turbo's in desert racing

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
id be willing to bet a pile of money if you put a Turbo Can Am up against my current race car that I raced at the Mint 400 straight line the Can Am would pull my RZR and make my car look as if it was sitting still ... its not the RZR winning races right now its the drivers and teams
The turbo has a fundemental advantage over a n/a car. So looking forward it could be a problem......not that its a problem now. If turbo cars start dominating races and winning championships then I suspect that's when it will be a problem......I agree not seeing that yet but they've only raced in a handful of races so far.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I think the conclusion to this post is pro can am class and pro Polaris class.The reason iam saying this is what team on can am side will run a NA 1000 car? So will this lead to no completion for the manufacters and manufacters pull out?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I think the conclusion to this post is pro can am class and pro Polaris class.The reason iam saying this is what team on can am side will run a NA 1000 car? So will this lead to no completion for the manufacters and manufacters pull out?
Thats assuming we won't ever see a Polaris Turbo.

The problem here (can of worms) is not singular, no matter what someone is going to get their feelings hurt because of the way the rules were made prior to this season starting. We all know Can-Am wants their racers in their best machine, thats a given. This would be a null and void conversation had the Turbo's been left out of the Pro UTV class but.. no sense in beating that dead horse anymore...

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
I for one, do not want to see more classes. It is amazing when there is 50+ Pro UTV's in one class lining up at the starting line. Plus the payout is obviously commensurate with entries. Separating turbos and NA UTV's will hurt the class. As much as I believe that allowing turbos in the Pro UTV class was wrong and honestly unfair, the horse has left the stable and we now live in a turbo UTV era in Pro UTV desert racing.

So here is my fix to this can of worms...give all of the teams a one year 'pass' to retrofit their normally aspirated Pro UTV's to turbos, if the OEM comes out with that option. It is not perfect, but it will keep the class growing, not obsolete cars that were just built and keeps the rules as they are. My 2 pesos.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Thats assuming we won't ever see a Polaris Turbo.

The problem here (can of worms) is not singular, no matter what someone is going to get their feelings hurt because of the way the rules were made prior to this season starting. We all know Can-Am wants their racers in their best machine, thats a given. This would be a null and void conversation had the Turbo's been left out of the Pro UTV class but.. no sense in beating that dead horse anymore...
You are correct on beating a dead horse. But if the utvra would of did it correct and moved turbo can am to unlimited then there is no can am manufacter team in the pro class other then Polaris correct. So is that what Polaris wants no competition, class with them only competing against there selfs, maybe they do like terracross. My question still through this complete post is regulating the ecu even a smart idea or is utvra wasting there time because Polaris teams want a NA class and turbo class.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
You are correct on beating a dead horse. But if the utvra would of did it correct and moved turbo can am to unlimited then there is no can am manufacter team in the pro class other then Polaris correct. So is that what Polaris wants no competition, class with them only competing against there selfs, maybe they do like terracross. My question still through this complete post is regulating the ecu even a smart idea or is utvra wasting there time because Polaris teams want a NA class and turbo class.
Its cant be regulated...thats the answer. It can be attempted... The polaris teams that step up to a turbo will have the same can of worms. Then in a year when the playing field is leveled and more manufactures have the same platform no one will care about about ECU reflash.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Its cant be regulated...thats the answer. It can be attempted... The polaris teams that step up to a turbo will have the same can of worms. Then in a year when the playing field is leveled and more manufactures have the same platform no one will care about about ECU reflash.
So in my understanding then Polaris will send utvra everything to reflash and break into ecu then to make sure its stock lol. I still don't understand how a none dealer can get the system from brp and change it doesn't that go against every emission law out there just saying. I think every manufacter is riding a very fine line having utvra mess with there ECU with a system only the dealer is suppose to have.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
So in my understanding then Polaris will send utvra everything to reflash and break into ecu then to make sure its stock lol. I still don't understand how a none dealer can get the system from brp and change it doesn't that go against every emission law out there just saying. I think every manufacter is riding a very fine line having utvra mess with there ECU with a system only the dealer is suppose to have.
I don't know how you read Polaris would send anything to UTVRA....in my post... You really think Cory is smart enough to read and understand ECU code? LMMFAO that's a hoot. There only like 2 guys that even reflash Polaris ECU's and to my understanding those 2 guys use the same genius to do it.

Reactions: JoeyD23

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
Can we just just worry about this when we have more then a 1 hit wonder? The mint was really about just being there at the end with a car that still ran. Johnny Broke, Justin hit the only Tree in the desert. And others had rough days. The S3 guys look to have their act together, But they broke something at Silver state when I passed them as they waved at me bringing the motor grader in for the finish.

