Official Thread for the DWT PURE "350" Presented by SXSPerformance.com

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
UPDATE:

Looking forward to it Lou. Looks like a great course. Who's coming out to race?
It looks like most of the entries we had at the last one will be returning to the DWT PURE "350" Presented by SXSPerformance.com - Aug 2-4, including the guys from as far as Helena, Montana, and Farmington, New Mexico. They've indicated that they will be returning. Plus most everyone who showed up for the "300."

Yesterday we received a call from San Diego by a gentleman who was referred to us by Chris Blais. He is buying a couple of cars and is also modifying them with hand controls. They want to bring several racers, possibly Chris Bais as well. That would be great. Blais has raced with us before in his SXS but his SXS is limited. This gentleman is prepping one to be competitive in the Production 1000cc Class and is going to invite Blais to race it. He and his wife (a doctor) work closely with physically handicap children and adults and they are very interested in being part of our series.

So it looks like we'll have a better entry than before and especially with this "350" course which features a few tough sections over the Volcanic Hills, but also has plenty of fast sections. We are anticipating around 55-minute laps-times for most.
We're also cutting down the number of laps for the Bone Sock Classes down to six laps instead of nine, which should be less daunting for some.
Were also adding "Qualifying for starting positions" for everyone (except Bone Stock) on Saturday, Aug 3, 9 a.m. as an added feature and a special Top Qualifier" Award.

We'll be going out this weekend and checking the course out to get a better idea.

In the meantime send us a e-mail and we can send you the Google Earth .kml file so that you can take a "virtual tour" of the course.

Lou
AVE
www.averacing.com

PS Here's what we're designing for the PURE "350" T-shirt.

Attachments

Mar 27, 2012
Should be in the high 60's.......at night :). It will be hot during the day but cools down pretty quick at night while we are racing.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
1. Matt lasher
2. Brian Bush
3. Branden Sims

Am I the only one who thinks these races may be a tad bit long considering the amount of entrees? Also, are there any media outlets scheduled for the next race? I know Joey and Rusty are stretched pretty thin, but it would be great to see you guys out there!

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
Thinking real hard about this one. How hot does it get out there in August? Might have 2 entries.
July is usually our hottest month. In the last two days it's been well over 105. However, August tones down a bit, usually in the 100s but it gets a bit muggy at times. No to worry. We're laying out the course right next to the Alta Vista Lake, so if you get too hot, stop, jump in and get refreshed... :) :) :)

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
1. Matt lasher
2. Brian Bush
3. Branden Sims

Am I the only one who thinks these races may be a tad bit long considering the amount of entrees? Also, are there any media outlets scheduled for the next race? I know Joey and Rusty are stretched pretty thin, but it would be great to see you guys out there!
LOL, at 45 years old i was feelin it after the last race. a little shorter wouldnt hurt my feelings. that 7 hour drive the next morning felt like eternity.im just more worried if i can get the car together for the next one,would love to be a little more competitive.bouncing off the rev at 71 mph was just flat pissing me off lol.

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
LOL, at 45 years old i was feelin it after the last race. a little shorter wouldnt hurt my feelings. that 7 hour drive the next morning felt like eternity.im just more worried if i can get the car together for the next one,would love to be a little more competitive.bouncing off the rev at 71 mph was just flat pissing me off lol.
I thought I would share some views with you.

As I read your posting(s) and that of others, I realized that we must take your sentiments seriously and consider them. We are still in the formative stages of our PURE SERIES and we can probably say that this first year will be filled with learning curves, adjustments and yes even significant changes if required. Having said that, therein lays the conundrum. What are we striving for in our Series?

