Fuel cell question

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
Ok guys dont hammer me as i know next to nothing about RACING .My question is i know we are putting the high dollar ATL fuel cells in our full race rigs but my personal car is a play / maybe hit a race or two a year fun car. Can i run a standard jazz steel tank with poly bladder or even a custom all aluminum tank ? thanks guys

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
Yea I would think the jaz cells are sufficient for passing tech. Building your own is all good for playing but you will not be able to run it unless you have a bladder made for it by harmon or fuel safe. Also if you build your own aluminum one I would recommend running divider walls to keep the fuel from sloshing around or just throw foam in it. Anyways hope that helps.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Here is what the requirements for BITD are. There are several companies out there that build fuel cell bladders that you can build your own outer metal cell. But it needs to be within these rules.

SCR22: Fuel tanks
Required:
Safety fuel cells must be utilized and are required for all vehicles. Stock fuel tanks must be removed
completely. Alternative fuels (propane or natural gas) must use an approved fuel cell as determined by
DOT standards and with the approval of Best in the Desert Racing Association. Alternative fueled
vehicles may not use auxiliary fuel cells. All fuel tanks must be securely mounted. Fuel tank must be
filled from and vented to the outside of the vehicle. There must be a substantial cross member and
firewall between the fuel tank and the occupants.
Safety fuel cells shall consist of a bladder enclosed in a smooth skinned container. The container shall
be constructed of 20ga. steel, 0.060-inch aluminum or 0.125-inch marlex. Magnesium is strictly
prohibited. Container must be securely attached to vehicles with bolts or steel straps. All fittings must
be built into the skin and bonded to the skin as an integral part of the tank or mechanically sealed by a
ring and counter ring system by either flat joint or an “O” ring. Internal baffling is mandatory in all fuel
cells. Bladder construction shall be of nylon or Dacron woven fabric impregnated and coated with a
fuel resistant elastomer. Rotary molded polymer cells are acceptable. The physical properties minimum
standards are in accordance with the following table
Test Type - Minimum Standard
Test Specification
Tensile Strength - 450 lbs.
Spec CCC-T-1916 Method 5102
Tear Strength - 50 lbs.
Spec CC-T-1916 Method 5134
Puncture Test - 175 lbs.
Spec MIL-T-6396 Article 4.5.17
These physical properties must be maintained throughout all areas of the finished bladder including
seams, joints and fittings.
Restricted:
Auxiliary fuel tanks besides the one required safety fuel cells are not allowed.
No GI-cans or fuel containers similar in construction or purpose will be permitted in or on any vehicle
during the race. Use of GI-cans or other fuel containers will subject entrant to disqualification.
SCR23: Fuel Filler, Vents & Caps
Required:
Fuel filler lines and positive-locking non-vented fuel filler caps must be located and secured in such a
manner as to prevent being knocked off or open during movement, rollover or accidental impact.
Design and installation must be in such a manner to prevent fuel escaping from pickups, lines,
fillers and breather vents if vehicle is partially or totally inverted. Fuel breather lines must have a
rollover check valve incorporated in the fuel cell. The vent line must extend to the highest point of
the rollcage nearest the fuel cell, across the width of the vehicle, and down to below the belly pan of the
vehicle or 3 inches below the fuel cell, whichever is lower.
OPTIONAL PLACEMENT: The vent line may be wrapped one full loop around the outside of the fuel
cell near the top of the fuel cell and then down below the vehicle 3 inches below the lowest point of the
fuel cell. Where the vent line attaches to the fuel cell there must be a loop above the fuel cell that
extends 4 inches higher than the top of the fuel cell. The breather line must be vented outside of
driver’s compartment and be directed away from the engine and exhaust system.
All fuel fillers attached to the frame or body panel must use a flexible coupling to the tank. All fuel
fillers must be surrounded by a boot or splashguard (body panel is acceptable as a splashguard if
sealed). Boot or splashguard must direct fuel spillage to outside of vehicle and away from driver’s
compartment, engine and exhaust. A fuel filler rollover-check-valve must be incorporated into all fuel
cells.
Restricted:
Monza/flip-type caps are strictly forbidden.
Recommended:
It is highly recommended that all detachable fuel filler caps have a flexible strap or chain attached
between it and the frame of the vehicle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000