2011 Lake Elsinore Gp Official Thread! November 12th & 13th

karter44

2013 WORCS 850 CHAMPION
May 9, 2010
Yes, safety is a concern that is why I would not race without a built cage, seats, belts and firesuit. We can all screw up at anytime durning a race.

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
Jd23 I agree 100 percent !! Just good points right here and we don't want to lose our utv racing. My car is ready to all aspects and I would never drive a XP with out 747ink adding a cage.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I agree here too....it doesn't matter if your pro or a rookie, anything can happen and at the speeds these bad boys can go now it is imperative to protect yourself.
You may be the best driver there is and at the desert you the Robby Gordon of your camp but on the track you may have Ricky Bobby behind you and he can take you out.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Here are a couple things I had ORW put together. Red items are required.

Driving Suit $85.27 (Crow) cro24033
Gloves $42.67 (Crow) cro11734
Shoes $65.31 (Crow) cro21100bk
Fire ext mount $12.53 WWI2002
2.5 Fire ext $39.87 AMXB417T

If you want to get in on this deal please contact Wally at ORW Escondido (760) 746-3193. Tell him you are calling about the LEGP deal. You will get the UTVUG discount (pricing shown above) Total is $245.67 plus tax. You save $53.36. ORW has a store in Temecula or they could ship to your location.

Here is the link to the items on ORW website.

24033 – Blue single layer driving suit ( can be black,red )
2002 – Fire Extinguisher mount
B417T – Picture sent by Jesus – cannot be shipped
11734 – Gloves 2 Layer
21100BK – Shoes High Top

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Thank you, but I am not a newbie to racing utv's and what's to say a pro does not wad up a stock XP. Regardless of being new or experianced racer you should not drive over what your ride can handle.
I wasn't saying your a newbie, or that only newbies crash, but there are a lot of people that run these type of GPs that have no racing experience at all, and in the heat of the moment, don't know where that line is, and can easily end up in trouble, especially in a high HP UTV.

XPs have the potential to get you seriously hurt with only a stock cage... Its not like the old days of UTV racing with 22 HP rhinos flipping over on every other jump, and people just getting them back on there wheels and sending them on there way.

I applaud those who put on these grass roots GP style races. That being said, sometimes I am very surprised at what they let race. Ive ran a few, and have never had my car checked for safety items at all. It only takes one incident and it will never happen again.

karter44

2013 WORCS 850 CHAMPION
May 9, 2010
I wasn't saying your a newbie, or that only newbies crash, but there are a lot of people that run these type of GPs that have no racing experience at all, and in the heat of the moment, don't know where that line is, and can easily end up in trouble, especially in a high HP UTV.

XPs have the potential to get you seriously hurt with only a stock cage... Its not like the old days of UTV racing with 22 HP rhinos flipping over on every other jump, and people just getting them back on there wheels and sending them on there way.

I applaud those who put on these grass roots GP style races. That being said, sometimes I am very surprised at what they let race. Ive ran a few, and have never had my car checked for safety items at all. It only takes one incident and it will never happen again.
I am sorry then, I thought you were directing it at me. I do agree lack of experiance with the faster utv can get you introuble fast.

dascdude

Apr 30, 2011
Temecula, CA
So, when are the official rules going to show up at LEGP site? I paid early and then the rules changed. I have a RZR S with Crow belts, fire extuinguisher, and the rest stock WRT nets etc. I have had interest in racing and wanted to see what a GP was like since it is grass roots and locals can try it out.

work2play

Sep 12, 2011
Daniel's early morning post about getting the rules changed was too good to be true. I just got an email from Heather at PP stating fire suits are mandatory and riding gear is NOT allowed.

