YAMAHA ANNOUNCES 2017 SIDE-BY-SIDE AND ATV FACTORY-SUPPORTED RACERS

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Yamaha Announces 2017 Side-by-Side and ATV Factory-Supported Racers
Jason Weller Captures Yamaha’s $5,000 bLU cRU Winnings at King of the Hammers

KENNESAW, Ga. – March 7, 2017 – Yamaha Motor Corp., USA, announces both its new and returning factory-supported Side-by-Side (SxS) and ATV racers for the 2017 season, including defending champions racing the YXZ1000R pure sport SxS and class-leading YFZ450R sport ATV.

The 2017 Yamaha race team announcement follows the King of the Hammers UTV race in Johnson Valley, California, where Jason Weller took home Yamaha’s $5,000 bLU cRU bonus for piloting the top-finishing YXZ1000R. With 75 SxS vehicles starting, and only 38 finishing the grueling race, Weller secured an impressive top-ten position, conquering the Hammers’ brutal course “…considered the toughest one-day off road race in the world…” in his nearly-stock manual transmission YXZ1000R.

Cody Miller

Dustin Nelson and his Dustin Nelson Racing / DWT YXZ1000R return with Yamaha this year, looking to repeat his dominance in the Lucas Oil Off-Road Racing Series. Nelson will defend his title in the Southern California regional series, as well as compete in Lucas Oil’s new National UTV series. Nelson reigned supreme in both the Arizona and Southern California regional championships in 2016 driving his YXZ1000R, securing multiple wins and consistent podiums to earn more than 70 points above the next non-YXZ racer.

Joining Yamaha’s team of factory-supported SxS racers for the 2017 season in The Off-Road Racing Championship (TORC) series is decorated champion CJ Greaves. Greaves saw early success in TORC’s Super Buggy and Pro Light classes, earning Super Buggy championship titles in 2010 and 2011. He later moved on to the series’ Pro truck classes, earning three Pro 2 championships from 2014 to 2016, and two Pro 4 championships in 2015 and 2016. Last year, Greaves decided to take on the series’ inaugural Stock UTV class, winning the season finale at Crandon International Raceway. Greaves will chase this year’s Production 1000 UTV championship in his new Monster Energy / Maxxis / Greaves Motorsports YXZ1000R.

CJ Greaves

Also joining Yamaha’s growing team of SxS racers is current Grand National Cross Country (GNCC) XC1 Pro UTV champion, Cody Miller, defending his title with his Randy Hawkins N-Fab / Am-Pro YXZ1000R Sport Shift. Miller is an experienced GNCC racer in the SxS and 4×4 ATV racing classes, making GNCC history last year as the only one to win a 4×4 Pro ATV race and XC1 Pro UTV race on the same day.

Already off to a winning start, Yamaha-backed Walker Fowler, the WFR / Maxxis / Moto-XPerts two-time GNCC XC1 Pro ATV champion, is back to defend his title aboard his YFZ450R. Fowler will also make his SxS debut in the GNCC’s XC1 Pro UTV class, driving his WFR / Maxxis YXZ1000R Sport Shift alongside Miller. Fowler brings more than a decade of two and four-wheel experience to the podium, placing first or second overall in every series since his introduction to GNCC racing in 2006.

Jason Weller

Also returning to the XC1 Pro ATV class and racing alongside Fowler on his N-Fab / Am-Pro YFZ450R is the two-time XC2 ATV champion, Cole Richardson.

Heading up the ATV MX effort for Yamaha is the second all-time winning AMA Pro ATV champion Chad Wienen on his Wienen Motorsports / SSI / 7240 / Walsh YFZ450R. In 2016, Wienen became the second racer in ATV MX history, and the only racer in 25 years, to win five-straight AMA Pro ATV MX championships. In 2017 Wienen looks to continue making history, chasing his sixth consecutive ATV MX championship in a row.

Thomas Brown will also be contending in the AMA Pro ATV series, continuing with Yamaha on his Root River Racing / CST / Pro Motorsport YFZ450R, and looking to strengthen the bLU cRU presence on the podium.

Dustin Nelson

“We have worked hard during the off-season to strengthen our ATV and SxS racing efforts and are pleased with the group of drivers / riders that will be racing both YXZ1000R and YFZ450R models in premier series across the U.S.,” said Donnie Luce, Yamaha’s ATV / SxS coordinator. “The YXZ1000R and YFZ450R aren’t just winning championships, they are changing the landscape of racing.”

The Yamaha YXZ1000R and YFZ450R, along with the entire SxS line and full-size ATVs, are proudly assembled in the USA at Yamaha’s state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Newnan, Georgia, for worldwide distribution.

Walker Fowler

To register or view more information on Yamaha’s bLU cRU program, including all guidelines and requirements for ATV and SxS racing, visit www.YamahabLUcRU.com. Additionally, follow Yamaha racing online at www.facebook.com/YamahaMotorUSA, www.twitter.com/YamahaATVracing and www.Instagram.com/YamahaMotorUSA. #Yamaha #YamahaRacing #YXZ1000R #YFZ450R #bLUcRU #AssembledinUSA

About Yamaha Motor Corp., USA
Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, (YMUS), a leader in the motorsports market, makes the toughest, most capable and versatile ATV and Side-by-Side vehicles. The company’s ever-expanding product offerings also include motorcycles, outboard motors, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, boats, outdoor power equipment, accessories, apparel and much more. YMUS products are sold through a nationwide network of dealers in the United States.