• We can produce a series that is strictly for fun, not too challenging, only a few hours long, not too lengthy or difficult but one that would bring in more first-timers and their families to compete without really taxing their personal and physical efforts or their wallet?
• Maybe we should have all Sportsmen Classes, including Bone Stock Classes race 60% of the normal course for each event? That’s a possibility. For the PURE "350" all Bone Stock Classes, will race for only six laps instead of nine.
• Or are we a Series that acts as a precursor to bigger things: Perhaps a “feeder†series, allowing manufacturers to test their line of products and refine their equipment, make improvements, and allow after-market companies the opportunity to experiment and develop new product(s); while training and conditioning racers to eventually tackle the big off-road races, such as the Baja 500 or Baja 1000 or the Mint 400 or Vegas to Reno among others?
• Do we cater to the basics of the sport or do we go after the BIG TIME and set standards for future SXS off-road endurance races. It all begins with the first step, as they say.
• Personally, we would like to be in the forefront of developing the sport of UTV/SXS Off-Road Desert Racing, so that in the next few years, our series will be the pre-eminent series. We didn’t get into this just to promote events and sell a few t-shirts. We wish to take this to the next few levels of the sport.
• Just like people talk about the Baja 1000 or the Mint 400 as life-changing events, we want to establish the PURE SXS SERIES as the one you must compete and gain your place in the annals of the sport.
• Why do I think so? Because I feel we have reached a point in off-road racing where only the elite, cash-healthy and well-healed people will be able to afford to race in SCORE, BITD and/or HDRA in the Truck Class, Class 1 and perhaps Class 10s where it takes hundreds of thousands just to build the equipment, let alone support it.
I believe in the next few years all other classes will dwindle down to a few entries, at least in the major series. Yet in most competitors’ hearts, they still want to compete in the big show.
• So here is where the UTVs/SXSs come in. We will be th3e BIG SHOW!
I’ve spoken to many racers, currently racing in or who have raced in classes such as ½-1600, Classes 5 and 5-1600, Classes 7 and 7S, Class 9, Class 11 and some Class 12 who are doing all they can to be competitive in their classes but find themselves slowly being left behind because they just can’t afford to keep up. In some circles, they are the “after-thought†at most of the major events. “The fillers.†“The house bands,†before the main acts follow. Many have already made the switch to SXS/UTV because for probably half the cost of let’s say a ½-1600, or Class 12, 7 or 7s you can buy a race-ready UTV, add some terrific after-market stuff and be extremely competitive with others in class.
• We believe that we are in the formative stages of something big in the world of UTVs and Side-X-Sides and off-road racing in general. It has taken a bit to formulate but this specific industry is poised for a swell of participants and enthusiasts ON ITS OWN.
• I have mentioned this before; it’s like when we first started producing events for personal watercrafts. Be brought in endurance racing to a sport that was used to short-course, buoy-to-buoy racing. Thrugh Baja Promotions we opened up a whole new world with long distance events, such as the famous Long Beach-2-Catalina and Back, the Salton Sea 400, Speedweek in Laughlin, NV, the famous San Felipe, Ensenada, and Rosarito Beach Shore-2-Shore endurance races. These began to set those standards that are followed to this day. Had it not been for California and other States outlawing certain or most personal watercraft model because of so-called environmental concerns, the sport would still be huge. But many companies decided to pull out of California when these Environ-Whacos took charge. Unfortunately, there went support for the racers and the many sponsorship programs.
• Will this happen with the UTV/SXS Industry? I don’t think so. At least not with the equipment that is being manufactured right now. Our Achilles’s Heel is that we are losing our deserts and open areas to race. Yes, it may be that we will all eventually be regulated to motorsports parks under controlled environments. That’s why the Baja option must always be kept open.
• And that’s why we must continue to use California City as our place to race, because they welcome the OHV community. We must nurture and protect it and try to leave as little impact as we can and find a happy medium between the enthusiasts and the environmentalist. I think we can do it…in fact, AVE is betting on it!

####​

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I personally enjoy the length of the races Lou. When i read that at the Mint 400, utv's only ran 200, i thought it was a let down... we did more miles in your 1st race than what they paid $1000 to run. I feel it is a great feeder series, it allows us not so fortunate a chance to see that we can compete. We can develope strategies and spare parts along with friendships and a resume to seek sponsorships. In our case it is working well as we gain experience and confidence to say that we feel we can attempt the Mint "200" or maybe a vegas to reno. Thanks Lou for allowing us an opportunity hone our skills.

