Official 2014 Vegas To Reno Update Thread

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Dayum.... maybe I'm getting too old or got the LOW T syndrome I see advertised on the commercials... but you guys got some serious balls to race in that dust, I can't see a F-ing thing.
That's a pretty typical desert race for ya. The first 100 miles were brutal on Friday.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Don't mind me, I'm trying to steer the screen left and right as if I'm driving the car. Man I got the sickness bad!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
http://youtu.be/zkPnPPKZSto
First little bit of action early on. I hard wired the gopro and with a 64gb card set to 720p we were able to record the whole race. I'll end up doing a real edit not with my phone.
See with all of that super low visibility and no GPS like the Old Days people would have to slow down and that goes the same for the trophy Trucks to. Its time to Just Ban the GPS systems and go Back to Driving like its supposed to be. GPS is the real problem.

Apr 10, 2011
Memphis,TN
How would you race these events without them? I would have to differ from you Warloc. We run in dust all the time at our rally raid events and do not run gps. Trees are our limiting factors racing here in the southeast. Pee Wee my co-dawg called turns and gave me ideas where the big curves are which is a big help. If I were to race without it I would be lost. All that vast terrain out there its easy to loose your way. You can only follow dust trails so long before you lose them. So many ride out there when you come to a crossroad you don't know where to go.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Good move, I hope to see you racing at the SCORE race, I will be there doing the safety for it and always like seeing your car charging.

I think the feedback to BITD will be overwhelming in the next few days.
We'll be there. Just deciding what to do as far as a car goes to bring to the race. We were already looking for options regarding that, and now, since our car is damaged, have reason to surely explore another vehicle for that race. Even more than V2r, we will get our asses handed to us if we race the Monster Mav. Too much accelerating and smooth lines for our car to be a contender to win. Podium, maybe. Again, thanks for the advice on the "breathing" thing!

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
We'll be there. Just deciding what to do as far as a car goes to bring to the race. We were already looking for options regarding that, and now, since our car is damaged, have reason to surely explore another vehicle for that race. Even more than V2r, we will get our asses handed to us if we race the Monster Mav. Too much accelerating and smooth lines for our car to be a contender to win. Podium, maybe. Again, thanks for the advice on the "breathing" thing!

Maybe you can borrow a car from the Murray's

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Maybe you can borrow a car from the Murray's
Although we are good friends with the Murrays (who helped us out at v2r in a desparate time during the race), it would be a conflict of interest for them, and I wouldn't expect it.,or be disappointed if they wouldn't.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I'm thinking a longer wheelbase Monster Mav! I know where there is a brand new chassis just sitting ready to be fab'ed on! IMO the benefits of the longer wheelbase out weigh the the down side to having to build a new chassis. The handling in the rough would be greatly improved. Just think if the room you would have for packaging? Think about clutch access & cooling? Fuel cell location? Head room as the new chassis would be a few inches taller! The good news is the suspension is the same, so most of what is currently designed should be able to transfer right over.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
It would not be a desert UTV race without you guys there. Maybe time to jump ship and join the XP1000 rank and file? or build a Maverick Max?

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
are you thinking 4 seater chassis to heavy. because iam sure that's what I would be thinking.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I'm thinking a longer wheelbase Monster Mav! I know where there is a brand new chassis just sitting ready to be fab'ed on! IMO the benefits of the longer wheelbase out weigh the the down side to having to build a new chassis. The handling in the rough would be greatly improved. Just think if the room you would have for packaging? Think about clutch access & cooling? Fuel cell location? Head room as the new chassis would be a few inches taller! The good news is the suspension is the same, so most of what is currently designed should be able to transfer right over.
Marc and I talked more than once in the last couple of days about throwing the suspension on the new Max frame we have, cage-ing it out, and running it. Problem is, if I just throw on the parts to the stock frame, and add a cage and supporting gussets, etc., then we will have added an additional 100 lbs. or so to our current weight problem (based on the dry weight specs from the Mfg. on the Can-am Max, versus the Maverick), putting us in the 2,500 lb. range! Really? I can get the 4 seater ready in the same time as repairing the 2 seater, but it does not allow time for a total re-structuring and design of the tube framework that supports the pivot points, as well as the upper tubing that ties the roll cage into the chassis.

As far as the new build would go, I need to stick to my plan on gutting the Max frame down to the "2 parallel frame rails, and the tubing at the ends that joins them", as the rules allow. Basically, a rectangular weldment that runs from the front to the rear of the passenger compartment. Then, with a bit of trimming down and re-designing of the inner pivoting hardware on my proven a arms, installing our new aluminum-bodied Fox shocks, exchanging the many front body panels for a single one piece composite unit, and adjusting to run a 14" rim, with a lighter, less agressive tire than we currently run, I feel I can provide Marc a car weighing in under 1,850 lbs. wet (w/out occupants) that is the baddest car out there. Add to that the dream clutch that Adam and I discussed with larger diameter pulleys (that's all I can say for now, so no prying into me for clutch info, please!), and with Marc behind the wheel, we will have the advantage in the pro UTV 1900 class over any competitor, on any open desert course. The burden then would lie on this old mans back!

For all you critics who still don't believe this class can be dominated due to a drivers skills and good preparation over anything else, feel free to schedule a play day with Marc and your top driver, in equally prepared cars (i.e. same mfg. with identical components) in any terrain, and see how they measure up. I would bet my sole possession in life, the rv in which I live (and Marc would most likely bring a bunch of greenbacks to the table too!) that you will be proven wrong. Don't call your buddy Brice Menzies in to prove me wrong! I'm talking about drivers that currently race in our class, in the SCORE and BITD races. I have faith in Marc, and would do anything to support his racing, as he does me.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
SCORE Desert Challenge will be a GP type event, so cornering and acceleration are gonna beat out desert handling at that event. Most of the course was run during the first race there.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
It would not be a desert UTV race without you guys there. Maybe time to jump ship and join the XP1000 rank and file? or build a Maverick Max?
Can-am's been pretty stingy with us this year, given our results. I told Marc that just out of spite, Polaris would probably make a brand change for MB Motorsports next year worth his while. Marc';s made it clear that he is not currently pursuing driving a UTE next year. For him, they are much to slow, no matter how bad-ass a car I can try building. If we do race next season, it will be in a car that is able to win the field in every race it enters. At Marc's level, the mentality is that if you do not have a chance to win, why enter? In it to win it they say.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Here are a couple pics I have on my phone. Monster Mav and a couple others.

The winners cranking out a new tire change.

I'm so country... I'm my own damn cousin.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
Can-am's been pretty stingy with us this year, given our results. I told Marc that just out of spite, Polaris would probably make a brand change for MB Motorsports next year worth his while. Marc';s made it clear that he is not currently pursuing driving a UTE next year. For him, they are much to slow, no matter how bad-ass a car I can try building. If we do race next season, it will be in a car that is able to win the field in every race it enters. At Marc's level, the mentality is that if you do not have a chance to win, why enter? In it to win it they say.
350K and you can have the #9 TSCO trophy truck, all prep'd.;)

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
It amazes me that Can Am would not be full tilt with MB Motorsports as you have done so much for the Maverick.

If Marc and you want to prove preparation and driver skill wins races, shock the race community and turn a Wildcat into a desert race machine. I bet AC would love to make him deal he can't refuse.

So Class 1 or TT next year for him?

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I think AC gave up. They had a factory unit w Dragon fire/Todd Romano. Maybe Hans can chime in here and let us know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000