Yamaha beat down at loors.

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
I'm suprised Polaris is just giving the points Championship away in LOORS like that. Yamaha is completely dominating. It would have been a clean sweep yesterday if Hammel hadn't gone off that far jump sideways towards the end of the race. Poor Deberti is a great driver and Cognito built him a bad ass race car. He's doing an awsome job trying to keep up (The move he made to swerve away from hammels tumbling car was amazing) but he's only one guy. With the amount of exposer that race gets I wonder why Polaris doesn't get a few teams in there to break up the beat down that's going on. They need to get Cody Raiders back in there when hes not racing BITD ...Especially since polaris is a sponser for the Production 1000 class I belive. I could be wrong on that ...I'm a polaris guy and it's painful to watch the straight up ass kicken thats going now every race.

Last edited:

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I think Polaris sponsors SoCal and Yamaha sponsors Az. I thought it would take Yamaha a little longer but I'm not really surprised at the results.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Thanks bluediamond, Cody wants to go do a couple of Regionals in the near future but after 4 titles at LORORS (2-900 & 2-1000) his main focus now is desert and the upcoming Baja 500. He would like to do the May round but most likely it will be August.
When it comes to short course the Yamaha has some advantages and in the right hands will be tough to beat, fortunately Cody has several days working on and driving the Yamaha for Fox Shocks so he knows the car, this is good.

His wheels are already turning.

Last edited:

cocojoe

May 14, 2012
With ECU tuning Yamaha has way more HP to the gorund and will win every race from now on out, has nothing to do with needing better drivers. They have a serious advantage over the Polaris and will from here on out. They wouldnt let the turbo polaris run in the production class because of the HP advantage and the tuned Yamaha's make more power than the turbos. It is what it is, get used to Yamaha winning every race

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Talking with my father Cocojoe that's exactly what he suggested to even it up as well. Polaris drivers allowed to run the turbo car with stock ECUs' . Throw in the gear reduction kits on the Yamahas and it's all over but the crying. If loors wants more than one manufacturer in that production class they need to make some changes to the rules to even it up. It's funny, when the bitd na turbo discussion was going on the Yamaha folks said racing a NA car against a turbo wasn't a fair fight. But now that Im seeing these two production cars I am really seeing that it would be a more than a fair fight and think they should be racing together in the same class in that series.

Last edited:

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Let's take a look at the facts. First, there is NO stock YXZ that has more HP than a turbo XP1000 - that's just silly. Turbo XP1000 on our dyno is around 110HP. My STOCK, piped YXZ1000 is 94HP. Second, this is the Production 1000 UTV class that we are talking about. This is a stock class, for NA motors not to exceed 1000cc - not to have ANY motor mods - and to be run as a stock, production machine from the factory. Yamaha has come to the class with a machine that fits perfectly within the rules as they are written.

The Polaris' are allowed to have clutch modifications in this class (weights/ springs / helix) - as we all know, that is a pretty big deal when it comes to getting the power to the ground with the XPs. The Yamahas are not allowed to do ANYTHING to their clutch. Nothing. Nada. Bone stock. The Yamahas are also required to weigh a MINIMUM of 1720lbs.....which is almost 100 lbs more than the 2014 XP1000s have to weigh:
  1. 2014 RZR: 1625 pounds including driver

2. 2015-16 RZR: 1675 pounds including driver.
Is the YXZ a superior machine? I think so, but I am a tad biased......kudos to Yamaha for rising to the challenge of competition. For anyone who races motocross, what happens when an OEM makes a better dirt bike? Does the series change the rules to allow larger displacement models from certain manufacturers? Does the series change the rules because they feel it's not a fair race?? NO! The OEMs step up the next year and come out with a better model that fits within the rules of the class they are all racing in. It's called competition, and it is what fuels the market and gives the consumer a better product and plenty of choices to choose from when it comes to buying a new machine.

This is no different. It's dumb to say that the rules need to be changed because the YXZ is doing such a good job in the class. Pretend this is SX....or ANY motocross class out there. If your Honda isn't cutting it, sell it and buy the model that IS cutting it. When the YFZ450 came out, I was the first one in my class to buy it, because I knew it was going to be awesome. And it was.....it killed everything in it's class. And you know what happened? The next race I came to, 1/3 of the field had the YFZ450. And the next race.....over half. And the racing got REALLY good after that and we all had to step it up to compete. The following year, the Kawi 450 and Suzuki 450 came out, and then it was game ON for all the OEMs. THIS is what it's all about......

