Official: 2014 Mint 400 race thread

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Good Morning all,
So I thought I would check out the Mint Thread to see some great race reports and instead I come on to find a competitor bashing our team , So My first response was also WOW!.
I have read some of the BAM posts in the past and have just thought Huh.... this guy has a lot of time on his hands.

I do not spend too much time posting here but I feel compelled to respond to these comments that question the integrity of our team.

First to address the tracking issue: We checked in with IRC on Friday morning to pick up our trackers and IRC told us that they did not have trackers for our cars They did not have enough trackers but were working on the problem. We were told to check back with them later in the day. We communicated with IRC all day long and at the end of contingency they still did not have trackers for us. We were told that Casey would make an announcement at the drivers meeting to address this. At the end of the drivers meeting we went to Casey and told him that in fact we still did not have a trackers for either of our cars. Casey's comment was " that's not my problem" At that point we took it upon ourselves to track down IRC and finally at about 9:00 PM they got trackers in our cars. The 1931 tracker linked up immediately but the 1919 tracker did not. We were told (as we have been told in the past) " it will link it just takes a while" Wel it never did link up. At the starting line we again found the IRC People and they worked on our tracker right up to the start of the race. I hate the IRC system! When it works it's cool but unfortunately it is not reliable and has a long way to go. The Whole IRC debate has been covered many times over on many levels and forums so I won't go any further into that, " get used to it"
We do not even attempt to use the IRC system as any sort of tool in our race strategy and I would recommend the same to any team. So If the lack of IRC tracking cost you race then call them, don't bash us.

As for any un official comments for the SF-250, the only comments that I heard multiple times was "where did the 1905 car come" from because no one saw them all day long and no one saw the car pass the 1932 "X" car but They were on the podium 20 minutes before us. Anyway that's okay and we are very happy with a podium finish after having a late mechanical issue that could have very well taken us out of the race. And I also recall reading a congratulation go out to both the Winner and the second place finishers from Team JX.

Indeed we are going to need to "do our homework" for Baja Apparently a creative strategy is very helpful. BTW I heard that Marc is close friends with Roger Norman and gets to help mark the course for the Baja races?. If that's true please give us a call next time we would love to help. I think that could really be helpful when planning our strategy.

As for the Awards, Sorry if our team did not "acknowledge" your presence but the fact is that until then I have never really even formally met Marc Burnett. We had a brief and very cordial conversation and mutual accolades were exchanged. Sorry if this was not acceptable.

I'm really not sure how the Jagged X team managed to "get under your skin" so deeply but if you feel that any of our team has disrespected you or your team in the past I apologize. In fact we are all too well aware of the Bullseye that we carry with us.
We have had great success in UTV racing over the past 7 years. And I know that there are many teams gunning for us at every race. We simply try to bring our best game to every race our whole team works very hard to insure our success.

We try to present a professional and competitive team at every race. We hope that no one could ever question the integrity or sportsmanship of our team.

BS JX
I am quickly learning that IRC tracking is not a reliable tool to use to monitor the competition. Despite the image of our car and rolling stock, most of the logistical costs of racing are not covered by outside sponsorship. Lack of hands is always a challenge to us at each race except Mexico, where we are pretty well connected. We rarely have the man power to delegate a specific task such as time tracking to a single individual.
I'm not sure though how IRC couldn't provide you with a tracker all day Friday, when when I just drove up, along with 3 other vehicles around 4 p.m. or so Friday, and they had a tracker for each of us. I find it hard to believe that you didn't refer even once to the tracking data available to you throughout the race, but if you say it is so, then that is that, and I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the fee's were not paid far enough in advance.
You said that you have read some of my past posts, all you could think of was that "I have a lot of time on my hands". Really? Please understand Bill, that this is the mentality that I am referring to, and as you say "bashing" your team about. Instead of acknowledging the majority of the content of what I post, which is directly related to the technology, tricks, design choices, etc. of what went into properly designing and building our car, you minimize my efforts by saying that I must have a lot of time on my hands. How about thinking that this guy sure is open about the hard work he put into designing and building his car and is kind to share it? We both know how secretive race teams can be.
Regarding Marc and Roger's relationship, I have no idea how close they may or may not be, but I do know this: From what Marc tells me, anyone can help mark the race course if they are willing to put in their own time and money to do so. I don't think it is an event that is formally offered to the gheneral public, but if you PM me your number, I'll forward it on to Marc, and let him know that you would like to be involved in marking this years course(s). Cory kind of made a similar statement regarding us assisting in marking the race courses, and any advantages it may have. Marc's response to him was to come on out and help us mark the next one. I think he is helping mark the Imperial Valley course in April. It is a long and drawn out process to accomplish, and any organized help I 'm sure is appreciated. Marc's doesn't benefit as much from marking the course as he does from his experience racing there. He's won on bikes and trucks, all of the Mexico SCORE races including the Baja 500 and 1000. He's consistently raced out there for 25 years, and is well versed on the terrain.
As far as the SF comments go that "nobody saw us all day long", that would be the case for the front runners. we were not running in front until the final miles of the race. The leading teams I assume logistically place their crews to serve their car, and are not staying behind once their car passes only to keep track of back markers, unless they are place there for that purpose. I'm sure the back markers will attest to our presence, as we had belt problems early on (Marc actually had you in his sights around mile 30 when he lost a belt), and passed many of them twice from the back of the pack.
In closing, I will admit that my insecurities may cloud my judgement at times of others as it relates to them saying or not saying something about us or my posts.
I only try to use facts or details that I believe to be true when commenting here, although my wordsmithing can at times be manipulating. But I can say wih certainty that your table had to know it was us standing in front of you at the awards banquet, and prior meetings with Marc or our team have no bearing on the fact that the group of people standing before you were the same ones racing against you for the win. It was at least a minute, or maybe two until Marc turned around and extended his hand.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
It was the Mint "200" all of the UTV teams raced half as hard, and came out half prepared.
Ha!

