all hand tool frankenUTV build

thehandtool

Sep 20, 2012
LA
my project......started as a Polaris Ranger, rolled/cartwheeled down a moutain side 200yrds, drove it home....started tearing it apart a few days later. enjoy!

Attachments

thehandtool

Sep 20, 2012
LA
after getting it all apart, i came to realize the entire front end had sheared off and was twisted, so i cut from the frame and tossed everything. the rear was fine but needed some major repairs, so i cut from the upper arm mounts up off. the two side frame rails and lower section of the rear suspension were spared. so i started building my version of a UTV.

Attachments

thehandtool

Sep 20, 2012
LA
a couple fractures, one compound fracture, some head injuries and your standard bruising/scrathes. everyone survived. my friend was driving....lol, that would be the last time...

Familyman

Family. It's about time.
Jan 24, 2011
Mesa, Az
Cool looking a arms. Wondering how that's going to work with the steering rack up so high? Seems like it would give you some serious bump steer set up like that.

JaYpEeYoOeSsAy

Figure that user name out! - UTVUnderground Approv
Dec 13, 2009
Cool looking a arms. Wondering how that's going to work with the steering rack up so high? Seems like it would give you some serious bump steer set up like that.
Good point, I didn't notice that... Maybe he's doing something diferent with the steering arms...

thehandtool

Sep 20, 2012
LA
thanks guys! the cool part about this build is all of the different parts working together. the spindles are kawasaki teryx, the rack is a yamaha rhino, polaris powerplant.... i designed the entire front system off of the rack and spindles, i knew exactly that would work together. i managed to get all of my geometry correct, with built in caster and camber gain, less than 1/4" bump steer....all from hand tools.so at full bump it gains caster and camber as well as a "toe in" feature that literally sets your steering straight in hard bottom outs, allows your camber to set the tire in 8 degrees compared to 2 degrees at ride hight in turns and bottom outs to keep the outside edge of the tire off the ground so it does not catch and go into a barrel roll, its TT suspension technology basically.... on a utv.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Are you going to run a stock rack and how much ground clearance will you have a bottom out?

thehandtool

Sep 20, 2012
LA
yea...the rack is remaining stock till i blow it out... it was designed with 3" total clearance including tire smash, but since im running a larger tire than expected, i get 4".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000