Building XP1K by Holz Racing Products

HOLZ

HOLZ Racing - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 30, 2009
www.holzracingproducts.com
When UTVUnderground delivered the 2 XP1000's to us back in March no one had ever seen them. Because these were early pre production models we were essentially given rolling chassis. It was so early in the game for this machine that the plastic design wasn't finalized so these cars didn't even have them originally. After a few discussions and some renderings being developed by UTVUnderground and given to us we went to work. The goal was to build 2 full tilt race cars that would be turbo powered. The one thing Joey D. and Mark decided on is that the premise of design would be that mark would be building a 2014 version of RJs championship winning Lucas Oil RZR. Safety was huge knowing the stunts UTVUnderground had planned for RJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Sweet thanks for posting more info about these cars and pics. I was wondering about the turning break. Is the rear end still locked or does it have a differential installed in the rear to help it steer?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HOLZ

Jan 30, 2009
Sweet thanks for posting more info about these cars and pics. I was wondering about the turning break. Is the rear end still locked or does it have a differential installed in the rear to help it steer?

The turning brake controls the front tires because it has a solid rear end. Some drift cars use this to help control their slide.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
The turning brake controls the front tires because it has a solid rear end. Some drift cars use this to help control their slide.
Ah ha that had me real curious thanks for the reply. Does that want to pull the steering wheel hard? I have driven with a front break blocked off and it really wants to pull the wheel. The polaris power steering may help this problem maybe?

HOLZ

Jan 30, 2009
We did not test the cutting brake as Mark only drove it for a short time at Kroyer Racing Engines. So you would have to ask RJ about that. In the video you do not see the steering wheel move.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I put some fast miles on the XP1Ks during filming....

The HandBrake is tricky to get used to. For RJ it's clock work since its the same set up that's in his ProLite. What's hardest to get used to is that for it to work you need to stay in the throttle. In a traditional handbrake set up you get out of the gas, pull the brake, set the slide and jump ball in the throttle. But for these to work you need to remain in the throttle while applying the hand brake. Once you are used to it you can flip turns on a dime! It's bad ass and a ton of fun to drive. Add the 190hp and you have a 2wd rally car with a HandBrake. I say 2wd because you can't use the HandBrake in 4wd.

It works amazing.

In regards to why we went with Holz...

Without a doubt Holz is the leaders in UTV race machines today, especially when talking RZR. Add in that Marks shop is in BFE Washington we knew we would have no issue with outside people seeing and leaking the car. Mark knows how to build strong, light and fast RZRs. He was our first choice when laying out the gameplay for this project back in January. He not only delivered, he completely reset the bar in terms of custom UTV development. These cars are works of art!

superdean

my07rhino
Jun 17, 2009
Hanford, CA
I saw one these cars today while at Walker Evans racing dropping off some shocks. Truly a work of art.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
One for me.. One for RJ.. lol

No, the reason UTVUnderground has 2 cars built stems from a mishap Mad Media and Ken Block had during the filming of Gymkhana 3 at the AutoDome in France. They flew the entire team out to France, set up for a week of filming and on day 1 Ken totalled the GK car.. Everyone had to re-pack and fly home so the car could get re-built then everyone fly back to France and start over again.

So going into XP1K we felt it was best to build 2 RZR's up front so if we hurt one or wrecked one we had a backup. This came into play as we did end up hurting one car or another a couple of times whether it was our one and only belt we lost or on one jump we bent the 2 upper radius rods. We were always able to keep it going.

The other thought it we knew we would want these cars to always be somewhere doing something so now we have the ability to have a car on display one place and another car somewhere else.

Both cars are identical, and work strait up amazing!! They are the sickest UTV's I have ever owned, driven, or seen.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Joey, Mark and RJ:
Someone needs to lower one of these things down...put on some sticky Falken road race tires and go run it up Pike's Peak next year. I will volunteer! :D

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
did you have to run a stand alone ecu or were you able to get stock ecu to work. were you able to use stock clutches or the billet ones. is the motor pumped up or all turbo to get that much horsepower. what cc's is it now.

GOVACHO

Nov 8, 2011
Riverssippi
Nice work there guys... You did one hell of a build...

Joey, I still say lets race when I get the Z1900 back...hehehe:p

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
did you have to run a stand alone ecu or were you able to get stock ecu to work. were you able to use stock clutches or the billet ones. is the motor pumped up or all turbo to get that much horsepower. what cc's is it now.
Click the XP1K button at the top of the forum here or type in XP1K.com. All specs are there.

As for ECU we completely wiped the Stock unit and reprogrammed it from the bottom up. It was the hardest part of the whole project

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000