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Hi Lou,

For what it's worth here are a few ideas from a sportsman short track team looking to develop a sportsman desert program:
Based on your thread we believe your series can accomplish your stated objectives, however we think the key is in the offering of progressive step classing: We think there is a sweet spot out there relative to entry cost, classification and distance. (And these three variables represent the formula for race cost/enjoyment)
The series most assuredly has a solid cost offering already. With respect to distance and classing the series might consider this: Having a Pro, Production & Sportsman/Stock class (no cc brackets) . Develop a target Sportsman/Stock class race distance like 150, 200 etc...that will apply. For the longer races as you noted in your post Sportsman/Stock classes will run a reduced distance schedule. This distance can/should be aligned with the Target distance previously mentioned....this would provide teams the chance to race more races without sizably increasing their mileage, wear, maint cost etc...also newer teams would learn how to develop a better planned race program if they have consistent distances and times to plan for.
From this teams can step-up to production class, longer distances and increased race program demands at their own pace. Then on to the Pro class.
We are learning with racing that there is a real correlation between, cost, effort and perceived enjoyment. Series that truly work bottom-up, as opposed to top-down we think will do well.
Not sure if this is of any help, but we appreciate your willingness to listen. Happy Independence Day to all.

Utv133

Mar 14, 2012
Havasu
Gotta keep the cc classes for people like me with a money pit of a 800 rzr . That still wanna race and have a change to win races. I see 12 xp 900 in my class makes me not wanna to beat the hell out of my car to maybe get in the top ten if I'm lucky .. Same goes for rhino guys !!! Just have pro classes and sportmen class. In each cc class .. Pro get paid!!! Sportmens just have a hell of a good time racing !

Just knock a 100 miles off sportmens classes. For weekend warriors with limited suport and help. When I go to races Im lucky to have one other guy to help me.

Just my 2 cent for what it worth!!!!

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
Guys, thanks for your comments so far. They are valid and they are in the hopper. WE think that starting with the PURE "350" having the Bone Stock Classes all required to do six laps instead of nine will be the right step. So we're implementing it.
The question now is, should ALL THE SPORTSMAN CLASSES have to complete only six laps instead of nine?
At this point in time, we really have had only a few Sportsmen participate, so a switch at mid-stream may not be too much to handle.

We're in the middle of a great weekend and we have our family and friends here right now, so your input is really valuable and I can bounce them off the people who I listen to a lot.

Have a great Fourth of July, remember, all this is possible because we live in the greatest country in the world, the United States of America, with the greatest people in this planet. Let us never forget those who have given their life to protect our rights and those who have sacrificed so much so that we can enjoy the fruits of Democracy.
Happy Independence day to the United States of America.

Lou

Mar 27, 2012
Lou, my opinion is don't cut the sportsman number of laps this year. I think I have proved in the last two races that a sportsman can start in the back of the pack and get a fifth overall in the "200" as well as a first overall in the "300". We also want a chance to win the 1.5 k cup at the end of the season.

A complicated option could be that the sportsman class could run the first 6 laps and the times of those 6 laps is how the sportsman class winners are determined but if a sportsman wants to try for the overall win they can continue on and complete the final 3 laps, in the case of the upcoming 350.

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
Lou, my opinion is don't cut the sportsman number of laps this year. I think I have proved in the last two races that a sportsman can start in the back of the pack and get a fifth overall in the "200" as well as a first overall in the "300". We also want a chance to win the 1.5 k cup at the end of the season.

A complicated option could be that the sportsman class could run the first 6 laps and the times of those 6 laps is how the sportsman class winners are determined but if a sportsman wants to try for the overall win they can continue on and complete the final 3 laps, in the case of the upcoming 350.
Hmmmm! Interesting!

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
PURE “350” INFORMATION
As of July 8, 2013

This is the latest information regarding the upcoming DWT PURE “350” Presented by SXSPerformance.com.

