#1958 Race Car Issues

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Posted on another thread but maybe this helps others that are new. As much help as I had from people like Eric at Rockstar, Dan at LSR, Bill at Jagged, Dale at Dirty Dawg, Daniel at Turner etc it still comes down to you have to be responsible for managing your own car...imo. I'm not saying I have all or any of the "secrets" but this is what I've learned so far.............So my experience is anything can wear out or break.....not every issue is directly related to racing. Some of the issues non racers have I've had and other issues haven't been a problem at all. So here are the things I believe are random or related to the specific car since Polaris QC is all over the place. This is what we experienced after a little more than a year of racing the car. 2600mi

NOTE: The cage was built by LSR. Being new the first thing I did was roll the car 3 times in my first race....a record I don't expect will be broken anytime soon. Once was at 70+ mph so I can't stress how important the cage is. The only thing I would add that might be helpful to others so you don't break my record is be careful on high speed silt roads and if you get in trouble hit the throttle not the brakes!

Carrier bearing - no issues
Stator - replaced one believe it was just random
Voltage Regulator - no issues
Electronic steering and throttle - no issues
Drive Line - no issues but a little floppy after a year of racing so replaced u joints with Koyo greaseable
Exhaust - no issues
ECU - no issues
Radiator/fan and cooling system - no issues

Motor no issues....one fuel injector (MTBE fuel related) and replaced fuel rail before it leaked (preventative)

Transmission - no issues but changed the bearings to Ceramic and 200 miles lost the input bearing. Changed to Koyo bearings and no issues after 350 mi. Installed Air Dam clutch support brace (I think a good idea to take the load off the bearing)

Front Diff - Changed sprague and springs

Rear bearing carriers - no issues
Front spindles - no issues

Wheel bearings has been a crap shoot. Brand new Oem sometimes not tight so I only use Koyo from All Balls. Less expensive and seem to be better quality. I check wheel movement frequently and surprisingly with all the silt etc they seem to last a while but its random. Every now and then I get a wobbler.

Wicked Bilt steering box has not been a problem and I like the heavy duty rod ends. I drill the spindle out to 1/2" and use a plain old grade 8 bolt. Never broke a bolt and doubt I ever will. The new ends are 3/4" so I use a 3/4 x 1/2' brass bushing so I don't have to drill the spindle out to 3/4". That just sounds too big but might have enough meat still.....idk.

Axles are always an issue. Turner are heavy axles and maybe not necessary for desert car. However, the cv is heavy duty too which is the reason I use them and support is local here in Houston. Turner changed the grease they use and seems to be ok. However, if you thrash the car and the cv is working hard at a steep angle I'm not sure if there is a cv that will last under those conditions.

Clutch - no problems just replace springs every race or every other race. Dirty Dawg has been great help. Running a bilge blower helps in slow speed silt but imo the best cooling is the Starting Line 2" grommet screens to vent out the heat. We have air intake high on the roof of the car and it blows crazy air without a light bar. The air flow over the roof seems to start at about 3-4" above the deck so anything low isn't going to catch much air.....at least on our car. We use Gates C-12 belts and unless we smoke one driving in high when we should be in low then they last a race. Using a clutch alignment tool helps too.

Lone Star suspension haven't bent anything except when I rolled the car. On all 4 wheels no issues. The Spherical take a pounding and the uniballs need to be checked but they last a good while. Control arms Delrin bushings are good.

Attachment points- we have weld washers on the chassis at all the attachment points that we can including the radius rods to the chassis. We also have 12 mm bolts wherever we can. 12.9 grade and don't have to change them like we did the 10.9 grade10mm. I was seeing bolts bent after most races but never broke one. Still a pain in the ass to change all the bolts every race.

Sway bar we have is Shock Therapy and works good but sheared off the attachment plate on the chassis. We use a UTV Inc support to keep it from flexing back and forth. A bitch to install the clamps but it can be done. We need to shim the sway bar clamps because they were putting too much pressure on the neoprene bushing and the bar was too tight. Now we have to take the bar off to grease it. Don't like this. If you have access thru the firewall then it wouldn't be so bad. I THINK THE REINFORCING THE SWAY BAR ATTACHMENT TO THE CAR IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY OR IT WILL BREAK OFF EVENTUALLY. Utv Inc part is an easy bolt on fix. This is the second time I've said it and I don't even have a sticker out of the deal but I think it works.

Front Sway bar reduces body roll. Nelson and Nelson works good but there are others......LSR I think has one.

Skid Plate- We almost put a rock thru our trans so we installed a 3/16" hardened steel plate over the vitals. Heavier than plastic or alum but I never worry about rocks down the middle of the car. With a lesser plate it dented into the factory support and almost pushed it into the trans. Just the impact on the skid plate transferred into the factory plate then into the trans case could jack up your trans imo.

Wheels- Used Sti and they are junk! Changed to Method and they are a great value and racer quality for a good price.

