XPT Primary wearing out

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Just giving a heads up that the plastic sliders in the primary clutch are wearing out the aluminum on the primary where the sliders rub. Below are pictures of mine with 500 miles on it. I saw one at the dealership today that only had 104 miles and 10 hours on it and it had noticeable grooves in the aluminum that you could feel with your finger. Polaris seems to be sticking their head in the sand about the issue so far. Polaris denied my claim for a new primary, but then said that they would on good faith replace the three plastic sliders. The dealer and I looking at my primary and talking about it, he said that replacing the sliders will only probably last 100 miles because of the gouging in the primary.

Has anybody else noticed the same thing on theirs? Anybody have any solutions for this? Are any vendors working on better sliders that will self lubricate as they wear and that are actually softer than The aluminum so they'll wear out and not the actual primary?

My dealer did advise me that I should blow the CVT system out after each ride or at least each day, and then clean it with electronics cleaner. So I'm going to start doing that. I'm also going to put a four-inch hose from the CVT cover all the way into the bed, because the stock hose necks down to 3 inches where it goes through the bed. I'm going to go to run an air filter on that and see if that helps me get more than 5 to 700 miles out of a primary clutch.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Seems like some steel plates with teflon bolted to the aluminum clutch would solve your wear issue. You could replace the steel and sliders alot cheaper than the whole clutch.

So hows the xpt compare to the old mav?

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i saw one at the races this last weekend that had that plastic triangular shoe broke in half on a new stock car with 55 miles. i hope its not an issue once we get the clutches sorted out. yours are clearly full of belt dust and sand. are you running with the cover off or on? that much abrasive grit between the shoe and the aluminum is clearly not the way to go

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Mike, good idea you got there! You got me thinking !

The ride in this car is excellent! The wheelbase and 4" extra travel in the back makes all the difference!

Adam, the plastic wearing the aluminum is going happen no matter what tuning you do! It's a design flaw, IMHO.

And yes, all that crap sitting in there is very bad. Thing is, centrifugal force holds it in there. So the only way to get rid of it is to take the cover off and blow it out all the time! I was wondering if it would be possible to drill a couple holes in that part of the primary so that the dust could sling out instead of accumulating?

I've been running with the cover on. Only one trip to Glamis, the rest in the desert.

Last edited:

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
well originally when i looked at the pix it appeared as if they were melting, which they can and will do if you start slipping a belt badly and dont let out of the throttle. i have seen them melt. which clutch calibrations can fix all the slipping.

yours is definitely full of dust and sand which has turned black from belt dust. the abrasive mix is definitely hard on aluminum parts. maybe its simply beacause of the sand you guys ride in out west we arent seeing the exact same things on the cross country racers back east. belt dust is common but i havent seen one wear out the clutch yet.

with how that tower of the primary is built i dont really think it would hurt it to drill 1/4" holes opposing each other in the side of the tower to let all the belt dust sling out of there. i cant say i have done it or will do it but i dont think it will hurt the clutch. there is a ton of meat there and the engine harmonics isnt as bad with this engine as the older XP1Ks so i dont thing you will have any additional harmonic distortion or resonance in the clutch with drilling a little weight out.

i tried uploading pic of the one that was broken but this forum beat me again.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Working with a rental company in Sedona, Az., we tested and proved that adding true pre-filtration to the CVT system extends belt and clutch life. We have been working to prove the same on the XPT and have a pre-filter kit that works on both the XP1000 and XPT. Also maintaining cooler temperatures by promoting exhaust flow also has a dramatic effect. Here's our kits....
Regards,

This is our pre-filter kit.... Comes with 4" outlet filter and aluminum adapter that mount directly to the rubber intake tube on both the CVT and engine intake. The filters are dry elements that are serviced by blowing them out. Capable of supporting over 800hp, so no restriction there.

Our Quick Draw kit come in a race version or "Full Force" version (pictured) for the XP1000 that has a high flow high cfm fan that draws excess heat from the cover. Proven in Ultra4 series and GNCC. We are currently testing them on the XPT and should have the available shortly.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Airdam..... You really know your stuff. Do you think putting a mirror polish on both the riding surface and the sliders themselves would resolve some of these issues?

Reactions: Glamisfan

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
No Glamis for me this weekend. Polaris is making me go in circles trying to get them to install a new primary. 3 dealer visits, 3 customer service calls. SMH

Last edited:

jdrew1965

Oct 28, 2015
This does suck!

