Polaris Need help with xp fuel cell

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
I am building a bitd rzr xp4 and need to figure out the fuel cell issue. My questions are

1. Do I need a return line going back into the tank?
2. What is a good fuel cell to run I would like 15-17 gallons
3. What is the ohm rating for the rzr xp for a sending unit
4. What is the proper psi for the file pump to be at and do I have to run a regulator to keep it at that psi or does the motor have a bypass..

Thanks

RUSTY STEBAR

Jan 19, 2013
CEDAR CITY, UT
www.ssspolaris.com
I HAVE JUST GOT DONE BUILDING A RZR XP 900 CAR FOR THE HDRA RACE SERIES. THE FUEL PRESSURE SHOUD BE 43.5 PSI PLUS OR MINUS 2 PSI. YOU MAY OR MAY NOT NEED AN ADDITIONAL REGULATOR DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH PRESSURE YOU PUMP MAKES. I USED THE STOCK FUEL RAIL FITTINGS AND HOSE CLAMPED MY FUEL LINE OVER THEM. YOU MUST HAVE A RETURN LINE TO THE TANK. THE STOCK FUEL RAIL CAN REGULATE ITS OWN PRESSURE AND YOU WANT THE EXCESS FUEL GOING BACK INTO THE CELL. I RAN MINE RIGHT INTO THE FILLER NECK OF THE CELL.

Reactions: 1 person

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
So if I have a pump that does 100 psi will the fuel rail bleed the excess pressure off into the return line

RUSTY STEBAR

Jan 19, 2013
CEDAR CITY, UT
www.ssspolaris.com
I DONT THINK THE RETURN ON THE STOCK SYSTEM WILL HANDLE THAT MUCH PRESSURE. IS IT AN INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL PUMP THAT YOU ARE USING? THE PUMP I USE IS EXTERNAL FROM NAPA PART NUMBER "NFP P5000" IT FLOWS 50 GPH. IT CAN SPIKE UP TO 75 PSIAND IS CONSISTEND AT 50. SO FAR I HAVENT HAD ANY ISSUE WITH THE PRESSURE EFFECTING THE INJECTORS OR FUEL SYSTEM AND HAVE NEVER HAD A LEAN CONDITION YET FROM NOT ENOUGH PRESSURE

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Ok great I haven't purchased anything yet I am trying to make sure I buy the right one... What fuel cell are using...

RUSTY STEBAR

Jan 19, 2013
CEDAR CITY, UT
www.ssspolaris.com
I AM USING A JAZ CELL. PT#270-012-06. ITS A 12 GALLON CELL. I ONLY HAVE A 2 SEATER SO I DIDNT HAVE A LOT OF ROOM FOR A HUGE CELL. ALSO BEWARE THAT FUEL CELLS WITH FOAM DONT HOLD THE CAPACITY LISTED. MINE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A 12 GALLON AND I CAN ONLY GET ABOUT TEN IN IT BECAUSE OF THE FOAM. ALSO IF YOU GO THE ROUTE OF A EXTERNAL PUMP MAKEURE YOUR FUEL FILTER IS BEFORE PUMP... TRUST ME ON THAT ONE... LEARNED THE HARD WAY

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Are u running a pressure regulator? I just ordered the fuel cell and now need to order filters and pumps thinking of running dual pumps but not sure how to plumb it

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
My concern that I have is over heating a fuel pump, I was thinking if I put two fuel pumps on the car and wired them to a switch all I have to do is wire a switch in to change them over if I need, can anyone help me with this.
Also if I get a 45PSI pump and not put a regulator in will this work????

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
A lot of guys actually run the stock, 'in-tank' fuel pump in their fuel cells. There has always been a debate on which is better, in-tank or external, but I do know that gas is a great coolant and the stock fuel pump is pretty bullet proof. Plus vapor lock is a bitch. This way you don't have to reinvent the wheel. If you go external you will likely need help (Jagged X or Holz) with fuel pressure, regulators, etc, as it has a huge impact on calibraton. I HIGHLY recommend calling Stacey at Pyrotect (541 678-5531...he is a dude) and having him quote you on a tank. The owner of Pyrotect used to own Fuel Safe before selling it, and now is back in the fuel cell business (non-compete expired) and they are hungry. I took a chance and had them build a 50 gallon tank for my vintage NORRA Mexican 1000 truck and it is a work of art...at half the price of a Harmen or a Fuel Safe. No disrespet, but Jazz fuel cells are pretty much the bottom of the barrel. A RZR 4 is a great platform to build a race rig and getting the cell down low is a blessing. Good luck with the build and see you at the races! :)

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Ya I called pryotect and I was quoted almost 1200 just for a basic cell with no internal pump

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Besides I can't figure out how to get the stock fuel pump in the new fuel cell... I haven't found anyone who can give me a straight answer

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Besides I can't figure out how to get the stock fuel pump in the new fuel cell... I haven't found anyone who can give me a straight answer
Call Jagged X or Holz...but remember that they are businesses and 'sell stuff' to stay in business. Sitting on the phone for an hour with someone who has no plans on patronizing their business(s) is not in their best interest. I am not trying to be a 'male reproductive organ' but think about it if it were you trying to make a buck in this tough economy.

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
I have been willing to buy and support a buisness but seems like not to many people really know what will work and what won't

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
And besides all I need to know is what psi the pump needs to be at and or will a 45 psi pump work with or without a regulator

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Trust me they know...one has built the last two BITD championship winning RZRs and the other the previous 4X. As we said in the 'ole days...high zoot! Both are very busy shops, so they must be doing something right. Why not just order a fuel cell with all hoses, pumps, regulator, fuel filter, etc from one of the the two shops I mentioned? That way you both win...you get a bulletproof system and they actually get to do business with a real live customer? :)

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Lol it was bro just can't get ahold of anyone to follow up with it I have called three times now :)

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
Just order a Y -an fitting before pumps, run both pumps with seperate line and fuel filters then Y them back together after that.
Like this

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000