To change the rules and whine because another OEM stepped up to the plate is just stifling the ENTIRE market.......and it goes against everything racing is even designed to do, which is give the OEMs the incentive to continue to make the best products they possibly can for US, the consumer. Brand wars are good for everyone, and now the Prod 1000 class actually has people coming to watch it again, because it just started to get interesting.

Reactions: sand shark
Apr 7, 2014
apple valley, ca
Let's take a look at the facts. First, there is NO stock YXZ that has more HP than a turbo XP1000 - that's just silly. Turbo XP1000 on our dyno is around 110HP. My STOCK, piped YXZ1000 is 94HP. Second, this is the Production 1000 UTV class that we are talking about. This is a stock class, for NA motors not to exceed 1000cc - not to have ANY motor mods - and to be run as a stock, production machine from the factory. Yamaha has come to the class with a machine that fits perfectly within the rules as they are written.

The Polaris' are allowed to have clutch modifications in this class (weights/ springs / helix) - as we all know, that is a pretty big deal when it comes to getting the power to the ground with the XPs. The Yamahas are not allowed to do ANYTHING to their clutch. Nothing. Nada. Bone stock. The Yamahas are also required to weigh a MINIMUM of 1720lbs.....which is almost 100 lbs more than the 2014 XP1000s have to weigh:
  1. 2014 RZR: 1625 pounds including driver

2. 2015-16 RZR: 1675 pounds including driver.
Is the YXZ a superior machine? I think so, but I am a tad biased......kudos to Yamaha for rising to the challenge of competition. For anyone who races motocross, what happens when an OEM makes a better dirt bike? Does the series change the rules to allow larger displacement models from certain manufacturers? Does the series change the rules because they feel it's not a fair race?? NO! The OEMs step up the next year and come out with a better model that fits within the rules of the class they are all racing in. It's called competition, and it is what fuels the market and gives the consumer a better product and plenty of choices to choose from when it comes to buying a new machine.

This is no different. It's dumb to say that the rules need to be changed because the YXZ is doing such a good job in the class. Pretend this is SX....or ANY motocross class out there. If your Honda isn't cutting it, sell it and buy the model that IS cutting it. When the YFZ450 came out, I was the first one in my class to buy it, because I knew it was going to be awesome. And it was.....it killed everything in it's class. And you know what happened? The next race I came to, 1/3 of the field had the YFZ450. And the next race.....over half. And the racing got REALLY good after that and we all had to step it up to compete. The following year, the Kawi 450 and Suzuki 450 came out, and then it was game ON for all the OEMs. THIS is what it's all about......

To change the rules and whine because another OEM stepped up to the plate is just stifling the ENTIRE market.......and it goes against everything racing is even designed to do, which is give the OEMs the incentive to continue to make the best products they possibly can for US, the consumer. Brand wars are good for everyone, and now the Prod 1000 class actually has people coming to watch it again, because it just started to get interesting.
and with a tuned ECU and exhaust what are you putting to the ground? 101Hp and to say you are running stock ECU's is far from the truth remember I have one of these sitting in my shop rite now that does 96MPH with no modifications but a exhaust and tune. I think Polaris needs to step up as well I agree. I am not bias to either car I just want to see some competition out there.. you are killing it out there keep up the good work you and Yamaha have a great program going.

Reactions: facteryfmf

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
If this was SX (or MX) there would be a production rule and everyone would be racing a different color of the same thing.
I argued this when it was just the Rhino at CORR and the Teryx came along killing the class, the economy didn't help but when the V-twin showed up it was over and the class never recovered at that level.