• PRE RUN: Friday, August 2, from Noon until Midnight – No late registration on Friday.
• RACE DATE: - Saturday, August 3, 2013
• MANDATORY RACER’S MEETING: Saturday, Aug 3 - Start/Finish at 3 p.m. sharp!
• START TIME: 4 p.m. exactly!
• START SEQUENCE: ONE (1) vehicle every 30 seconds. (This may change according to number of entries.)
• TECH & CONTINGENCY: Saturday, August 3, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• QUALIFYING FOR STARTING POSITIONS: Saturday, Aug 3, 9 a.m. – All Classes except Bone Stock Classes. Must be paid in full to qualify. Those who do not wish to qualify will be sent to the back of the starting order, according to post-mark.
• QUALIFYING FOR BONE-STOCK CLASSES - After all other classes have qualified. Must be paid in full to qualify. Awards: Tentatively scheduled for 11 a.m. Sunday morning, August 4. Location to be announced.
• ENTRIES: Entries are now open and will close on Thursday, August 1, at 6 p.m. for regular entry fee.
• LATE FEE: After Aug 1, at 6 p.m. – ADD $100.00 to all classes.
• LATE ENTRY: Sign-up between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m., Saturday, Aug 3, at the Start/Finish and pay the extra $100.00 – Alta Vista Ranch – 138th & Proctor,
• CONTACT INFORATION: [email protected] or call 760.373.8227 – 661.524.1550c
• SPECIAL DISCOUNT ON EVENT T-SHIRTS – 30% off regular price (Reg. $20) if you have signed up no later than JULY 22 & Pre-ordered and pay for it with your entry.
• IRC TRACKING: Mandatory to have in your vehicle. Pay directly to IRC who will be there to assist you. REMEMBER: It’s your responsibility that the tracking unit gets back to IRC at the end of the event. Even if you break down before completing the race, be sure to return your unit. You will be charged extra if you leave without returning it and/or you may be penalized or disqualified from the event.
• COURSE LENGTH – 351 miles (approx.)
• LAPS TO BE COMPLETED: Nine (9) laps to complete the event, except for the Bone Stock Classes which will only be required to complete six (6) laps.
• TIME LIMIT TO COMPLTE THE PURE “350” – 10 hours – First vehicle to complete all nine (9) laps in Class, all subsequent vehicles in the same class also finish, no matter how many laps are left for each individual.
• NUMBER OF DRIVERS PER ENTRY: You may have as many as four (4) drivers for each entry and four (4) co-drivers/navigators. Each person MUST sign an entry form and Liability release forms accordingly and must be banded by an AVE official. YOU CANNOT add a driver or co-driver/navigator once the event has started!
• PIT ASSISTANCE: All “Pit” personnel MUST also be banded by an AVE official with an official “Pit Band.” Only two Pit persons allowed per entry at MAIN PIT.
• MAIN PITS: Each entry will be assigned a 30-foot wide slot along the “horseshoe” portion of the track (next to race course). These spots are assigned on a first-come-first-serve basis, except for “Title” and “Presenting” sponsors who have been assigned a permanent spot for the remaining of the series.
• OUTLYING PITS: For this event there will be at least one Fueling and/or Mechanical Pit on the course. It will be designated accordingly on the “Final” map you receive.
• RACE COURSE RATING: The rating is 6.7 – (1 = very slow, practically impassable – 10 = very fast, almost like a freeway) Note: The “200” was rated as a 5.7 and the “300” was rated as a 5.1—Do the math!
• COURSE MAP AND GPS FILE: We can provide you with a final course map before the start of the event and we can also make available the “.kml” Google Earth files for your GPS to convert and download. These will be available when you sign up and on Friday before pre-running.
• VIRTUAL COURSE: We will publish on our website: www.averacing.com You can take a “virtual tour” of the course.
• COURSE MARKINGS: We use white and red/orange ribbon, pinned to bushes and tree limbs with reflective white tape. We also use black arrows on a white background. Mileage markers will be every five (5) miles or less, where we feel it’s necessary.
• DANGER AND TURN MARKINGS: We will have “down” arrows indicating “slow down” and change of course. Two or three down arrows may be used to reflect danger zones.
• SPECIAL RULES: If you wish to change classes mid-season, you may do so under two conditions:
o Change into any Class as long as your vehicle fits the category of the Class and you do not take any of the points you have earned into the new class, or…
o Change Class with some points, but the majority of the active racers in the class you wish to join must approve of your change and allow you to take 70% of your points into the class.
• RESULTS: We may post “Unofficial” results after the event is over and all vehicles are off the racecourse and accounted for. If it’s too late, we will post the unofficial results at the Awards next morning.
• PRO PAYBACK: All Pros who qualify will be paid back according to the posted chart in our website. If you would like to have a copy of the chart let us know and we’ll e-mail it to you or you can download it.
• 1099/W9 IRS FORMS: We must have one of these forms on file with your entry folder before we can pay you your winnings. Those of you, who have already filed such a form with us, do not need to fill any more forms in 2013. The payback will be sent to you when the results become “Official” normally from five to ten days after the event.
• AWARDS: Tentatively scheduled for 11 a.m. Sunday morning, August 4. Location to be announced at the Driver’s Meeting or before.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND WE’LL SEE YOU AUG 2-4, 2013!