I remember a time when the UTV racing took place on the race course. We would race hard all day long, then after the race we would hang around and BS. It used to be really fun. What happened?

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
My hats off to the whole Jagged X team! Their success, combined with their overall presence and sportsmanship is second to none. This team went out of their way to assist with some technical issues that I had during the race. I had no support at remote pit 1. Although Jaggeds cars were through pit 1 on lap 2, their chase team stayed late to ensure that I had the spare tire that they swapped from wheel to wheel for me.

Another special thanks to Team Jean, and Paul Hart for lending me one of their spares to go on to a solid top 10 finish!

In regards to safety and what classes are allowed to run in our race...... I'll be seeing a chiropractor and replacing parts of my car from what I would call an extremely unprofessional nerfing that I took from what appeared to be a trophy truck sized pre-runner. I'm guessing they hit us going 20 mph faster than we were traveling with no warning, no sirens, ect. It was dangerous, costly, inconsiderate, and disrespectful. If I knew who this driver was I would have no problem engaging in a professional discussion about safety and respect of other racers.

Thanks to UTV Inc, Lonestar Racing, Fox, ITP, PRP, Rigid, PCI!
thats scary shit right there. i feel for ya .i had the riot racing truck do a fly by on me at rage at the river, he was practicing during our race.broke every light and mirror on my car from rocks. even cracked my face shield.i know it was a, watch this ,moment for him. i still dont think that should be allowed. but has been addressed numerous times and doesnt seem to be problem for them.just sucks for the guys who are actually racing and not practicing....

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
The Jagged X Team and all of it's members exude professionalism and demonstrate the epitome of sportsmanship as far as Murray Motorsports and I are concerned. They have helped us and many other teams when asked or they saw the need to help. Example: At the 2013 V2R while I was preoccupied with filling the car with fuel for the final dash to the finish, they yelled out "you got a flat!" and by the time I said "what?" they were already dragging their jack over and changed the tire for me. That was amazing and I am hoping to pay them back someday.

The only thing about their team I question is after a race when we all meet to swap stories they always offer me a icy cold Bud Light but I prefer Coors Light! :D

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
During the race, our support truck was unable to navigate through the heavy spectator traffic to reach us at a remote pit in time.

Is it acceptable at BITD to light up the truck with strobes, horn/siren, ect and respectably and safely pass spectator traffic to reach their pits? After all we are racing.... lol

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
During the race, our support truck was unable to navigate through the heavy spectator traffic to reach us at a remote pit in time.

Is it acceptable at BITD to light up the truck with strobes, horn/siren, ect and respectably and safely pass spectator traffic to reach their pits? After all we are racing.... lol
IDK what pit area your speaking of, but the Remote pit 1 the only traffic should have been the parking police....I took the passing lane and drove by them

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Is it acceptable at BITD to light up the truck with strobes, horn/siren, ect and respectably and safely pass spectator traffic to reach their pits?
At the Parker race last year we were going back between the 2 midway pits for the class 1 car. Cruising by us was a truck all decked out with Rigid lights. Following him was another truck with some lights. One looked like a full chase truck, the other looked like a regular truck. Both were driving the speed limit, but both had the little duelly lights in strobe mode. A police officer went by the opposite direction, made a U-Turn and pulled the second truck over. At first we did not know if they were getting a ticket or what? We later talked to the guy in the first truck and he said his friend did get a ticket for running non DOT lights on the road. He said when his friend started to question the officer told him he could get him for impersonating an emergency vehicle, which would have been much worst. So I guess he graciously took the ticket.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
My hats off to the whole Jagged X team! Their success, combined with their overall presence and sportsmanship is second to none. This team went out of their way to assist with some technical issues that I had during the race. I had no support at remote pit 1. Although Jaggeds cars were through pit 1 on lap 2, their chase team stayed late to ensure that I had the spare tire that they swapped from wheel to wheel for me.

