All UTV's lets talk about anti roll bars

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
lets talk about the benefits and downfalls with anti-roll bars.

how they act in what terrain?

for front, rear, or both?

different styles or manufacturers and home made models.

how to figure out what strength bar to use?

length of connecting arms, and their affect on stiffness

and any other tips and tricks.

i have a home made one for the rear of my RZR and it is very stiff. but i liked the feel of the car with it installed.

want to know more before i make or buy a new one and do i need one in the front also?

KJSmith84

Banned Por Vida
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere up my own ...
for dunes i like it off- but I bet for the track its a must.

also with that much power you might be more stable with them.

I also do feel alittle more side to side when bombing down olds

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
hrt cars use the stock sway bar, has never broke and works great. (rear only)

others have aftermarket bars that are adjustable.

I too like the sway bar off at glamis, but hard desert turning, I like it on alot better. keeps car planted better IMO

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
From what I gather and see is the racers both short course and desert prefer them where us play car guys like to not have them due to the added articulation and the increased sliding! I like my rhino like I like my women....a little LOOSE in the rear!

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
i guess i am different than most for play. i like to slide the rear of my car around and do doughnuts without ending up on my side. thats why i dont like the Doonz front tires, too much bite and i will be on my lid more than i want to.

andyallday

Oct 20, 2009
I preffer the sway bar even in the dunes. The factory RZR sway bar is pretty soft though. It could use to be a little stiffer.

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
Rear bars actually make the rear looser, and the front bite better by keeping the front wheels planted better. If you let the car roll onto the back outer wheel it will have more rear bite and front push, so softer or no sway bar in the rear = more rear traction and front push. Some of that can be controlled with valving and other things.

For desert racing you need to go fast straight over nasty terrain and maybe tuirn every now and again, so a big squishy suspension is the ticket with enough high speed to catch the big square edge hits. There are no big square edge bumps on the short tracks like LOORS stuff so firm to hard suspension works very well.

Front sway bars will make a dirt vehicle push more.

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
The adjustable ones like on the XMF built cars have adjustments to set how soon the bar actually comes into play. You can adjust body roll by moving some bolts, so you can get a little more lean or less lean before it hits the bar. They dont adjust the firmness of the bar, just when it comes into play. You can adjust some for a wet track that way.

nictac1

Perris #1 - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 21, 2009
Menifee!
Good stuff!
I keep mine on, tried it off, too much movement in the front end.
Picture trophy trucks in first turn @ baja, inside front tire lifts way up.......thats how I felt!!

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
I always liked mine with it on better. I had to take it off when I made my custom exhaust and it interfered with the bar, and I really missed it. I had no sway bar at my only short course race with the car, and it sucked. Im going to try the stock bar next time, and see how it goes, and then look into XMF and iTi.

Anybody know what the XMF setup goes for??

Scott@XMF

XMF Pit Slave - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 23, 2009
Phx
Our race sway bar kit that we use on the pro utvs runs $495.00 Give me a call if you have any questions. The kit does have ajustment to load the car from left to right which allows you to set up the car for a majority of the the corners or let say there were a couple of really tight right handers you could set the car up to favor those corners although most of the time you would run it straight up we have tuned the cars to be faster in certain corners The adjuster also allows you to ajust when the sway bar come in to allow you to control how much body rool you want or need. Hope that helps

Thanks Scott

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Our race sway bar kit that we use on the pro utvs runs $495.00 Give me a call if you have any questions. The kit does have ajustment to load the car from left to right which allows you to set up the car for a majority of the the corners or let say there were a couple of really tight right handers you could set the car up to favor those corners although most of the time you would run it straight up we have tuned the cars to be faster in certain corners The adjuster also allows you to ajust when the sway bar come in to allow you to control how much body rool you want or need. Hope that helps

Thanks Scott
Wow, thats sounds really cool. So do you just run a rear bar then? Sounds like a XMF bar is the ticket for me.

RZRS EDGE RACING

Sharp As A RZR - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 23, 2009
Arizona
We really like ours run back only, ITP makes pretty nice set up. we had to beef up the himes to the rear arm seemed to snap a few :eek:

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
If you want to do your own custom sway bar look into Speedway Engineering for those parts. They are very reasonable on price. ;)

i have a catalog from them and have been looking into building my own. the problem is knowing where to place it and what spring rate to buy and where to mount the links.

i heard there is a roundy round guy here in Phx that will setup all the parts you need and tell you where to mount them in the neighborhood of $300. just have to find this guy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000