Official Blue Water Desert Challenge thread

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Leucrcia I could feel your pain from the beach in Maui. Loved the internet tracking this particular race! As Reid said the Murrays had the same problem earlier this year....two shock shafts snapped in same whoop. Reid also explained our "quick fix". I'm sure you will be running up front soon as you eliminate the issues of a new race car.

Speaking of shocks and this weekend....the 1917 had a problem also. The Murray's had the 1917 parked on their "open" trailer Saturday night down by the boat ramp, near another team truck and in view from 1917 team hotel room. Regardless, someone came by that night and messed with the rebound settings of both rear shocks which can be done so easily. Once Jason and Derek took off Sunday they knew something was horribly wrong once the shocks warmed up resulting with the rear end pounding into every deep whoop. Derek had actually adjusted the rebound the night before to compensate for what was to be a much rougher course on Sunday. With each lap the rear skid plate came looser due to the pounding and eventually became a scoop that hung down 6" and kept peeling back as the race went on. They stopped in the pit to see if it could be repaired/removed but couldn't in a timely fashion. Once the race was over he, Jason and team debated what could have caused the problem. When Derek went to count the "click" settings he discovered someone had backed the screws all the way out of both rear shocks. :mad:!! Lesson learned was we will no longer park our vehicle on an open trailer ever again. See you in Baja!
Thanks Bill! We have the car all fixed and are currently waiting for our new shocks to arrive. We will be testing the correct set up at Barstow for the Powder Puff. :) Really sad to hear that someone messed with your car. We leave our car outside the trailer every race. Makes me want to maybe rethink that. If you all are bored next weekend come watch us race in Barstow and help us save 2nd base!

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
That really sucks! There is always someone who can't seem to compete on even odds! I was the co-driver for Shannon Campbell at KOH last year in the spec class. Sometime between the late night wrench session and when we hit the starting line somebody turned our adjusters to zero as well. We almost rolled in the first turn and had to fight to keep control of the rig until we were sidelined with a fuel issue and checked out the shocks while we were out of the car. Not only is it dirty racing but a good way to seriously hurt someone. To bad people have to stoop to such a level when the vast majority of the racers are exactly the opposite.

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
That is low and a desperate act if a competitor messed with your shocks. Reminds me of several supercross mechanics would grind off the knob portion of the fuel shut off valves. A quarter turn by someone walking by could cause a fuel starve out on the face of a large double.

Sometimes sacrificing a little convenience of quick adjustment pays off when people are messing with your stuff. It wouldn't even need to be done under the cover of night. Contingency is a vital place to keep a watch on your stuff.

Queen Racing

Make RZR's go BRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP - UTVUnderground A
May 4, 2010
Lake Havasu City, AZ
www.queenracing.com
That really sucks! There is always someone who can't seem to compete on even odds! I was the co-driver for Shannon Campbell at KOH last year in the spec class. Sometime between the late night wrench session and when we hit the starting line somebody turned our adjusters to zero as well. We almost rolled in the first turn and had to fight to keep control of the rig until we were sidelined with a fuel issue and checked out the shocks while we were out of the car. Not only is it dirty racing but a good way to seriously hurt someone. To bad people have to stoop to such a level when the vast majority of the racers are exactly the opposite.
I was not going to say anything but at V2R someone drained one of our quick fill cans that we just filled up with fresh fuel and they were so nice to top it off with water. They were sitting in the back of the truck at the race hotel the night before the race in the secured semi parking right next to the Voss semi. Someone is out to get the utv drivers..

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
Thanks Bill! We have the car all fixed and are currently waiting for our new shocks to arrive. We will be testing the correct set up at Barstow for the Powder Puff. :) Really sad to hear that someone messed with your car. We leave our car outside the trailer every race. Makes me want to maybe rethink that. If you all are bored next weekend come watch us race in Barstow and help us save 2nd base!
I still remember when I stole second base the first time! :rolleyes: Third and Home too! :D!

I would come to Barstow but was out at the PURE 275 Saturday with Logan Gastel who runs under the Murray Racing umbrella. This weekend I'll be in Roseville visiting my only Grandson who I miss so much....and his parents too.

Good luck out there and give your Mav a good test run for Henderson..........and help us push a RZR off the BITD podium. ;)

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
We've never had a problem after 4.5 years of UTV racing. You're right someone could get really hurt with just a simple tweak or loosening of a nut/bolt/screw.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I was not going to say anything but at V2R someone drained one of our quick fill cans that we just filled up with fresh fuel and they were so nice to top it off with water. They were sitting in the back of the truck at the race hotel the night before the race in the secured semi parking right next to the Voss semi. Someone is out to get the utv drivers..
That is insane! Was it dumped into a car?

Queen Racing

Make RZR's go BRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP - UTVUnderground A
May 4, 2010
Lake Havasu City, AZ
www.queenracing.com
That is insane! Was it dumped into a car?
No the car was fine. It was only in 1 can which I filled all of them out of 2 brand new drums that were perfectly cleaned and filled up at the airport the day before. There was no possible way for it to get in there. Both of the drums were checked after also and they were not touched. Only the one can.. 13 gallons of water! We were lucky enough to catch it because the other cans were blue and this one was clear from the color of the fuel as all cans were white.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
No the car was fine. It was only in 1 can which I filled all of them out of 2 brand new drums that were perfectly cleaned and filled up at the airport the day before. There was no possible way for it to get in there. Both of the drums were checked after also and they were not touched. Only the one can.. 13 gallons of water! We were lucky enough to catch it because the other cans were blue and this one was clear from the color of the fuel as all cans were white.
Maybe someone thought you were going to need to soak your wounds after the beating they were going to give you.:eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000