Headquartered in Cypress, Calif., since its incorporation in 1976, Yamaha also has facilities in Wisconsin and Georgia, as well as factory operations in Tennessee and Georgia. For more information on Yamaha, visit www.YamahaMotorsports.com.

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
I dont get Yamaha not putting someone in Best in the Desert. We used to race against the race team manager Donnie Luce . Even going back to the 3 wheeler days when he was a Kawasaki supported racer. He is a die hard racer and you would think he would want ro have atleast one car in there.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
It seems to me that Yamaha likes to play their cards wisely and a bit more conservatively as to how they spend their sponsorship dollars. We have seen Weller, Staggs and a few others out there competing in Yamaha's now, but not a ton of success. Gunner Savage did get on the podium in Pro UTV at the Mint which is a good thing for Yamaha. My point is, I think Yamaha wants to know that their platform is competitive before making a big deal out of it. Hoping we get to see a legit desert effort soon for them!

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Yamaha is going to be more and more visible on the podium in desert as more Yamahas are built and raced.....I have said from day 1 that the YXZ is a great desert machine, and we are excited to race in a few more races this year ourselves!

As for me not being Factory this year, that was my decision (and a difficult one) and it was purely business.......I still bleed blue, still run Yamaha stickers, still race my YXZ (Jason is racing this year in LOORRS, too!), and still have a great relationship with Yamaha, etc. :) I think Yamaha has a very talented, very fast field of racers this year in their UTV stable, and it will be fun watching my fellow YXZ racers all season in their respective classes! I am racing Lucas Oil Regionals in both classes, some desert races, and hopefully a TORC race or two again this season as well as doing other cool stuff like going to Australia for a Yamaha Australia media event next week, and other events throughout the year. :)

It's good to see ALL of the OEMs stepping up and being competitive with racing and with new products, etc.....I love the momentum that continues to grow in this industry, and the excitement I see on a daily basis from everyone involved. It's truly a blessing to be a part of such a fun and exciting world!! :)

dezertracer

May 22, 2016
The Yamaha does good in the desert. I raced my first AVE rave and overalled it in a YXZ with bone stock suspension. Last year the YXZ did very good in the AVE desert series. I will be racing BITD as soon as I get a fuel cell figured out so that will be one more Yamaha in the mix.

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Yamaha is going to be more and more visible on the podium in desert as more Yamahas are built and raced.....I have said from day 1 that the YXZ is a great desert machine, and we are excited to race in a few more races this year ourselves!

As for me not being Factory this year, that was my decision (and a difficult one) and it was purely business.......I still bleed blue, still run Yamaha stickers, still race my YXZ (Jason is racing this year in LOORRS, too!), and still have a great relationship with Yamaha, etc. :) I think Yamaha has a very talented, very fast field of racers this year in their UTV stable, and it will be fun watching my fellow YXZ racers all season in their respective classes! I am racing Lucas Oil Regionals in both classes, some desert races, and hopefully a TORC race or two again this season as well as doing other cool stuff like going to Australia for a Yamaha Australia media event next week, and other events throughout the year. :)

It's good to see ALL of the OEMs stepping up and being competitive with racing and with new products, etc.....I love the momentum that continues to grow in this industry, and the excitement I see on a daily basis from everyone involved. It's truly a blessing to be a part of such a fun and exciting world!! :)
Hope to see you in Elk River again Corry. If I had to guess your two TORC stops your hoping to make would be the ERX Race and the Big House. Hope to see you at both again.

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
The Yamaha does good in the desert. I raced my first AVE rave and overalled it in a YXZ with bone stock suspension. Last year the YXZ did very good in the AVE desert series. I will be racing BITD as soon as I get a fuel cell figured out so that will be one more Yamaha in the mix.
your going to be in for a big eye opener the Ave series is a great series but the courses are a paved freeway compared to the BITD courses especially when we run with cars and trucks. keep kicking butt out there.

Reactions: dezertracer

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
I cant wait, well not for the getting beat up in the car but to finally be able to get out and race a BITD
And please don't take my post wrong the stock platform is awesome but if you want to push hard and be competitive in Bitd and others a stock platform of any utv manufacturer won't cut it is all I ment . Can't wait to see another Yamaha out there

Ratoutahell

Sep 21, 2014
Western Colorado
And please don't take my post wrong the stock platform is awesome but if you want to push hard and be competitive in Bitd and others a stock platform of any utv manufacturer won't cut it is all I ment . Can't wait to see another Yamaha out there
Jeremiah I am surprised Yamaha has not offered you anything...I know when I think of Yamaha and desert racing I think of you first! You are basically carrying the flag for Yamaha in the desert as far as I am concerned! And you do quite well lol

dezertracer

May 22, 2016
I completely agree, Getting the suspension done is on the LONG list of things to do. I still have a lot to learn as a driver.

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
Jeremiah I am surprised Yamaha has not offered you anything...I know when I think of Yamaha and desert racing I think of you first! You are basically carrying the flag for Yamaha in the desert as far as I am concerned! And you do quite well lol
thank you that's awesome as we were the first BItd /score legal Yamaha built and to race. we will keep pushing on.

Reactions: Ratoutahell

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
Not true! The Murray Racing Can Am X3 #917 is bone stock except for mandatory safety components. It won V2R in unlimited Class last year. It's been run now about 2000 racing miles with no DNF's including SCORE's Rosarito Challenge and we just got 2nd place at the Mint 400 in the Pro Turbo Class. The stock set up is great but must be driven properly to do well. If you don't believe me come by the shop in Anaheim and check it out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000