BITD Class Vote on turbos

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Nice post Johnny...You are so correct! I have told several the same...NOT all is motor!
Talk vs Action. You see Johnny saying NA vs turbo means nothing. But you see he built turbo, right ??? Just sayin'.

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
lol yep and everyday I think to myself would I have won V2R if I raced my old car ? 5th place was not what I was looking for ... I wonder what car ill be racing at the next race ?

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I think Pro racer means you get paid some amount of money from racing or have qualified for a series or race with other recognized pros for example National Championship etc. There isn't anything like that in Desert Racing. The fact that I can even get into the top 10 or top 5 at any point in a race means there aren't very many professional drivers in this series. Think Steve Hevengeld, Larry Roeseler, and Johnny Cambell and if you dominate like that then your pro IMO. Nothing else really matters....if your using the term as it's been used in other similar sports. There are some highly skilled A drivers but not sure about pro. Maybe Marc Burnett but I've never actually seen him drive......he's always been outside the car when I've seen him on the course...:) I'm sorry couldn't resist that was meant as a compliment somehow.

Last edited:

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I think Pro racer means you get paid some amount of money from racing or have qualified for a series or race with other recognized pros for example National Championship etc. There isn't anything like that in Desert Racing. The fact that I can even get into the top 10 or top 5 at any point in a race means there aren't very many professional drivers in this series. Think Steve Hevengeld, Larry Roeseler, and Johnny Cambell and if you dominate like that then your pro IMO. Nothing else really matters....if your using the term as it's been used in other similar sports. There are some highly skilled A drivers but not sure about pro. Maybe Marc Burnett but I've never actually seen him drive......he's always been outside the car when I've seen him on the course...:) I'm sorry couldn't resist that was meant as a compliment somehow.
Oh George...love ya man but quite opening thy mouth... inserting foot. There are quite a few Pros racing BITD..many teams are compensated (including me) by Sponsors.. either in cars,parts or cash or all of the above... and some, Jagged, some partially (Mark B and maybe Holtz) are making a living by driving UTVs..so those in that category are Pros by any standard. And dont belittle some of the talent here..many could and will drive at the next levels no doubt...and do well.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Oh George...love ya man but quite opening thy mouth... inserting foot. There are quite a few Pros racing BITD..many teams are compensated (including me) by Sponsors.. either in cars,parts or cash or all of the above... and some, Jagged, some partially (Mark B and maybe Holtz) are making a living by driving UTVs..so those in that category are Pros by any standard. And dont belittle some of the talent here..many could and will drive at the next levels no doubt...and do well.
I guess I should have said IMO. Lol Well I didn't know these guys were paid to race then that's a pro for sure. Beyond that it's how you define it IMO. Just about everyone gets parts from someone. I wasn't trying to belittle anyone but it is a class that anyone can enter. Other pro classes aren't like that....you can't just show up and race Nascar. Before anyone gets upset I stand corrected there are more pros than I thought including Lansky!

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I guess I should have said IMO. Lol Well I didn't know these guys were paid to race then that's a pro for sure. Beyond that it's how you define it IMO. Just about everyone gets parts from someone. I wasn't trying to belittle anyone but it is a class that anyone can enter. Other pro classes aren't like that....you can't just show up and race Nascar. Before anyone gets upset I stand corrected there are more pros than I thought including Lansky!
well even Lansky has binding contracts with more than just 1 sponsor (Can Am and others) where we are paid to race with thier product.. and receive contingency payments etc based on podiums etc...so the real point you are saying is this isnt a pro class because we dont have to qualify to race...well.. it is because you are compensated (paid) by BITD for a podium or class championship...do you have to qualify to enter pro, well no..but that's desert racing whether BITD or SCORE.. you can enter in Pro classes on a bike.. or race a Trophy truck if you got the resources. True that in most other motor racing you have to quantify and qualify to race as a pro (been down that path as I hold a number of pro licenses to include FIA etc) but its just not the way its done is desert racing...but that doesn't mean that this isn't a compensated (Pro) class with Pro drivers.

Last edited:

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Ok what I really meant was I'm not a pro and haven't quit my day job. However in the current economic environment it's not so hot either. Maybe I'll practice keeping it on 4 wheels and someone will pay me.....like AARP?

Always Watching

Aug 18, 2015
Talk vs Action. You see Johnny saying NA vs turbo means nothing. But you see he built turbo, right ??? Just sayin'.
Factory...sponsored...racers. Not really all that hard to understand the driving force behind that one. He saw a chance and he went for it, smart business whether or not Polaris was behind it or agreed with it, UTV Inc was the talk of the town for 2 weeks before V2R.

And turbo vs NA truly means nothing. It shouldn't be called desert racing, it should be called minimizing parts failures and mistakes throughout the day. That's all it boils down to.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Factory...sponsored...racers. Not really all that hard to understand the driving force behind that one. He saw a chance and he went for it, smart business whether or not Polaris was behind it or agreed with it, UTV Inc was the talk of the town for 2 weeks before V2R.

And turbo vs NA truly means nothing. It shouldn't be called desert racing, it should be called minimizing parts failures and mistakes throughout the day. That's all it boils down to.
I respectfully disagree on the turbo vs NA meaning nothing, especially in a limited class. I can't remember SCORE ever doing it and BITD just started doing it in TT and either 7 or 7200. I cant recall specifically which class it was but Pistol was putting a Ecoboost in his Geiser TT and racing against NA cars. It was all of a sudden allowed because Ford was sponsoring it. TT is pretty much an unlimited class so I get that.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
What do you think the difference in power is between the new Turbo engine and a built Queen Racing engine that is only limited by the displacement I bet the Queen engine is making more horsepower then the stock Turbo engine and there not allowed to change anything.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
What do you think the difference in power is between the new Turbo engine and a built Queen Racing engine that is only limited by the displacement I bet the Queen engine is making more horsepower then the stock Turbo engine and there not allowed to change anything.

Do you think it makes more torque too? Big cams and springs are hard on valve trains.

Always Watching

Aug 18, 2015
I respectfully disagree on the turbo vs NA meaning nothing, especially in a limited class. I can't remember SCORE ever doing it and BITD just started doing it in TT and either 7 or 7200. I cant recall specifically which class it was but Pistol was putting a Ecoboost in his Geiser TT and racing against NA cars. It was all of a sudden allowed because Ford was sponsoring it. TT is pretty much an unlimited class so I get that.
You went on a bit of a tangent, but if both cars make 105hp to the ground, but one gets there faster but it overheats, which one has the advantage? Like I said, desert racing boils down to the least parts failures or mistakes.

Do you think it makes more torque too? Big cams and springs are hard on valve trains.
None of the NA cams are that "big" and the only time you run into valve train issues is when you don't have the spring pressure to control seat bounce. Although, the aftermarket cams are reduced base circle, which makes the ramp rate more aggressive, there are multiple good spring kits to control them.

Last edited:

Always Watching

Aug 18, 2015

None of the NA cars that I have dynoed from any builder have laid down over 100. The stock Turbo cars I have done have been 100-102. DynoJet inertia dyno.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
The turbo engine torque is 105. This is a dyno sheet from a Queen BITD engine. Yeah the turbo engine makes a little more torque but less hp.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
The turbo engine torque is 105. This is a dyno sheet from a Queen BITD engine. Yeah the turbo engine makes a little more torque but less hp.

Trust me its pretty easy to manipulate dyno numbers. But I will say a well built queen motor built will do good but the desert usually is the biggest factor.

Reactions: Queen Racing

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
It was a 7200 truck but if you actually talk to pistol ford gave him nothing for his effort other then an at a boy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000