Mint 400 UTV/DSR1 race update

Dec 20, 2011
The UTV/DSR1 classes will be racing 2 laps, approx 200 miles.
I got a call from Casey at BITD yesterday, he had just finished reviewing the times for the UTV/DSR1 classes from last year. Based on the review only 2 of the UTV/DSR1 vehicles that raced last year would have finished within the time limit, the rest would have timed out and would have been stopped on course, and not been allowed to continue. Casey can not allow UTV/DSR1's to be on course while Trick trucks and class 1's are racing. Casey also mentioned that the entree fee for the UTV/DSR1 classes is reduced to reflect the 2 laps racers verses the 3 and 4 lap racers. Please contact BITD if you have comments or concerns. I am just the messenger. :D

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Disappointing. UTVs clearly still have not gained full respect from Casey. Such a shame. I get the times thing but so what. It's off road racing. What's next, our finish line in V2R is going to be cut short? TTs catch majority of the Utv class there too. The logic confuses me.

racer570

Apr 10, 2012
houston ms
Hey Corey. First, I want to say, thank you for talking to Casey about getting the utv's some more miles in these races. We drive 24hr's one way to race BITD, and would love to have a little more seat time. Second, we are disappointed that the laps have been reduced, but understand that there is only so many hours in a day, to put the race on. I do have one question. What is the time limit on the race for the utv's? I checked last years top five runners, and they were at about 2 1/2 hours per lap. Again, thanks, and see yall at the mint.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
lol to casey Were to slow for parker 250 cant keep up with your fast lets say 5 brandon would of finished around 5hr and 20-30min. would of been in top 10 overall still to slow. But wait a minute he use our fastest time for silver state and V2R. But uses our slowest time for mint400.what about henderson he uses our slow or fast time which one is it.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
My comment in no way is to sell out Cory. I too appreciate all he does. My frustration is with how this class seems to be back burned despite how much growth, attention and money we are all funneling into the series and sport in general.

Dec 20, 2011
Joey I am sure that "respect" has nothing to do with Casey's decision. I know that Casey respects all off road racers equally! Anyone that has spent time with Casey knows that. I strongly believe that the two factors that are driving his decision are safety and finishing rates. Casey did ask all the UTV/DSR1 finishers at the Parker race if 2 laps of Parker was good, and all agreed 2 was enough.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
so i spoke to casey yesterday and cory is right everyone at parker 250 that fifshed said they were satisfied and got there money worth. there was no reason to do anymore miles. plus he personally spoke to our manufacter reps brandon polaris cory can am and steve from john deere and all our reps said they were getting enough miles at every event so there is no reason to push issue.
The other issue i asked about was start times ex silver state and V2R. why the cars get released so early now. he said times were based off slow guys so everyone with out issues wont get caught.V2R we got caught we ran 4th or 5th.and silver state i believe same issue.
I asked if utv/bikes/quads could start earlier so we could get more racing miles in ex parker 250/henderson make everyone use lights for firsts couple hours. Was told bitd officials cant get on blm land that early.
So joey to get more mile i think manufacters need to step up and speak up.

Dec 20, 2011
The race format is; There are 2 races the first is for all the limited cars. Race #1 starts at 6am and ends at 3pm. Race #2 is TT and Class 1 it starts at approx 1pm. I am not sure when it ends. The UTV/DSR1 classes are the second to last class to start in race 1. The 1800 class starts behind us. All classes start 2 at a time.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
so i spoke to casey yesterday and cory is right everyone at parker 250 that fifshed said they were satisfied and got there money worth. there was no reason to do anymore miles. plus he personally spoke to our manufacter reps brandon polaris cory can am and steve from john deere and all our reps said they were getting enough miles at every event so there is no reason to push issue.
The other issue i asked about was start times ex silver state and V2R. why the cars get released so early now. he said times were based off slow guys so everyone with out issues wont get caught.V2R we got caught we ran 4th or 5th.and silver state i believe same issue.
I asked if utv/bikes/quads could start earlier so we could get more racing miles in ex parker 250/henderson make everyone use lights for firsts couple hours. Was told bitd officials cant get on blm land that early.
So joey to get more mile i think manufacters need to step up and speak up.
Interesting.....

Dec 20, 2011
Hey Rito I'm not sure if I understand your post. Just to clairifi, I have had many conversations with Casey requesting that the pro UTV class race the full course mileage at Parker, Mint and Henderson.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I guess if everyone is ok with it then I have no issue. However, all I have heard for the past year is how everyone wants to run a full Mint 400, or how everyone wants more laps at Parker, etc etc. I do think the GP style set up at Henderson is completely FLAWED but again I have no dog in the fight.

I guess my point is, I still feel like UTVs are treated as a side show to Casey's "REAL RACE" which is the Unlimited, and despite our growing speeds and car count we have no pull in how or where we are lined up to race.

I also think that its a shame that the top guys get dinged on how much they can race because the slower guys in the class don't run in the tops of the lap times. I don't know? I have been watching these races for so long and reality is despite our growth internally in regards to the class, externally with the series we are still the same ol' UTV class that was started back in 2006 or 07 whenever it was.

I hope you guys understand my frustration is not with anyone in particular, I like and appreciate what Casey does and he has a difficult job I just think that the series should be helping us grow, not containing us into some small little bubble. Maybe I think we are better than we are? Either way, our team will be in FULL FORCE at the Mint!

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
I am bummed to hear we are running 2 laps, I truly believe it changes the race dynamics. When u add an extra 100 miles to a race it evens the field out a bit in my opinion and also like it's been said already we are a growing field and I believe we have some of the most support and money from companies, being put into the series with all the manufactures stepping up... When u look at the fact that there were 33 entries at Parker that is a very big class of utv's and with the speeds that the top runners are going I would imagine we would have a better chance at running more miles....

