"La Familia" 1st Annual John Berry Memorial Ride President’s Weekend

Dexter

UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 5, 2011
Hesperia California
Uploading NOW! Cisco or Dan did you find a Wheel Chalk were is was parked? Was one of the last things I was going to do and remembered at the off-ramp:eek::rolleyes::eek:

The BAND ROCKED and helped make this one of the best camp trips ever! You guys were fantastic given the amount of practice and so much fun!

Dave thanks for bringing Will again Brayden has not shut up about all the fun they had!

One of the largest and smoothest rides we have done, I want to thank all my helpers/radio rigs and all the drivers for doing such a great job!

We had some great night rides and awesome day rides! Went from the Bat caves and Tomcav's new XP4-900 to some cool new trails on Monday before pulling out! Home by 2:00pm is way cool! ;)
I found your wheel chalk right before we left. We grabbed it and put it in our storage compartment. We'll take good care of it until next ride :D

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Bill (just left of the red ball cap )had just received two flags that had flown over the capital from Raul. One will be sent to Johns family and the other will be flown in camp on the future rides ,

onerich

Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Some of the great peeps of La Family(we miss you John )
J&M

Cisco &Vickie

Cisco and PB found a large rabbit called EL Nocho cousin to the jackalope. :D

The Glares family

Lunch time a hotel California

onerich

Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Had great time glad to see every body, I wish we had one more with us on the ride, but I know he is always with us in our hearts and on our rides in spirit , Miss you John.

Rich .

Last edited:

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Saturday's ride video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1rvWG1rGHY&feature=player_detailpage"]John Berry Little Rubicon Memorial Ride 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
Some people didn't do too well with the posted directions and missed the right turn on the road and ended UP on an UTV trail:(

Hey Kyle, nice meeting ya and chatting. Your right I think we did get stuck in the same location made the same wrong turn. Jane and I did not understand the directions either. I lost my plumbing at the first turn, burn, and I was not going to try the turn at the “bushâ€, too tight, twisted, and steep, dented my bed rail trying to get out of middle of the desert.

Few words of friendly advice to those providing directions for next year to help prevent damage and getting stuck…. I would never advise anyone that has not been here before to try this at night, especially if you have low plumbing and bed rail clearance. Glad I got tired @ 12:30am went to bed waited for daylight been worse. I’d say for rigs over 65 take them down to drop 30, even then there is a tight squeeze, huge hole one side, bush other side, right past by the bush fork turn(Ernesto showed it to me) if you miss at night will cause severe damage not to mention debris, glass, etc, I kicked out of my way. The drop 30 turn up to the canal on the side closest to the Salt Sea is better to keep from twisting and bottoming out in back not the one you advised PB. I still got close there to bed rails, been much worse other side. Snob hill I hit bottom almost bed rails, hard to turn around get in and out without twisting.

This is where it be nice to have a RV coordinator someone that has been to these places and has pulled everything from a 5X8 bumper tow to 48+’ fifth wheel like I have. A map is worth 1000 words noting take caution landmarks like burms, bushes, holes, turns some rigs can consider, others should not. Don’t rely on cell phones I tried PB and George several times Saturday AM no answer and service can be an issue, also some don’t have radios, good map is key. I can do maps in Power Point very fast and I’d do it, but I have never been to a lot of these places. Probably the best advice outside of what google earth does not capture in places like this is to stop at the paved road in daytime get out your UTV go look since every ones rig is different.

Well whole thing has me looking at ways to bring my plumbing up been talking to Forest River this morning as I repair the damage, and a flat bed when I can afford it, but still very nasty uneven terrain and debris.

Thanks so much for help Frank and Ernesto’s family.

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
I have only posted 1% of the pictures!