AVE
www.averacing.com
[email protected]
760.373.8227 or 661.524.1550c

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
We were disappointed to see that all the Stock UTVs DID NOT FINISH at the El Dorado 500. However, there's still an opportunity for you to compete in the "350" here in Cal City. It's long, it's tough but in short spurts and the "350" course will be the most awesome 39-mile course you've ever raced on. Not a punishing experience but a great test for you, your equipment and your resolve.

Don't forget, the DWT PURE "350" Presented by SXSPerformance.com - August 2-4.

Qualifying for starting positions on a 2-mile course in front of everyone is Saturday, Aug 3 at 9 a.m. and race starts at 4 pm.

Pre-running is Friday, August 2 starting at 12 NOON until Midnight!!

Go to: www.averacing.com for more details.

AVE

Attachments

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
UPDATE - JULY 19 - PURE "350"...

Racers, Friends and Enthusiasts- Update July 19 – 4:30 p.m.:

The DWT PURE “350†Presented by SXSPerformance.com is fast approaching and you may wish to take advantage of several options if you sign up in time. For example:

• If you sign up and pay the deposit of $50 or pay your entry in full by JULY 22, 2013 you will receive a 30% Discount on the PURE “350†event T-shirt (Regular $20), or $14 ea. You can fax your entry to: 877.842.3052 or e-mail to: [B][email protected][/B]
• If you sign up no later than Thursday, August 1 by 6 p.m. you will pay the regular entry fees: Pros $350 & Sportsman $150
• Qualifying starting order: We will start you according to when we received you entry. Qualifying starts Saturday, Aug 3. 9 a.m. The qualifying lap is approximately 2 miles in front of the start/finish. – Based on how you qualify is how you will be “staged†later on for the 4 p.m. start of the PURE “350â€.
• Top Qualifier Award(s) will be presented at the Mandatory Racer’s Meeting at 3 p.m. one hour before the start of the event.
• Please remember: Any entries or deposits received AFTER August 1, at 6 p.m. will be charged an additional $100 as a “Late Fee.â€
• Your IRC tracking unit will be installed in your vehicle by IRC personnel. The IRC fee is $35. Immediately following the race, the IRC unit will be collected from you at the S/F to verify your laps and times. Failure to turn-in the IRC unit may penalize and/or disqualify you from the event.
• IT’S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE THE UNIT IS RETURNED EVEN IF YOU BROKE DOWN DURING THE EVENT! IT’S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO LET US KNOW IF YOU ARE UT OF THE RACE
• Awards will be held at the AMERICAN LEGION Hall in Cal City, Sunday, Aug 4 at 10:30 a.m. where breakfast and drinks will be available. Directions to the American Legion will be provided when you “check-in†at the start/finish.
• Be sure to go to: www.averacing.com or contact us at [email protected] if you need additional information.

Attached are entry, course, t-shirt art. Good luck and we look forward to seeing you soon.

AVE

Attachments

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000