Brakes- no issues other than don't buy cheapo brake pads. Rocky Mountain has good pads for 50% of the cost of OEM. The biggest factor with pads is the abrasive silt wearing them out not stopping the car.

Shocks - Still working on the Fox 2.5 and 3.0 internal bypass. No way they work right out of the box but way better than stock Walker Evans set up but not being in love with our set up I can't say what the answer is. I know some like the WE after rework. Radflo also has some good reviews.

I'm sure I miss a lot of stuff but thats what this Joe Schmo has experienced......don't know if it helps. I'm by no means an expert but I've learned a lot and still learning.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
LMAO about your record George. I always say that you if you cant make fun of yourself, you cant make fun of anyone else. Good thread topic also.

Reactions: facteryfmf

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
George thanks for sharing ... that's shit ton of knowledge and info. shared for potential racers.

Reactions: facteryfmf

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I hope everyone takes your advice georgie. I'd like to see about 10 of you out there....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Justin I'm sure you can add a lot here ....umm besides sarcasm and spell check I mean. Seriously though what did I miss or get wrong in your humble "cough" opinion.
I wish I could george, but I've simply been lucky enough to never have to prep the car since it's 500 miles away. I've been spoiled for a few years now

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
a lot of good info for somebody looking to start a team, or just wanting more info on what could possibly go wrong or what type of parts to consider replacing on a regular basis.

BRONCOBOY

Sep 22, 2014
Temecula
George

Excellent information, I'm getting my car ready for Parker and this helps alot!

I am curious about running 32" tires and what issues we will start to see

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
George

Excellent information, I'm getting my car ready for Parker and this helps alot!

I am curious about running 32" tires and what issues we will start to see
I'm not running 32" tires cuz I have 30". I know some cars will be running them so will be interesting how that works out. If finishing with the least number of issues is the key I'm not sure 32's fit the bill.....but maybe someone else can shed light on this.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I'm not running 32" tires cuz I have 30". I know some cars will be running them so will be interesting how that works out. If finishing with the least number of issues is the key I'm not sure 32's fit the bill.....but maybe someone else can shed light on this.
The 32" tires are going to be harder on all drive line components due to rotating mass and suspension components are going to be trying to control more weight as well. A 32" tire on a 14" wheel will be better than a 15" wheel imho. The rotating mass wont be spread as far to the outside and better wheel protection.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I've heard 8 lbs heavier tire.....that's a lot. Billet hubs and the lightest weight wheel you can find maybe even no beadlock can mitigate maybe 4-5 lbs of it?

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I've heard 8 lbs heavier tire.....that's a lot. Billet hubs and the lightest weight wheel you can find maybe even no beadlock can mitigate maybe 4-5 lbs of it?
Very possible but the larger diameter still has more leverage on axles,etc.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
George you switched to the 30" Tensor tires, which is a heavy tire. I'm betting some of the new 32" nylon radial tires will not weigh much more then the 30" Steel Belted Tensor. Using the 30" Steel Belted Radial, I would guess your un-sprung & rotating mass is pretty close to what the 32 nylon belted tire will be. And then depending on if you use a cast wheel or spun aluminum wheel, you can add or save un-sprung weight & rotating mass. And ditch the beadlocks as you dont need them.

The advantage of the 32" tire is going to be huge, I bet several teams once figured out are going to have a big advantage over a team sticking with a 30" tire. Bigger tire, smaller hole! The winning combo will be a Spun Aluminum (Centerline style) non beadlock wheel, Nylon belted 32" tire with a tube. Tube? Yes I said Tube! You can square a wheel and still keep running without getting a flat tire.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
The 32" tires are going to be harder on all drive line components...
...which will simply swing the advantage (even further) to those (often factory-sponsored) teams seizing the obvious size advantage and able to absorb any monetary consequences (anyways).

Let's see..we have Polaris engineers in marketing videos bragging as to how one driveline is built so much superior to most currently on the race course and in our garages..with most (now) running the latest working with their support and/or lightly limited budgets at most (or none at all given the latest class champion; who built one at a record-shattering pace and I'm assuming expense).

This is the year that our kids will talk about concerning this class.

Last edited:

#xpwarrior

Aug 24, 2015
George... From one Joe Schmo to another... Great thread. Here is the XPWarrior take on our half year of racing.

NO ISSUES YET:
Carrier bearing - original
Stator - original
Voltage Regulator - original but moved to front of the car
Electronic steering and throttle - original
Drive Line - original, need to pull out and balance
Exhaust - original but wrapped to lower the heat to passenger side shock
ECU - original
Radiator/fan and cooling system - upgraded to CBR dual core moved behind cabin
Motor - original, changed the full rail to prevent fires. we change the oil every race and still use Polaris oil because we are lazy and like to over spend for oil
Starter - original but blew out the o-rings at Parker, huge pain to change with motor installed
Transmission - original, we change fluid every race so we can check for metal
Front Diff - original, we change fluid every race so we can check for metal
Front spindles - original
Axles - LSR and no problems yet. CV boots are another story. My pit guys are really good at changing these in the field now. I think to date we have done somewhere around 8 boots this season. Terrain is the main cause of failure. V2R was brutal.

