2014 King Of The Hammers - YES there will be a UTV Race!

RPMaddict

Dec 5, 2011
It seems a lot of the responses here are self-serving and, that's just fine. In the spirit of KOH though, I am against all these rule suggestions. Isn't the appeal of KOH to see what man has built to conquer impossible terrain? Why all the limitations suggested? I can only imagine how boring the Ultra race would be if limited to stock displacement/aspiration. I for one would not be interested in watching a bunch of partially modified 6 cyl jeep JK's running the hammers. Pro/Sportsman class? Fine. How about one additional class: Open. Then we will have an opportunity to watch power, creativity, ingenuity and craftsmanship challenge nature's best head on. That is what Hammers is about and that is the evolution of our sport. This is one race that you NEVER want to see restrictions. Build to the hilt and put it up against mother nature and your competition.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
It seems a lot of the responses here are self-serving and, that's just fine. In the spirit of KOH though, I am against all these rule suggestions. Isn't the appeal of KOH to see what man has built to conquer impossible terrain? Why all the limitations suggested? I can only imagine how boring the Ultra race would be if limited to stock displacement/aspiration. I for one would not be interested in watching a bunch of partially modified 6 cyl jeep JK's running the hammers. Pro/Sportsman class? Fine. How about one additional class: Open. Then we will have an opportunity to watch power, creativity, ingenuity and craftsmanship challenge nature's best head on. That is what Hammers is about and that is the evolution of our sport. This is one race that you NEVER want to see restrictions. Build to the hilt and put it up against mother nature and your competition.
I'm with this guy ^^^^^^^^^^ if someone wants to spend $50k on his golf cart to show us he can climb, let him.... I think the 3 guys that made it last year were fairly stock compared to some other rigs i saw.... this race seems to be a race of skill, patience, and preparation. ....

yield2me

May 17, 2011
Yup.....

2 classes

Sportsman

Pro

Rules the same., Pro starts first (qualifying or not), Sportsman second by draw.

UTV based engine, UTV chassis, CVT, 4WD and some sort of UTV skins.....peel the fawk out!!

RPMaddict

Dec 5, 2011
Just a thought for all those who suggested a 1000cc limit: The new XP1 is 999cc. What do you think that unit would spec after your first top end rebuild? Hell, what do you think your measurement would be after the first 30 use hours? I would bet a pay check that the machine would be out of compliance. And unlike Aaron Rodgers, I'd make good on that bet if I lost. To be realistic, 1100cc would be reasonable.

RPMaddict

Dec 5, 2011
If you truly are going to charge $100 for sportsman racers, i could imagine a good turnout... seems like price point is a huge factor for a lot of people. It would be smart for a lot of people that want to give it a shot, be the sportsman champ one year then step up to the pro class! !! As far as rules, maybe nothing over 4 cylinders, otherwise build it and bash it :)
Well said.

yield2me

May 17, 2011
By "definition" a UTV has 1000 cc's or less.

So, if you rebuild your engine, and it is now 1030 cc 's, who cares...

If you make 1100, then, playing by the same rules , 1130 is fine...

Hell, if 1130 is good, might as well make 1200 cc sled engines pass.

Etc, etc, etc....then the next thing you know, people are lining up in Ultra 4 cars.

Pretty sure that "Legally" manufactures can't produce UTV's with more than 1000cc 's. I will look for a reference on that.

Honestly, I say run whatever big,bad, boy-howdy engine you want....and when your drivetrain is scattered down the rocks, everyone else will pass by!!!

Rob

RPMaddict

Dec 5, 2011
By "definition" a UTV has 1000 cc's or less.

So, if you rebuild your engine, and it is now 1030 cc 's, who cares...

If you make 1100, then, playing by the same rules , 1130 is fine...

Hell, if 1130 is good, might as well make 1200 cc sled engines pass.

Etc, etc, etc....then the next thing you know, people are lining up in Ultra 4 cars.

