Any advice on racing

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
Hey guys I have been itching to race my sxs or buy a race sxs. I currently own a rhino with 800 rotax swap in it and mid travel suspension. I guess my first question is how do I get into racing. What type of racing would you guys recommend for a beginner. And should I buy a race sxs or convert my rotaxed rhino into a race car and buy another family rig. Any input positive or negative I would like to hear thanks guys.

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Hi Colton,

I am certain you will oodles of posts to this, just remember advice is easy to give but hard to follow: Here is my two cents:

Before investing lots of money and time to convert or even buy a race rig, consider this....look at the various racing groups in your area, review their race summaries and give their safety requirments a good look.....select a race series that might allow you to simply modify your rig to meet safety requirments but not lose your family use, that has a sportman class or a segmented class by cc's that allows for newbies to run this class for 3-4 races before deciding to be placed into the larger and more competitive classes....
Next contact the series to see which tracks might be best for a sportsman to try out first.......set a goal to finish and not break the car or your mellon........make a family weekend out of it and then, after all this, go have a good time.
Do this a few times, and I suspect you will be better able to answer some or all of the questions you have asked....

just my thoughts.......but advice I was given some time back that has served me well....

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
Hey Steve thanks for the input I really appreciate it I know Lucas and worcs comes my way so maybe I will see if they have a beginner class I can test the water. There is not a whole lot of racing out in Utah yet hopefully it picks up.

Makin' Trax

Got Shocks? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 27, 2009
Hi Colton,

I am certain you will oodles of posts to this, just remember advice is easy to give but hard to follow: Here is my two cents:

Before investing lots of money and time to convert or even buy a race rig, consider this....look at the various racing groups in your area, review their race summaries and give their safety requirments a good look.....select a race series that might allow you to simply modify your rig to meet safety requirments but not lose your family use, that has a sportman class or a segmented class by cc's that allows for newbies to run this class for 3-4 races before deciding to be placed into the larger and more competitive classes....
Next contact the series to see which tracks might be best for a sportsman to try out first.......set a goal to finish and not break the car or your mellon........make a family weekend out of it and then, after all this, go have a good time.
Do this a few times, and I suspect you will be better able to answer some or all of the questions you have asked....

just my thoughts.......but advice I was given some time back that has served me well....
Great Advise!!!

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Colton,

One other item to also consider........if you don't have the technical savy or facility to support the technical and maintenance side of your SxS.......look for a local shop that maybe supports racing, SxS or other.........sit down with them and talk about racing support.....this tends to be the most significant and overlooked aspect from a budget perspective.

Race prep, setup, race teardown, service etc...are key elements to being able to go have fun on weekends. Most don't recognize this until their junk is broke and they are faced with a $2k bill for repairs....in our case we negotiatiated a race support program with a local race shop, they got a chance to start supporting SxS racing, (they are an old school desert class I shop) and I got a special shop rate, acess to technical help and some space to house my car......

lasltly...if a SxS Baja 500 & 1000 winner agrees with or offers advice follow it........he certainly is most qualified to comment

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
Thanks for the advice Steve. I have been looking into it a bit more and found that Lucas off road regionals has its first race may 11th about an hour from where I live so I'm going to try and be ready for it and test the waters on a short course race. Hopefully I can be ready in time.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Colton,

One other item to also consider........if you don't have the technical savy or facility to support the technical and maintenance side of your SxS.......look for a local shop that maybe supports racing, SxS or other.........sit down with them and talk about racing support.....this tends to be the most significant and overlooked aspect from a budget perspective.

Race prep, setup, race teardown, service etc...are key elements to being able to go have fun on weekends. Most don't recognize this until their junk is broke and they are faced with a $2k bill for repairs....in our case we negotiatiated a race support program with a local race shop, they got a chance to start supporting SxS racing, (they are an old school desert class I shop) and I got a special shop rate, acess to technical help and some space to house my car......

lasltly...if a SxS Baja 500 & 1000 winner agrees with or offers advice follow it........he certainly is most qualified to comment
Thanks for the props Steve but you had great advise!
I have been lucky enough to compete in 4 Baja races with 3 wins and 1 dnf as a driver for someone else's team.I got these opportunities because I was very competitive at the local level and proved myself as a driver back when everyone was racing Rhinos.I went to a Whiplash GP race and saw them racing Rhinos and said I can do that.I went home and got a friend to build me a race cage, got some motor work done and started racing in 2008.The rest is history.Go race and have fun!

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Thanks for the advice Steve. I have been looking into it a bit more and found that Lucas off road regionals has its first race may 11th about an hour from where I live so I'm going to try and be ready for it and test the waters on a short course race. Hopefully I can be ready in time.
My good friends, the Daugherty's, run the Utah Lucas Oil Regional races - I know they are always happy to get more racers involved, so reach out to them and let them know what you currently have, and find out what you would need to add to be allowed to race that next race! I'm sure they will work with you! :) The Utah track is pretty fun....you'll want to set up for some big jumps and a big rythm section!

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
My good friends, the Daugherty's, run the Utah Lucas Oil Regional races - I know they are always happy to get more racers involved, so reach out to them and let them know what you currently have, and find out what you would need to add to be allowed to race that next race! I'm sure they will work with you! :) The Utah track is pretty fun....you'll want to set up for some big jumps and a big rythm section!
Ya I actually have been talking to the Daugherty family. They have been awesome to work with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000