Yamaha Calling all old rhino mechanics

jlbierig450r

Mar 26, 2010
Oklahoma
Have a few questions for the guys that have had the exhaust studs break off in the head. I have a real mess on my hands now and probably have to remove the head to work on these bolts. (yea tried to drill it out while still on the engine) DOH

Has anyone heli coiled these studs? How deep can you drill don't want to get into the water jacket. Can you do this on the machine? Thanks for the help guys.

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Have a few questions for the guys that have had the exhaust studs break off in the head. I have a real mess on my hands now and probably have to remove the head to work on these bolts. (yea tried to drill it out while still on the engine) DOH

Has anyone heli coiled these studs? How deep can you drill don't want to get into the water jacket. Can you do this on the machine? Thanks for the help guys.
I have heard heat them up(maybe with a torch) if you need to take them out , but I think your passed that Good luck

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
we were always able to use an ez out with the head still attached. lots of times till i just started snugging them tight and using a second nut to lock in place. and a chain from the valve cover to the frame to limit engine flex.

philofab

Golf Cart Destroyer
Sep 27, 2011
Laughlin Adjecant
In the future I've always had good lust welding a little bit of stainless to the stud (if it's not to deep) and work it out while still warm. I normally TIG it but I have had Mig work too.

The aluminum expands as it sucks the heat out of steel. It's gotten me out of some jams.

jlbierig450r

Mar 26, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks for the update guys. I ended up putting a helicoil on the stud and seems to be holding so far. I tried welding a nut to the broke off stud with no luck. It was broke off to deep. So had a good pilot for the bit on the helicoil. Worked out and seems to be working fine. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000