On paper Turbo's sound good. But on a glorified golf kart, they are just one more thing to break in series of weak links.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
This is not what Polaris wants. Big reason they don't offer much support to the WORCS and LUCAS Regional series'. No need to promote RZRs beating RZRs. Polaris NEVER said anything on this matter or voiced any opinion as a company that I am aware of. I certainly don't speak for Polaris.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
This is not what Polaris wants. Big reason they don't offer much support to the WORCS and LUCAS Regional series'. No need to promote RZRs beating RZRs.
100% correct! I have been saying this for a long time. Competition is what keeps a sport or class healthy. If Polaris or any of the manufactures don't have a reason or need to be there, because they are winning everything or cant win anything. Then the Board & Stockholders will start asking why are you spending your Marketing Money in that Sport, Series or Class.

For example Kawasaki chooses to sponsor and support Professional Bull Riders (PBR) and Polaris Ranger sponsors and supports ProRodeo. These company's have so many other places besides off-road racing to promote their products. And I guarantee they get way more Return On Investment from supporting the Rodeo series then they do from supporting Score or a few dozen race teams.

Years ago Michelin who owns BFG wanted to pull the plug on their off-road program. Michelin did not see the value in it, as there was no competition and their budget was really big. Most dont know how much BFG has done for this sport and what their budget used to be. It was huge! They paid for and marked all the Baja race courses, they hosted BBQ's for the teams running their tires, as they still do now, they offer pit support to anyone running BFG tires, and they also do scoring & radio support like Weatherman & Score Ops.

Michelin Corporate did not see the value in continuing after Bridgestone, Yokohama, GoodYear, General and a few more pulled out. But a few people like Frank DeAngelo worked hard to cut budgets, reduce staff, reduce tire deals / sponsorship and the support they gave to Score. Doing so bought them a few more years in the sport. And then Yokohama came back, Toyo came in, General came back and all of the sudden BFG had competition, and it was important for them to keep that Baja Champion status alive. Just look on the sidewall of the street legal A/T & MT tires, they still say "Baja Champion" on them. We now see smaller companies like Radar Tires and all these UTV brand tires coming into the sport to grab a small piece of the pie. In the last 6 months BFG has released two new Race Purpose tires, the new 35" KR2 & 30" KR2. Last year they redesigned the BFG A/T and a year before that they released the Race KRT tire which is what the TT's are using along with the original "Project" tire.

I hope next year Polaris is out there with their N/A & turbo, Can Am with their N/A & turbo and this rumored Yamaha / Arctic Cat collaboration out there racing for wins. Would not shock me to see Honda come into the sport if Yamaha can pull off a return.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
This is not what Polaris wants. Big reason they don't offer much support to the WORCS and LUCAS Regional series'. No need to promote RZRs beating RZRs. Polaris NEVER said anything on this matter or voiced any opinion as a company that I am aware of. I certainly don't speak for Polaris.
So your saying Polaris will have the same standard as Can am turbo car if they release a turbo Polaris. Stock ECU and Utvra will get a computer system to read there ECU to make sure its stock? LOL no rule will be changed, so can am wasted there time. But I believe Polaris will get there wish turbo class to race other can am and the pro class n/a will be Polaris only class so it will start to lose help from the big guy. Or will Yamaha and kitty cat make it interesting for 2016 with a turbo or non turbo?

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
So your saying Polaris will have the same standard as Can am turbo car if they release a turbo Polaris. Stock ECU and Utvra will get a computer system to read there ECU to make sure its stock? LOL no rule will be changed, so can am wasted there time. But I believe Polaris will get there wish turbo class to race other can am and the pro class n/a will be Polaris only class so it will start to lose help from the big guy. Or will Yamaha and kitty cat make it interesting for 2016 with a turbo or non turbo?

I will have to get back to you, my crystal ball is broken today.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
ehhhhhhh... how did you get all that from my post??? lol

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
I still say let them all tinker with what the Factories are supplying to the Retail public and run them. That will keep the pressure on the factories to continually improve the product. Say one factory is always getting beat in the races they will need to step up there game to try and gain some wins. No reason to try and Police all of the computer flashes as the little Turbos can only flow so much air. The 2016 Turbo car with 131hp has one flash left and after that last 10 HP its done for. All hot air after that one and that's no good, Heres the good part all of these cars with the new found Turbo power will force the factories to do more R&D to make a better drive system since the longevity of the Rubber band drive system is getting to be a problem. So better transmissions and drives are going to needed for sure. Run what ya Brung and hope you brought enough. Like the good old days of street racing lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000