HUGE PROPS to these guys, because 1 lap later they would become our lifeline!!! Back onto the course after a few cars had passed us in the pits and away we went. We began to pick up the pace and felt that either the clutch or belt was starting to go :eek: we eased it down a little and tried to keep a steady pace as we talked about our next step. As the clutch setup was starting to fail we decided to swap the primary out for a stock unit, we could try and make up the time in the following laps. As we pulled in our crew was setting up to help change the clutch out and the "Becker" crew jumped right in!!! Even as their own car was coming through they helped us out and had the entire primary ready to go in less than 10 mins. Without their help, I'm sure we would have been there a lot longer. Back onto the course and pressing forward we realized we are catching a car, it was a 1000 and pretty sure it was "ironworks" as we caught him in some of the gnarly twisty silt he allowed us to pass, big thanks for pulling over, and we were on our way to a podium, so we thought..... Seems the belt had another plan for us and quickly changed our fate :eek: should have put on a new belt :mad: Anyways, gave "ironworks" the thumbs up as they passed us back and we went to work on the belt... Our never give up attitude got our belt changed quickly and we were back on our way. We again tried to set a good pace, but realize our clutch setup has us regulated to about 60mph, which we know isn't going to win, but maybe get a decent finish.... we have a monotonous lap before the suns sets and the CRAZY begins!!! About 5 miles in we see head lights coming our way, WTF??? they veer off course and turn off, we think ok, they saw us and got off course, they had other plans as we got closer they turned their lights on and pointed their vehicle right at us :eek: through the bush on 2 wheels we go and don't look back... But then again 3 miles later we come over a crest and there are cinder blocks and buckets of rocks on course, pray we don't hit them and squeeze through... Our light bar has stopped working at this point and we decide to slow it down and keep an eye out for more boobie traps :confused: We push for another lap and Lou advises us to be careful, we come across a mattress and giant log on course that weren't there the first 5 laps and we began to honestly ask ourselves if it is worth it. We push on and across our radio we get word that the race is being shut down, it's been decided it is in our best interest to stop the race and get everyone back safely. We totally respect Lou's decision and am thankful he cares as much as he does. We finish our lap, defeated yes, but winners in our minds. We proved we can hang with the fast guys when we keep the car together, we proved that the offroad community does care about each other and not only tells you they will help, but goes out of their way to help, and we still have the biggest grins on our faces :D

Sneed Motorsports car #1021 would like to thank numerous people for helping make this race happen, My wife 1st, without her I couldn't do this great sport, My co-dawg "simi dude" for keeping me calm and on path, (right hander coming up... I mean left) :p My cousin for giving me his rzr when I blew my motor up shortly before the season :eek: Govacho for a great tire and wheel setup, also for having the best pizza on the west coast over at "GRAND SLAM PIZZERIA" Justin and Jim at Cognito Motorsports for help with my shock package and sway bar, Aaron at PRP seats for a great setup on seats, seat belts, window nets, and tool bag, Randy at Rugged Radios for the great communications and navigation!!! "Slacker" for help on the wiring, J's Racing for pit support and maintenance, BECKER MOTORSPORTS for throwing down on an awesome clutch swap and just being great peeps, Thad at Fabwerx for a great cage, Art at Bert's Mega Mall and lastly STUMPY, Truckndave, and Sand Shark form "STUMPWORKS" for coming out and getting some great video!!!! He'll be dropping the video shortly :D

mgisonno

Jun 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
ranchoracing.com
Hey everyone,

I had a blast at PURE 200 co-driving for 1008 Rancho Racing, even though my team almost got rammed twice by the crazy person in the blue car, almost hit the cinder block wall, had to doge the mattress, had to dodge the door or white piece of wood standing straight up in the middle of the track, etc... It was like something out of a B-rated horror movie. It must have been insane back at main to be listening to us as we were calling it in. At any rate, it was a great race and I'm already looking forward to the next event.

That said, my brother-in-laws brother was chasing at the 12.6 mile pit and was able to capture some great action shots from there. Below is the pictures he's posted. I know he took a lot more and if he posts more, I will make sure to post them up.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Sounds like it was a blast. Silt, interior doors, mattress and rocks...... add a couple old wooden garage doors and thats a baja beach house.

I hope everyone made it out without any damage. Cool photos, I hope to make it out there soon. I have a few buddies racing this series. I have another conflict for the August race but maybe something later in the year.

GOVACHO

Nov 8, 2011
Riverssippi
WHOA !!!

That's insane Garrett. I think Lou needs to have me out on patrol looking for these knuckle heads at the next race. One shot one kill !! Sorry I could do make it.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
That was a great race that you put on Lou! Unfortunately I cracked my transmission and had to pull out of the race after lap 3. I felt I was putting down some good lap times and was having a blast. I'm guessing I cracked the tranny in the first few miles right after both of the double down signs there was a good size ditch that we G'd out pretty hard and felt the rear end slam into the ground.

If anyone has any pics please share... I think we saw Lou capturing a photo of us bicycling on the first 90 degree left.
Sorry to hear of your breakdown! I was wondering what happen as you were moving on the laps 1 and 2. You along with many were flying into that first 90 degree turn. I was with the people that were filming and there should be some awesome footage and pictures.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Garret - nice write up. Just want to thank you for letting me come out and check out the racing and help in the pits. It was a pleasure meeting you, your wife and family. Also fun hanging with Jay, Robert, and their team.

Dave - as always it was fun hanging with you and Stumpy! I had fun cruising the course and helping the film crew. Can't wait for the video.

Garret if you need a driver I think Dave would be great. He was bombing down the course with 3 of us in his T4 with film equipment. He would be hell on wheels in a race car. LMAO!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000