All UTV's DIRT-HELMET-SxS advice. . . . .

South Bay 4 Life

California
Dec 5, 2011
Torrance
Lookin for some feedback here:

I'm headed to Cal City this weekend with the Rhino. I usually only ride Glamis but want to try dirt. Its gonna be a fast paced ride from Cal City to Jawbone (30 miles each way.) My wife is my co-pilot.

I'm curious as to how many of you guys wear helmets/neck rolls on dirt. Im not concerned about flying out of the car or hitting our heads; it's the whiplash if we crash!

Whats the concensus?
Feedback?
Smart?
Paranoid?

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
i always wear my helmet (dirt bike style) but haven't used a neck roll but might after rolling in glamis my neck was a bit sore.

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
We do that ride all the time. Its a very fast road to Jawbone, your foot will be on the floor most of the time....Its a blast!!!...If you crash you will wish you were wearing helmets.
Another thing you won't be use to is dust...Lots and Lot of dust espesially if your riding with a large group, Sun glasses don't work.
Your Rhino will be a different kind of beast on the hard pak.....You thought is was fast in the sand, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Dress for the crash not the ride.

RIVERBRAT

Feb 20, 2012
Lake Havasu City
The last ride I went on I was dusted out so bad that I will wear a helmet (my dirt bike one) and goggles for sure next time! Not only for the dust but the safety factor as well! The dust is still going to get to you but I don't think it will be as bad. You might even try a bandana around your face and then your helmet & goggles. Have fun!

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Great feedback! Thanks. Yeah I'm hoping to get this beast up to 70+mph this weekend! I'll prep for the dust too!

Helmets - Check
4/5 point harness - Check
Fire Extinguisher - Check
Tow Rope - Check
Water - Check
Dust Mask/Bandana - Check
Friends of Jawbone Canyon Map - Check

I doubt if you are not the lead car that you'll see 70 mph. Plus the landscape goes by to fast to enjoy at that speed IMHO.

You can get the maps at the ranger station. They will show you all the trails and where you'll get cell phone connections.

My son and I stayed at the KOA at Isabella and rode to Jawbone Station and back in one day ~120mi round trip.

We always wear a helmet. Be concerned about hitting your head on the ground, it happens and is real.

Never compromise on safety, you could ask our very safety conscious friend, John Berry, but unfortunately he let his guard down 200ft from camp just showing his new LED's on his new XP when he and a friend didn't put on their seat belts and it cost him his life.

Safety is serious business.

Ride safe and most of all have fun.

Rocketman...:)

South Bay 4 Life

California
Dec 5, 2011
Torrance
Damn Rocket, you know how to scare the reality into a man. Point taken! None the less, I have those contingencies considered except for the fire extinguisher. We're hittin Lacern Valley next weekend so I'll try to grab one by then.

Thank you for the heads up.

P.S: That Isabella to Jawbone ride sounds like a blast!

rhinoadick

Mar 1, 2010
We had run skateboard helmets with goggles,and hanker-chief, but you end up eating alot of dirt.I finished my parker pumper set up yesterday.Cant wait to use it!We just got full face HJC ported & wired helmets .$279.00 each.I sold it to the wife and she bit..whatle ya know..She does have asthma,so it was kind of an easy sell.I would like to to do a ride like this soon.

South Bay 4 Life

California
Dec 5, 2011
Torrance
Helmets?
Just got back from Cal City. I rode both with and without a helmet this weekend.

The Pros: obviously safety from side-head impacts and whiplash (wore a neck-roll.)
The Cons: no music, no communication, motor was loud as hell!

We'll see how this weekend goes in Silverwood Lake!

South Bay 4 Life

California
Dec 5, 2011
Torrance
Lots of torque. Very happy with it. But the Bronco clutch and dual Muzzys are so loud! I was missing my headsets within a mile! LoL

Worth the power though!

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
I thought about that and checked out Rugged Radio's helmet kit. Seems like the motor and exhaust would still be too loud for that kit though.
Our new helmet kits that we carry now have the clear hear audio speakers and the dynamic noise-canceling S9 microphone. I took the new helmet kit out a couple weekends back on my dirt bike and I'm still blown away about how loud and clear they are!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000