If nothing else, the UTV was going to be great fun and a good pre-run for my quad race. However, the new rules are just too costly to outfit the Teryx, passenger and me for a one hour event. :mad:

Here are the new rules from Heather:

UTVCross RULES:

SAFETY RULES ARE MANDATORY, PLEASE DO NOT SHOW UP TO THE STARTING LINE WITH OUT THE FOLLOWING!!!
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]
Ø [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Four or five point safety belt (harness restraints), harnesses must be securely fastened on one or both occupants at all times. All seat belts must have a quick release buckle system.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]
Ø [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Side doors/panels, must completely enclose the driver. A mounted lower bar is not acceptable; there cannot be any external driver exposure.
[/FONT]
Ø [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Window nets, if you have a passenger you must have nets on both sides of the vehicle.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]
Ø [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Fire Extinguisher, extinguishers must have a gauge, be fully charged, and easily accessible from inside the vehicle with current fire marshal’s seal and attached label.
[/FONT]
Ø [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]One-piece fire suits must be worn at all times when in the vehicle; the suit must cover from the neck to the ankles, to the wrists. All suits must be made from a fire-restraint material with the manufacturer's fire resistant label attached.
[/FONT]
Ø [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Helmets and protective eyewear are required at all times.

[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]CLASS DISPLACEMENT NOTES:

UTVCross MOD Max 1000cc-
[/FONT]
Ø [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Unlimited motor modifications. *NO NOS . Minimum 15 yrs old on first day of event. Must have a full roll cage. Production models. Engine and suspension modifications permitted.

UTVCross Super Stock Up to 855cc-
[/FONT]
Ø [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial] Motor must remain production based. Minimum 15 yrs old on first day of event. Production based class. The following limited items can be changed or added: tires, wheels, bumpers, skid plates, airbox, filter, fuel controller, and exhaust. Aftermarket suspension allowed in stock pivot points. After market production roll cages are permitted so long as they maintain OEM material specifications and OEM mounting locations.

UTVCross STOCK Up to 755 cc-
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]Ø [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial] Motor must remain production based. Minimum 15 yrs old on first day of event. Production based class. Must have a full roll cage. Production models. The following limited items can be changed or added: tires, wheels, bumpers, skid plates, air box, filter, fuel controller, and exhaust. No other suspension or internal motor modifications permitted. Bed supports may be removed. Frame reinforcements are permitted. Clutch and ignition changes are not permitted. After market production roll cages are permitted so long as they maintain OEM material specifications and OEM mounting locations.

SAFETY FIRST!...Have fun! WATCH FOR SPECTATORS!!!

Heather
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]

dascdude

Apr 30, 2011
Temecula, CA
Is Heather POC for refund? Fair assumption-- it ran last year then it could run this year. Changing that after encouraging us to sign up early.... well changes things quite a bit.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
a car went up in flames last year that is why it is manditory for you to have a race suit. here are the revised rules posted by offroadswapmeet earlier today.

I got them to make the change for all of you guys that want to race!
Just bring what you got and there will be a min saftey inspection.

Saftey Requirements:
HELMET
GLOVES
FIRE SUIT
STEEL TOED BOOTS OR RACE SHOES
Fire Exstiguisher mounted to the car and accessable.
Stock seats OK and race seats are reccomended.
WINDOW NETS, PRP nets or HM nets.

FORGET ABOUT THE CAR WIDTH'S

This race will be based on CC'S so dont cheat yourself and be HONEST!
Line up in your class when you get to the starting line.

Front- class 1
middle- Class 2
Back- Class 3

moto4life9099

Jan 17, 2011
Is Heather POC for refund? Fair assumption-- it ran last year then it could run this year. Changing that after encouraging us to sign up early.... well changes things quite a bit.
i just sent my email to her requesting a refund for mine and my dads entry

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
Buy a fire suit for $80.00 and it will save your life just like a 4 pt harness will. This is where racing is going so let's be prepared for the worst. It's worth it and I did Try to get the rules changed but didn't last long on the safety aspects. Liability is to high of a risk with the new high HP utvs

You won't be disappointed !! And you may get hooked.

work2play

Sep 12, 2011
Let's hope nobody breathes in dust or bonks there knee this year ... or next year air ventilation systems and knee pads will be mandatory :)

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Let's hope nobody breathes in dust or bonks there knee this year ... or next year air ventilation systems and knee pads will be mandatory :)
Ok, slippery slope........ You cant please everyone. I don't get why you would not spend the $85. If its the money maybe you should not be racing. If you suffer $200 damage during the race is that going to break your bank? There is some basic cost's to go race.