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Corry I aggree with everything you said but here is the argument you will hear from the polaris diehards going off of your statement . If you really want a true production class that puts all the manufacturers best models against each other on the track then that's how it should be. Not have one manufacturers top model racing against another manufacturers 2nd fastest model. Wether it's in the dunes with your crew or on the track. I aggree this is what drives competition between manufacturers. . To turn what you are saying around a bit more it could be said that if you don't want to lose to a turbo car then buy a turbo car and force the other maufactures to offer a turbo model. It will be interesting to follow along ...good luck to you guys the rest of the year. It's been fun to watch so far. I'm more looking forward to see what you guys can do with that car in the desert

Last edited:
Reactions: Patt107 and Johnny

cocojoe

May 14, 2012
I for one was not calling for a rule change, or for allowing the turbo's to run. The Yamahas are clearly faster! down the straight aways and just pull and drive away from the other cars in the class. Kudo's to Yamaha for building a machine that with slight tuning is so much faster than their rival. They are clearly the choice in the small arena that is short course racing, interesting to see how they do in the big show that is desert racing, as more of them show up in the desert.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I don't think it is any surprise the Yamaha is doing so well in the short course stuff. It is set up really well for it.

In the desert there are so many variables that can end a race. Once the YXZ racers get the bugs worked out for the desert, they will right up there. Just the advantage of not having to slow down because of the belt or stop to do a belt change will be a big advantage.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Boohoo, Polaris dominated this class for years and now something better came along and they should be allowed to run a turbo? Its not even a sane argument.

702sandman

Sep 12, 2015
I'm surprised they haven't had the same results in WORCS ? or are they just fast in the Lucas style straight aways ?

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I'm surprised they haven't had the same results in WORCS ? or are they just fast in the Lucas style straight aways ?
If the top WORCS racers switch to Yamaha they would have the same results. Corry and Dustin are both top level short course racers while Polaris' guy switched to desert racing. Robert VanBeekum has been competitive in Az against them.

702sandman

Sep 12, 2015
If the top WORCS racers switch to Yamaha they would have the same results. Corry and Dustin are both top level short course racers while Polaris' guy switched to desert racing. Robert VanBeekum has been competitive in Az against them.
Dustin does race in the WORCS series ?piplic and baron are the top in the worcs series they have not gone to the desert side yet. I'm just thinking that the tight technical stuff that worcs has is way different than the Lucas series where you pretty much are pinned the whole time. It seems like Polaris is looking at the worcs races and the desert races and not at Lucas anymore. Just my opinion.

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
Dustin does race in the WORCS series ?piplic and baron are the top in the worcs series they have not gone to the desert side yet. I'm just thinking that the tight technical stuff that worcs has is way different than the Lucas series where you pretty much are pinned the whole time. It seems like Polaris is looking at the worcs races and the desert races and not at Lucas anymore. Just my opinion.
Your exactly right the Lucas regionals don't get the exposure worcs, gncc and desert do and Polaris doesn't have much interest in Lucas because of that. More manufacturers would take more notice to Lucas if utvs went back to the nationals and got that kind of exposure again that's for sure. The Yamaha once the bugs are worked out will be a contender as mentioned above in the desert and worcs etc give it time. It also takes the right people with the right knowledge to get it to the level it can perform in those conditions. Many know about my car and as its gets the bugs and weak points figured out it only gets better and becomes more of a threat ;)

Reactions: sand shark

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
The transmission combined with talented drivers make the Yamaha dominate that class at loorrs. It was my first regional in a while and I have some great photos and a story I'll post when I get back from Utah. Sorry for lagging.

But as long as the Yamaha can get in and out of corners while maintaining the rpms by shifting gears the RZRs will be racing for 4th place.

Hopefully OEMs will somehow come to develop even keel machines for racing. Otherwise we will continue to have this situation like we have year after year. First a V-Twin messed it up, then bigger CCs, then a turbo, now a manual trans. It's a vicious cycle.

HeadPorter

Mar 15, 2016
The Yamahas aren't unbeatable. A Polaris lead the first 6 laps of the last AZ Regional until the mandatory caution, at which point it was passed. Until then, the YXZ wasn't gaining. All in clutching and suspension.

It will however, continue to get weighed down as it already has been since it has a clear 15HP plus advantage.

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
The transmission combined with talented drivers make the Yamaha dominate that class at loorrs. It was my first regional in a while and I have some great photos and a story I'll post when I get back from Utah. Sorry for lagging.

But as long as the Yamaha can get in and out of corners while maintaining the rpms by shifting gears the RZRs will be racing for 4th place.

Hopefully OEMs will somehow come to develop even keel machines for racing. Otherwise we will continue to have this situation like we have year after year. First a V-Twin messed it up, then bigger CCs, then a turbo, now a manual trans. It's a vicious cycle.
agree the yamaha is a great loorrs platform

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000