Another special thanks to Team Jean, and Paul Hart for lending me one of their spares to go on to a solid top 10 finish!

In regards to safety and what classes are allowed to run in our race...... I'll be seeing a chiropractor and replacing parts of my car from what I would call an extremely unprofessional nerfing that I took from what appeared to be a trophy truck sized pre-runner. I'm guessing they hit us going 20 mph faster than we were traveling with no warning, no sirens, ect. It was dangerous, costly, inconsiderate, and disrespectful. If I knew who this driver was I would have no problem engaging in a professional discussion about safety and respect of other racers.

Thanks to UTV Inc, Lonestar Racing, Fox, ITP, PRP, Rigid, PCI!
Serious question, since these are blue light vehicles why couldn't you add or run a blue LED whip? Might help get the light up out of the dust and give that larger vehicle 1 additional second to react and slow down?

Brian B

Jan 15, 2009
Serious question, since these are blue light vehicles why couldn't you add or run a blue LED whip? Might help get the light up out of the dust and give that larger vehicle 1 additional second to react and slow down?

I dont think theres anything in the book that would suggest that you couldnt do this. Interesting idea. This person saw my lights and dust I'm sure of it. We were on a 4 mile straight stretch going uphill. He was being chased by a heli so I can only assume is was a trophy truck driver prerunning..

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
The blue rear facing light is SUPER bright Doug. In the dust I don't know that a whip LED is going to make a difference. The dust is pretty thick .

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
The blue rear facing light is SUPER bright Doug. In the dust I don't know that a whip LED is going to make a difference. The dust is pretty thick .
X2...the blue KC light is blinding! They saw him, but didn't respect the light or the class!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I dont think theres anything in the book that would suggest that you couldnt do this. Interesting idea. This person saw my lights and dust I'm sure of it. We were on a 4 mile straight stretch going uphill. He was being chased by a heli so I can only assume is was a trophy truck driver prerunning..
Chances are those heli guys were chasing you!!!

Brian B

Jan 15, 2009
Chances are those heli guys were chasing you!!!
I thought so at first.... The heli continued on to follow this particular truck.... Really hope to see that footage if they were filming.....

Dec 20, 2011
I will be discussing the issue of nerving with Casey next week. I will ask for a no touch rule for all pre runners in the sportsman class.
Jagged X team has been racing UTV's since the beginning of the sport I have never heard anything but compliments about their sportsmanship and integrity. I am great friends with the entire Schuler family and know for a fact they would never cheat or break the rules to win a race.
Badassmav I would ask you to follow the "Bambie" rule my mom taught me "If you can't say something nice say NOTHING" All the teams in the BITD UTV racing seen are a tight group. We all congratulate, cheer for and help each other. Now that you have joined our tribe please respect our customs. This will bring you the respect you seem to be desperately needing. "Patience grass hopper you will catch more bees with honey" It's ok to talk about all your fab stuff and how you built your UTV, but stick with that. I have worked very very hard to help build the BITD UTV class and It makes us all look bad when you talk bad about another team. This does not encourage new racers it drives them away. Lets all try to continue to lead by example. Cory S

Reactions: 1 person

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
I will be discussing the issue of nerving with Casey next week. I will ask for a no touch rule for all pre runners in the sportsman class.
Jagged X team has been racing UTV's since the beginning of the sport I have never heard anything but compliments about their sportsmanship and integrity. I am great friends with the entire Schuler family and know for a fact they would never cheat or break the rules to win a race.
Badassmav I would ask you to follow the "Bambie" rule my mom taught me "If you can't say something nice say NOTHING" All the teams in the BITD UTV racing seen are a tight group. We all congratulate, cheer for and help each other. Now that you have joined our tribe please respect our customs. This will bring you the respect you seem to be desperately needing. "Patience grass hopper you will catch more bees with honey" It's ok to talk about all your fab stuff and how you built your UTV, but stick with that. I have worked very very hard to help build the BITD UTV class and It makes us all look bad when you talk bad about another team. This does not encourage new racers it drives them away. Lets all try to continue to lead by example. Cory S
Well said Cory......

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
trust me.. we got BANGERS from the air!

That dry lake bed was crazy!!! All we could see was the helicopter, so we slowed way down and headed toward it.... When the dust cleared at the end there was three wrecked race cars!!! Luckily we only missed the course by a hundered yards or so!! :eek:

Brian B

Jan 15, 2009

Well said, and thank you.

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Excellent post Cory! This is the true spirit of the class. Thanks for all you have done for the sport of UTV racing and as I have said before, my greatest joy is hoping and helping the Pro UTV class grow in desert racing whether it be BITD, SCORE, SNORE, etc.

Again...class post! A hearty, 'Woot...woot!' to you amigo!

-MP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000