BOAT RACING REQUIRES A FIRE SUIT. YOU CAN JUMP IN THE WATER AND PUT YOURSELF OUT AND ITS STILL REQUIRED.

Imagine its the day after the race and you are sitting in the hospital with burns all over your body. Your family is coming to visit you and your kids are very upset. Your life has now been changed forever. When you people ask what happened and you explain there was an accident and you were trapped in your car and there was a fire. They ask you how could this have been prevented and you say what? What can you say? I did not take the proper safety precautions. There was a set of rules put out requiring a fire suit and I did not want to spend the money. I could have bought a driving suit for $85 and I would been protected over most of body until the safety crew came to our rescue.

Would anyone allow their child to race without all the proper safety gear? Why would you take the chance with yourself?

SFI Foundation Specs Assure Quality Driver Suits
by Jennifer M. Faye​

Years ago, drivers fearlessly climbed into their racecars wearing only cotton T-shirts and jeans. These days, most of us are more informed about driver safety and the importance of being protected from head-to-toe in any racing event. The ability of someone to emerge from a burning car virtually unscathed is a direct result of this recent increase in personal safety awareness.
Of course, racing is inherently risky but the chance of injury can be reduced if you take the time to protect yourself properly. Personal safety is a system of the driver suit, accessories, and helmet. The hub of this system is the driver suit.

There are many things that influence what kind of suit you get such as sanctioning body rules, track requirements, the type and speed of your car, etc. How do you put these factors together to ensure you buy the suit that is right for you? Some drivers look for a manufacturer's name they know or trust. Other people may be new to the sport and not as familiar with the products available.

No matter how much you already know (or don't know) about driver suits, you always have a standard that will guide you in your choice of a well-made garment. That standard is the SFI Foundation Specification 3.2A for Driver Suits. You have probably noticed the black and white SFI patch on many drivers' left shoulders at various tracks, from drag strips to dirt ovals. The patch demonstrates that the manufacturer certifies the suit to meet or exceed the SFI specification.

What does this mean to the consumer? It means that there is a way to differentiate the quality-assured products from the untested products. A driver suit that is certified to meet the SFI spec has been laboratory tested and has passed the requirements of that test. Before getting into the details of the testing procedures, it is necessary to understand what the SFI Foundation is and what it does.

SFI is a non-profit organization established to issue and administer standards for specialty/performance automotive and racing equipment. This includes parts like clutch assemblies and fuel cells as well as personal driver safety items.

The standards/specifications are created via a committee process. The technical committees are comprised of individuals from all facets of the industry. Through their expertise and research, a spec is drafted and then offered to all interested parties in the form of a public hearing. Once revised to the committee's satisfaction, the spec is presented to the SFI Board of Directors for approval. If approved, the spec is published and made available to the public. Sanctioning bodies all over the world include SFI specs in their rulebooks and use them as minimum requirements.

The driver suit spec 3.2A tests a garment's fire retardant capabilites. The spec contains a rating system based on the garment's capability to provide Thermal Protective Performance (TPP) in the presence of both direct flame and radiant heat. The purpose of the TPP is to measure the length of time the person wearing the garment can be exposed to a heat source before incurring a second degree, or skin blistering, burn.