Issues we have had:
Communications - Our car has always had a communications issue. all of our chase vehicles can talk to each other. The trucks hear the car, but the bar gets nothing but static from everyone if it is moving. When the car is stationary it works perfect. In motion the cars communications is ZERO. We gave the car and a truck to one of the big companies thats at all the races to fix the issue. After being in their care for a couple hours they said it was good to go. We raced two days later without checking it out and during the race the comms failed to receive in the car. All we got was garbled static. It really sucks. At Henderson the Communication was so bad that after our steering failure we called Main Chase to move to Pit A while we were in motion and got no response we could understand. this happened many times. We got to Pit A and had to waited because our comms weren't full circle to allow the chase team to tell us their status.

Rear Bearing Carriers - bent/cracked these original OEM parts. They are cast aluminum, replace two with OEM and it took forever to get them.

Alignment - get your alignment right!! ensure everyone on your team knows how to check this in the field. If your car isn't getting to top speed it is either your clutch or alignment in my opinion. I have run every race with the alignment on my car all jacked up....it sucks. I have had the car crab walking on me, the front wheels driving in opposite directions...IT SUCKS. Hopefully I can get this problem fixed, mark all of the adjustable parts and never have the problem again. I can't wait to show up with a dialed car that goes straight and see the time we put down.

Wheel bearings are a crap shoot! OEM or Aftermarket it depends on how hard you drive and the conditions. I recommend having these at the ready after a race to change and not chance it. When you have the money, get a set of spare spindles and rear carriers and put bearing in to take to a race if a bearing fails. trying to press a bearing in or out after a failure during a race is not an easy task.

Clutch - we lost a primary spider across a lake bed at high speed. I couldn't understand why the car rev'd out at 60 mph and then had ZERO go. Had to limp the car in and take the Primary apart. Make sure the spider nut gets replaced and is installed with Lok-Tight. We now use Sparks for our clutching and it is a night and day difference from what we have had.

Steering wheel - our QD failed at Henderson this weekend. The six bolts just stripped right out of the thing while under power in the quarry. Pretty scary moment! I am still trying to figure out what happened, how and what can be done to prevent this from ever happening. I want to weld it all together!! If this would have happened in Beer Bottle, when I jumped the road crossing like I was a trophy truck, or at max speed in front of the spectator areas...I might be in a hospital.

Attachment points - I use a RacerTech Front brace. It is bolt on and off. We take the suspension off to insect after races so this is a great piece. It strengthens the front end up. Without a front sway brace it takes away some of the body roll. It is a noticeable difference in driving feel with it in. Love this thing and I thing the added value of strengthening the front end around the diff and the control arm points is a way better advantage than just weld washers to strengthen the control arm attach points.

Sway bar - LSR. It is great. Adjustable stiffness. It is really tight around the rubber just like George said his is. (squeaks a lot) No brace yet but maybe I need to call Johnny and get one. I think RacerTech makes on as well.

Skid Plate - UTV inc. Full one piece UMHW. This thing is pretty awesome. We used a full metal skid at V2R and it was mashed after the race. The UTV inc is still charging pretty hard, though I did just rip the very aft piece off when we landed one of the jumps at this weekends race. (i really hope someone got pictures of all the amazing stupid things I did at this weekends race)

Wheels - Method 401 Beadlock. I have had a rock find its way past the mud flap and into the wheel. When the rock and caliper met, they decided to get a room inside the wheel. The only "flat" I have had was this wheel hole that was from this rock poking a hole in it during a test session near Nellis AFB.

Tires - Tensor Regulator. Never had a tire failure or race flat. we have around 2300-2500 miles on the tires the car sits on. We pulled a nail out of one of the tires two weeks prior to Henderson but it never lost air. Great tire. If anyone thinks its heavy, that person can go buy the light tire they like and I will fly by them when they are changing a flat.

Brakes - I want to change these out to the 2016 turbo brakes. But then I have to change the spindles as well. Thats pricey!!

Shocks - I think I alone of the only race cars running Elka on a Polaris. I spent way too much money on them to just switch and it has been the most difficult thing to dial them in because we don't know anyone running them and I don't speak French. We didn't have the correct spring rates for the car at V2R. We raced parker without being able to test the shocks because we got the springs and our suspension parts installed days before the race. We race Parker with stock strings and it was a bucking bronco. The shocks were great this past weekend. We worked the crap out of them. Full throttle the first 6 miles and never let off the gas once we left the first two turns at the start. With Parker coming in a few weeks...I am going to go into depression thinking about having to dial them in for that place.

Reactions: Glamisfan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000