Hypothetical Teryx motor question.....

howyadoin

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Aug 24, 2010
Hell, AZ
OK, lets say that "hypothetically" you grenaded your Teryx motor this morning:eek:....who would you recommend as an engine builder somewhere on the west coast to put it back together...probably bigger and better?:D It's a "family oriented" rig, so need driveability for the wife...but more power is NEVER a bad thing.;) I don't want to spend a ton of cash on it obviously as there are plans for a new unit in the very near future, but will probably keep it as well, so want to make sure it's going to be reliable in the future. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Mike

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
Weller is the closest, and has lots of expirence with Teryx motors. An mild 840 will live a long time, and has a great amount of power.

Good luck!
G-

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Another Benchmark here, Chris is very good!

Weller would be a close second.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Having spent over 8 months getting my motor built, here is my .02
Dasa is good but takes way too long to get anything done. His heads are CNC and bar none the best I have ever seen. Weller used a mic feeler and said the ports were within 1mm everywhere he could fit the gague. I went +4mm on all four valves. I like Chris at benchmark and personally used weller for my final build. If it is a family rig, go with a good 840 and call it good.

My vote:
Weller and Benchmark. Weller is first because they are local and fast. When my motor broke a titanium spring retainer at the Parker 250 Jason had all the parts in stock to fix it and he did not charge me a dime. He went from 800 to 840 since I had to swap out one cylnder, rebuilt one head that had dropped the valve, built the motor, dyno time, etc and charged me nothing. When was the last time a motor builder stood behind their work like that when it was obviously a broken spring retainer that dropped a valve? He boxed up all the broken parts and sent them to the company that makes the spring retainers because they did not believe the damage caused by the broken retainer. Jason also has a secret to building the motor that I could not tell DASA. I will say that my weller 800 made almost 10 more hp than the DASA 840 kit on the DASA dyno when they built the exhuast. I did not tell the secret to DASA and I will not here. Just trust me, it works.

Last edited:

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
chad and keenan at madhouse motorsports have kawi experience and are great guys and are vendors here ...enough said

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Having spent over 8 months getting my motor built, here is my .02
Dasa is good but takes way too long to get anything done. His heads are CNC and bar none the best I have ever seen. Weller used a mic feeler and said the ports were within 1mm everywhere he could fit the gague. I went +4mm on all four valves. I like Chris at benchmark and personally used weller for my final build. If it is a family rig, go with a good 840 and call it good. Rob Muzzy may be good but I can tell you by experience that his reps that answer the phone are the worst in the world. I called twice with credit card in hand trying to buy the 916 kit and I got my butt chewed for over 30 min by some guy named Kurt because my heads were +4 valves and "Mr. Muzzy" does not go that big. He chewed me so long I had to go. I called back a week later, with credit card in hand to try again, got "Kurt" again and got another butt chewing before he told me they were sold out of all the parts for at least 8 weeks. It may be a nice kit but do you want to wait over 8 weeks if you need replacement parts? Do you have the time to sit and get your but chewed off because you have a polaris? If you call, I have been told to speak directly to Rob or hang up. I would agree.

My vote:
Weller and Benchmark. Weller is first because they are local and fast. When my motor broke a titanium spring retainer at the Parker 250 Jason had all the parts in stock to fix it and he did not charge me a dime. He went from 800 to 840 since I had to swap out one cylnder, rebuilt one head that had dropped the valve, built the motor, dyno time, etc and charged me nothing. When was the last time a motor builder stood behind their work like that when it was obviously a broken spring retainer that dropped a valve? He boxed up all the broken parts and sent them to the company that makes the spring retainers because they did not believe the damage caused by the broken retainer. Jason also has a secret to building the motor that I could not tell DASA. I will say that my weller 800 made almost 10 more hp than the DASA 840 kit on the DASA dyno when they built the exhuast. I did not tell the secret to DASA and I will not here. Just trust me, it works.
that is easy to understand, DASA is overrated IMO. and for those naysayers, Chris has tuned a couple DASA Kawis for the better. How many rhinos run with 840's and 916's???? One that I know of! benchmark power. :D

Grant@funco

Monster Energy / Funco Kawasaki - UTVUnderground A
Feb 8, 2009
Califorinia
It's funny that nobody mentioned Gary at C&G performance.

He knows how to make power and reliably . Good enough for a few LUCAS OIL CHAMPIONSHIPS...

Weller,Muzzy and Benchmark are all good as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000