The TPP rating is the product of exposure heat flux and exposure time. The TPP results can be converted to the time before a second degree burn occurs. The higher the garment rating, the more time before a second degree burn. Here are the SFI ratings with the corresponding TPP values and times to a second degree burn:

<center> <table border="1" cellpadding="4" width="350"> <tbody><tr> <th width="34%">SFI Rating </th> <th width="30%">TPP Value </th> <th width="36%">Time to 2nd Degree Burn </th> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="34%">3.2A/1</td> <td align="center" width="30%">6</td> <td align="center" width="36%">3 Seconds</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="34%">3.2A/3</td> <td align="center" width="30%">14</td> <td align="center" width="36%">7 Seconds</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="34%">3.2A/5</td> <td align="center" width="30%">19</td> <td align="center" width="36%">10 Seconds</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="34%">3.2A/10</td> <td align="center" width="30%">38</td> <td align="center" width="36%">19 Seconds</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="34%">3.2A/15</td> <td align="center" width="30%">60</td> <td align="center" width="36%">30 Seconds</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="34%">3.2A/20</td> <td align="center" width="30%">80</td> <td align="center" width="36%">40 Seconds</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </center>​

Another test included in the spec is the after-flame test. When a direct flame is applied the fabric and them removed, the time it takes the material to self-extinguish is measured. This is called after-flame time and it must be 2.0 seconds or less for the layer of fabric to pass. Cuff material is also subjected to this test.
The flammability test evaluates single layers of fabric only. The individual layers of a multiple-layer suit are tested for after-flame time separately.

The TPP test can be used to evaluate multiple-layer configurations as well as single-layer fabrics. The samples used in testing are assembled with the identical fabrics and layer order as an actual driver suit.

Other tests required by Spec 3.2A include thread heat resistance, zipper heat resistance, and multiple layer thermal shrinkage resistance.

A common misunderstanding about SFI ratings is that they represent the number of fabric layers in the garment. It is actually possible for driver suits with various numbers of layers to have the same performance rating. This is due to the wide range of materials used by manufacturers today.

The radiant heat portion of the spec is significant because the majority of racer burns are caused by heat transfer rather than direct flame. Insulation is the best way to prevent this kind of burn. Using multiple layers of fabric helps keep the heat source away from the skin longer because each layer creates air gaps that have to heat up. The extra seconds gained with each layer are precious to a driver trying to escape from a burning car.

Another way to obtain extra air gaps is to wear racing underwear. Fire resistant underwear should be worn with every type of driver suit, especially single layer suits because it will double the minimum protection time (+3 seconds). The 3.2A rating does not include underwear. It is certified through SFI Spec 3.3 for Driver Accessories and undergoes the same TPP and flammability tests as the driver suit outerwear.

A garment's insulation capability is also affected by the fit of the suit. A suit worn too tight will compress the air gaps and allow heat to reach the skin faster.

There are other things you can do besides finding a correct fit to optimize the protection performance of your driver suit. For maintaining the quality of your suit, it is absolutely essential to read the care tag on the garment and closely follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Avoid wearing your suit while working on the car. Not only would you be ruining an expensive piece of equipment, but you would essentially be inviting a fire to burn you. Grease, fuel, oil, and even cleaning fluids can soak into the fabric and support the flames of a fire, causing high heat. Fluids soaked into a suit also produce steam when exposed to heat and cause liquid vaporization burns.
If you are ever involved in a fire, discard your suit and get a new one. Even the smallest singe is a weak spot in the material and can cause a problem if exposed to fire again. Proper maintenance of a driver suit will help extend its useful life and provide you with years of protection.

Auto racing is the fastest, most exciting sport in the world and with speed comes danger. Drivers put themselves at risk every time they climb into their racing machines. Fortunately, there is a program in the form of the SFI Foundation to help guide drivers in choosing quality protective equipment.

karter44

2013 WORCS 850 CHAMPION
May 9, 2010
I was the same way about a fire suit until I watched a fellow racer catch fire and had a problem with his belts. With people just standing back and not helping he had no chance except for wearing the fire suit that gave him the additional time to get out. The suit and car was done but he wasnt. Cheap insurance for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000