I am going to give my opinion. It is just that, an opinion and not an accusation. This damage looks as though someone spayed your clutch with an oily lube at some point for some reason. This would cause any duct or sand or debris that could enter the clutch housing to stick to that oily lube. Once any debris sticks to lube whether it is aerosol, clear or what have you. With a clutch that constantly slides throughout the rpm range this is going to cause damage.

Your clutch must remain dry and oil free, especially in the desert. If you go out in the rain or while it is very damp. Moisture is going to be in the clutch and that can collect dust and sand. It really sucks! I feel your pain and I am not taking Polaris side. All of us must share information and that is all I am trying to do.

Check your clutch before or after you ride. Get a clutch cover pin set to ease removing the cover. On these clutch checks all utv owners should be doing; make sure the clutch is clean. Remove the belt, wipe down the sheaves and ensure the primary and secondary are oil and grease free. Check the clutch exhaust for blockage and never spray any of your clutch parts with tap water. The sediment and calcium is such a bad element for your machine.

This may not prevent the XPT clutch issue but it is the one thing you can do to make sure your clutch is getting what it needs.... YOUR EYES AND ATTENTION. The aftermarket world is coming with solutions.

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I assure you no one sprayed an oily lube on the cvt system. The 3 channels that the sliders ride in don't let the dust escape due to centrifugal force.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
No Glamis for me this weekend. Polaris is making me go in circles trying to get them to install a new primary. 3 dealer visits, 3 customer service calls. SMH
Buy a popo he said. It'll be great he said.... How's the xds lookin about now? But seriously, sorry about your luck.. Hopeful they'll make it right

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Can Am customer service was great when I had a problem! Night and day difference! I honestly wish I would have waited for that stupid new Artic Cat coming out...........

RIVERBRAT

Feb 20, 2012
Lake Havasu City
Glamisfan, do you really regret buying this car? Reason I am asking is that I'm looking at getting a Turbo Rzr4 next week... Of course the dealer and the popo website talk the turbo up, Polaris claims this whole car is beefed up with a lot of changes.. I went in to the dealer with no intention to buy the Turbo, I just wanted a regular 4seater. Well they don't know when they can get me the Sunset red n/a version so I started looking at the Turbos. He talked a good talk like the Turbo was the best thing out. I just want to make sure I make a wise choice. I'm going from a 2014 2 seat base Maverick. I had a 2013 rzr xp900 and I liked that but wanted to try the Mav and now I need a 4 seater so I have looked at both Can Am and Polaris. There is definitely things I like about each one but the maintenance on the Maverick sucks! Polaris seems to be a lot easier to work on and it has way better suspension! So any input from you or anyone else that owns a Turbo Rzr would be greatly appreciated.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
THey make the Polaris easier to work on for a reason.
If you haven't been in a turbo Mav, you need to. The updates that can am made on the '15 and '16 turbos are a game changer. The clutching is spot on now. The redesigned rear suspension geometry is perfect. It does need to be resprung and revalved, but all sxs do from the factory.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
It's a big investment for sure. However I've had buddies who've put over 1000 miles on their na xps without a single problem

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I love this car. Suspension is absolutely amazing. It looks incredible with a cage and tires and all the graphics removed. I'm just really disappointed with the primary clutch and popo' response so far.

When I bought my 2013 Maverick, I knew that the primary had been a problem on the quads and Commander due to the 2-piece design. It failed, warranty replaced it, and I bought an aftermarket primary.

Popo has a good rep in their cvt system, other then a few too many blown belts. So this caught me by surprise and I'm pissed! Plus, there is only one aftermarket company making primaries so far for it, and they cost 1300-1700. I paid 700 for the Maverick's.

I wasn't happy with the Mavericks suspension or wheelbase, so I was kinda happy when ins. totaled it out. It wasn't a keeper. This car is a keeper. Most definitely.

One more thing. There's only a handful of us with verified primary wear. And then yesterday a guy with 670 miles posted a pic of his primary, and it looks good. And it has a much different wear pattern then mine. So now I'm really wondering if it's just a bad batch of soft aluminum? Here's the pics. Top is the other guys that looks what I'd guess Popo expects them to wear like. Bottom pic is mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000