Terry you did not follow my directions at all, first I stayed up until almost one waiting for a call, ask itstoolate he called after 11:00pm and I went out to the road and brought him in! Whoever posts the rides is responsible for the directions, that has always been the way we have done it! If you look at the Map on the thread I posted it shows co-ordnance at the bottom and the BLUE LINE shows going to Drop #30, and George's directions were right on "GO 3/4 of a mile and turn over the canal"! Not turn up at the tree;)

"Terry,
Here are the Turn by Turn directions:D

South on the 86S
Turn left on 66th Ave (Mecca Arco AM/PM)
Turn right (South) onto the 111
Go 8.75 miles and turn left on Bay Dr.
Go up over RR Tracks and follow Bay Dr. around to Dead End and turn left onto 72nd Ave.
You will go through an open area for 3/4 mile and turn left on Windlass Dr.
Turn right on Compass Dr.
Turn right back onto 72nd Ave.
Go 1/2 mile, Road will turn to dirt and turn right at canal.
Go 3/4 mile turn left and cross over canal at Drop 30
Turn left on East-side of canal up onto Canal Rd and go North 1 mile to Camp (Drop 31):D

These directions are the Blue Line on Papa's map.

Open it up on Google Earth and zoom in on the area and my jibberish will make much more sense!"

You should have called and I would have met you at the road! You're a Arospace Engineer after all and figured you would ask if you needed help, so when I saw you I asked Cisco and Enesto to pull out of line and help you over to Drop#31! Sorry if you had a tough time!
PB, not sure what your talking about, Kyle and I did follow your directions and did not go up the bush turn. There was a fork in the road at the bush turn the directions did not denote. We took the path that was closet to the canal which was wrong, if you took the right path it looked like you head out to the desert. The “¾†need more definition, especially at night. As I said I tried to call you and George at least 3x’s Saturday morning around 8:30 no answer. I actually tried to call when I was at the fork and did not know which way to go.

Here is a map and better directions for next year, please keep in your file. That way if you or whomever can’t be reached, they have good directions. Even if you had guided me in at night I probably would have ripped out my plumbing if I did not take a day UTV ride myself, some rigs you don’t know or can’t advise if you have not driven them. As I said best advice for big rigs is go look for yourselves and the map will help point out the issues.

Turn on Bay Dr.
Go up over RR Tracks and follow Bay Dr. around to Dead End and turn left onto 72nd Ave.
You will go through an open area for 3/4 mile and turn left on Windlass Dr.
Turn right on Compass Dr.
Turn right back onto 72nd Ave.
Go 1/2 mile, Road will turn to dirt….

Disclaimer: Large rigs beware uneven steep grades, debris, large pot holes, shrubs, take extreme caution. Large rigs take your UTV first.

See map and reset odometer: Go straight on dirt road (paved road curves to right) turn right at canal(you will be below the upper canal road).
Follow this road the first curve to the left has a large berm denoted on map in red if you have low plumbing or bed rail height stay to the far right close as possible to the bush take extreme caution. The second berm to left has a land mark bush smaller RV’s might consider. After it there is a fork in the road, stay to the right(DO NOT STAY ON THE UTV TRAIL TO LEFT CLOSE TO THE CANAL MARKED IN RED).

At about 3/4 mile mark turn left and cross over canal at Drop 30(bigger rigs DO NOT cross the canal take the first left turn heading north). Go 1 mile to Camp (Drop 31) bigger rigs cross the canal head to flats not up snob hill.

I use Power Point has a drawing toolbar that is easy to use, I take a screen shot then over to photobucket, etc…..

So far $300 in plumbing damage and I have not got to the dent….Just trying to help out future campers not attack anyone don’t take it personal.

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
Thats the best road I shown for big rigs...best advice is to take out the scout car NEVER try it at night.....Other rides(hammer, S-22, Glamis, Frazier, I been too) that advice is not needed. :D

Again, goggle earth does not show grade, debri, pot holes, etc....not my version anyway. :D

Even you said people that have been there before get lost, guess Kyle and I are not the only cry baby dumb dumbs!

onerich

Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Bill/Grumpy with John's cash after every body signed the book in side.

Johns cash put back to bed till the next ride.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000