Pretty sure that "Legally" manufactures can't produce UTV's with more than 1000cc 's. I will look for a reference on that.

Honestly, I say run whatever big,bad, boy-howdy engine you want....and when your drivetrain is scattered down the rocks, everyone else will pass by!!!

Rob
The 1000cc limit is based on the helmet law that the manufacturers sponsored. 'Legally' they can build any size they want. They won't do it. Why build a machine that exposes you to the same liability you lobbied to limit? Your hypothetical is off the mark. I merely suggest an increase to 1100cc MAXIMUM to keep everyone in compliance once their machine has seen 100 use hours. All sanctioned racing has absolutes in displacements wherein they are limiting. It can be accomplished many ways, i.e. 600cc limit with .030 overrun on bore, max displacement, etc. This is how motocross machines went from 80cc max to 85cc, 125cc two-strokes went to 139cc (eventually 144), blah blah blah. The manufacturers started taking advantage of the runnout rules when they began making cylinders out of nikasil that was not practical for boring. I digress... If you want to limit the displacement, do it intelligently. Personally, in this race I would like to see at least one class with no limit - and that's coming from somebody with a machine sporting 951cc.

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
I need to go do some arctic weather training so I don't freeze my buns off camping in the back of my truck. Believe me, I aint no stranger to how cold the desert gets in February!

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
I need to go do some arctic weather training so I don't freeze my buns off camping in the back of my truck. Believe me, I aint no stranger to how cold the desert gets in February!
i hear ya. i brought a tent, but ended up inside my truck. but at least we had a ranger 800 utv for transportation. got a 37 foot toy hauler going this year, and 2 utv. so we will be warm at night, and on the move during the day :cool:

nbomar

Oct 24, 2013
I've never been to KOH and will be driving out from Arkansas bringing my XP4. I don't plan on racing but would enjoy riding around and watching different sections of the race. I've been reading all over the place about rules, etc. Is there anything I should be aware of before I show up? I will be camping at "Hammertown Heights" from what I was told from the guy I rented the RV from. Looking forward to my first "Left" coast event!

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
I've never been to KOH and will be driving out from Arkansas bringing my XP4. I don't plan on racing but would enjoy riding around and watching different sections of the race. I've been reading all over the place about rules, etc. Is there anything I should be aware of before I show up? I will be camping at "Hammertown Heights" from what I was told from the guy I rented the RV from. Looking forward to my first "Left" coast event!
I can assure you it will be well worth the drive and prolly oue of the best weeks of yer life:D It's off the hook:)

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
What he said. ^^^ I will be the first to offer beer in exchange for the passenger seat in your xp4. :)

1947_LEVI

Jul 31, 2013
San Juan Capistrano CA
My thoughts
1. qualifying is awesome
2. utv engines only no rotax, hyubusa etc...
3. stock frames, no tube frames
4. no running with EMC cars. it wasn't bad but it would be better for both.
5. No turbos, nitrous, supercharges , If you want to up the CCs to whatever, have at it.
6. If the UTVs run while the ultra 4s are qualifying the UTVs will get no love
7. Opening doors. who cares its not a short course race you not bumping and banging.
8. I'm not bringing the trophy back.You have to come get it if you win and bring beers.
9. Thanks for having the race again Dave !!!!!! your a good man

Take it as an opinion and not offensive, but....

1. Who cares about the "love" were out there to race!
2. opening doors required, really?! Count out any legit utv...

Nothing over 1000cc's (make it sop money can't buy a win)
(basically same as SCORE and BITD rules, they work!)

1947_LEVI

Jul 31, 2013
San Juan Capistrano CA
It seems common sense should guide the way for 3 classes;

Sportsman- simple, cheap (worcs style rules)
Pro- PRODUCTION 1000cc or less typ. desert rules
Unlimited- Go nuts, drop in an ls7 with dana 60's whatever....

it doesnt make sense the guys who want 150hp all tube chassis, why utv class?!? Build a truck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000