As for people saying they feel like they got enough miles I know that Casey asked us at the end of Parker if we were happy with the amount miles and of course we said ya but then again if you ask people at the end of any race that they finish and are happy that they made it to the finish line of course they will day they are happy...

Either way we are happy to just be out there racing but it would be nice to at least run the same amount as some of the other limited classes that have just as much money and time invested as the 1900 class..

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Hey Rito I'm not sure if I understand your post. Just to clairifi, I have had many conversations with Casey requesting that the pro UTV class race the full course mileage at Parker, Mint and Henderson.
what casey said to me almost exact wording was , i asked everyone at end of race did you have fun and did you get your money worth. he said everyone that finished said yes.then he said each rep from each manufacter were spoken too. he said brandon from polaris cory from can am and steve from john deere that he spoke to those three personally and all agreed what he was doing was fine on all races there were no concerns on mileage. That i need to not e-mail casey to e-mail cory. and casey was taking the time out of his day to call me and was not happy i was not registered for parker.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Please contact BITD if you have comments or concerns. I am just the messenger. :D[/QUOTE] he was not happy i contacted him he told me to call you, you are the rep. trust me it was more of being talked down too then having a conversation. So again the manufacters have to step up to get more mileage not the racers.

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
I don't think any person at the end of a race when they just finished is going to shrug their shoulders and say welllllll it was ok I could have used more miles when they are in the middle of celebrating a finish and happy to be there

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
My frustration is with how this class seems to be back burned despite how much growth, attention and money we are all funneling into the series and sport in general.
I guess my point is, I still feel like UTVs are treated as a side show to Casey's "REAL RACE" which is the Unlimited, and despite our growing speeds and car count we have no pull in how or where we are lined up to race.
Joey you are 100% spot on and Casey is treating the UTV classes as a Sportsmen or Side Show Class. I think Casey has a great series and have run it & won a Championship in BITD myself. But in no way can I support Casey's decision with how he is running the UTV class.

IMO all UTV's should pull out of BITD and collectively speak with Score or Snore. Both are good series and I will guarantee you will see more respect as a class in one of those two series. We already know Score treats the UTV's as just anther 4 wheel class, which is all the UTV guys want.
This would send a huge message to Casey. It would also cause Polaris who has supported BITD to reconsider sponsoring BITD if no one is showing up. If Casey see's the money going away, he will fix it.

Joey I am sure that "respect" has nothing to do with Casey's decision. I know that Casey respects all off road racers equally! Anyone that has spent time with Casey knows that. I strongly believe that the two factors that are driving his decision are safety and finishing rates. Casey did ask all the UTV/DSR1 finishers at the Parker race if 2 laps of Parker was good, and all agreed 2 was enough.
I would have to disagree with your statement that Casey's 2 biggest factors are Safety or Finishing rates. For one if Safety was such a big concern then why would you ever start a 4 wheel vehicle in a Motorcycle class? Why would the UTV's be one of the last classes off the line prior to the TT & Unlimited cars going off the line? For "Safety" the 4 wheeled UTV classes should start (line up by speed vs other classes) in the 4 wheeled class. Bottom line no Bull Sh!t Casey excuses! So a Class 11 is OK in 4 wheel class, but the faster UTV is not?

Two why would Casey be concerned with finishing rates? He should only be concerned if the class is concerned and approaches him. Or if enough of the class is braking down on the course, which is then taking considerable time for the retrieval / rescue crew to support the UTV class.

casey personally spoke to our manufacter reps brandon polaris cory can am and steve from john deere and all our reps said they were getting enough miles at every event so there is no reason to push issue.
If the class reps had not contacted you the racer individually, I would be pissed that they spoke on my behalf! Reps are there to be a sound board for both sides. But they should never determine the classes future without getting the racers involved. They are your spokes person. Not your boss!

Start times would not be an issue if the UTV class started with the 4 wheel vehicle class! Once again that would be much safer, right? I bet you if Casey asked all the TT, Class1, Class 10, 6100, 7100 and so on they would all agree that having the UTV's start behind them is safer.

The fact is the racers need to make a stand. If your not happy with what the Race Series is offering, then I say its time to look for another Race Series. If you are adamant about racing in the NV area, then SNORE might be your answer. They race much of the same course BITD does and do not charge half of what BITD does. Plus they have the Rage @ the River which is a bitchen short sprint race. If a mix of State & Baja is the answer then Score. Maybe a mix of both Score & Snore?

I have always had a hard time advertizing to my sponsors, & potential sponsors that I am racing a particular event (example; Mint 400) yet I am really only racing 200 miles. Sorry guys you are not racing the Mint 400! Back when the Mint was something the slow guys did not race half a race and get credit for a full race. I dont think the manufactures should be advertizing that their machines or teams are also racing & finishing a race like the Mint 400 if their classes are not racing the advertized mileage. To me that is fraud!

Joey you are going to film the Mint 200 right!

As much as I love the UTV class, if I was in a position to build & race a new car I would have a hard time building a UTV right now. To me racing BITD is unsafe as long as your starting in front of the TT's. To me this is also what gives the UTV class a bad name on places like RDC. This is what keeps you guys as a "Side Show" or "Golf Cart class". And I'm not going to invest the amount of money & time you have to, too race 1/2 a race. Desert racing is an endurance race. Not always does the fastest guy win. That is part of what makes desert racing so special. Your racing each other, but your racing the clock & the elements.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
forgot to say casey also said about finishing was. people come from all over,to race these events and they deserve a start and finish pin from race they just finished. that was other reason shorten too.to have better finishing rate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000