XP1K vs Maverick turbo

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
I am shopping these two models and have no chance of driving either before purchase. My main question is on handling. Several people have told me complaints about the 1K understeering. With the amount of race winning 1k's out there I feel that if the vehicle does have an understeer issue that it must be pretty easy to overcome. I am a woods racer/rider so precise steering is a must. Anyone want to comment on handling differences between the two? I am comparing the NA RZR vs the Mav. turbo because the used cost of each is pretty comparable where I live. Race winning cars are pretty evenly split between the two for my application.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I don't think the XP 1000 has any under steer. They do have a little body roll in stock form but that is kind of the nature of the beast when you have suspension that works in rough terrain and it is easily fixed with an aftermarket sway bar.

This is the article that made me go with the 1K over the Maverick Turbo. 15 seconds faster in a 8 mile loop says a lot about how much better the RZR works in rough terrain.

http://www.utvdriver.com/reviews/20...-vs-2015-polaris-rzr-xp-1000-eps-utv-shootout

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
the maverick will corner harder because of its suspension. it loads the weight to the outside rear wheel and makes it hook and turn corners hard.

the RZR has a bit of a push in the front end and is a little long. the weight bias in the XP1000 is a bit off for woods racing. the fastest i have ever seen an XP1000 run in the woods and short course, needed custom shorter rear arms and lots of suspension work to make it handle and run thru the woods fast. yes they can be fast, and yes they win races everywhere but the XP1000 needs more work straight out of the box to be able to handle as good as a maverick in the woods. the maverick just turns so much tighter and so much more precise in the woods.

the maverick turbo is in a class of its own in the woods. with simple mods like a reflash and clutch tune, you can go out with a box stock maverick turbo and hurt everyone feelings. their handling in the woods around the trees is something that the RZR cant match. the maverick plants in the corners better and hangs the turns like nobodys business. BUT it does feel a bit more top heavy and sketchy at high speeds.

in the desert, there is no doubt who is king, simply because of the wheel base and suspension travel as the link posted above shows. the RZR has the wheel base and suspension for the desert.

in the woods its 100% the other way around!

Reactions: jajl22

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i saw some of the GNCC guys who were dead set on their XP900 swap over to the 900S this year. i assume its shorter wheel base and different style suspension that makes it handle and corner harder.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
the maverick will corner harder because of its suspension. it loads the weight to the outside rear wheel and makes it hook and turn corners hard.

the RZR has a bit of a push in the front end and is a little long. the weight bias in the XP1000 is a bit off for woods racing. the fastest i have ever seen an XP1000 run in the woods and short course, needed custom shorter rear arms and lots of suspension work to make it handle and run thru the woods fast. yes they can be fast, and yes they win races everywhere but the XP1000 needs more work straight out of the box to be able to handle as good as a maverick in the woods. the maverick just turns so much tighter and so much more precise in the woods.

the maverick turbo is in a class of its own in the woods. with simple mods like a reflash and clutch tune, you can go out with a box stock maverick turbo and hurt everyone feelings. their handling in the woods around the trees is something that the RZR cant match. the maverick plants in the corners better and hangs the turns like nobodys business. BUT it does feel a bit more top heavy and sketchy at high speeds.

in the desert, there is no doubt who is king, simply because of the wheel base and suspension travel as the link posted above shows. the RZR has the wheel base and suspension for the desert.

in the woods its 100% the other way around!
This has been my experience with these units exactly.

The T-mavs corner hard and fast...sometimes too hard and fast haha!PART_1420216438912_20150102_073647.jpg PART951420216458851952015010295073702.jpg

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Front steer tires cause problems like that also.

Sent from my Magic Wand!

CSG

Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
I thought I might bring this back up and give some of my findings as I ended up purchasing both. It is not a fair comparison though as I re-worked the Maverick shocks before I even drove it. Obviously the Mav has more power so I am not even going to discuss that.

With out a question the RZR is more plush. Along with this comes a lot of front end dive coming off throttle, even worse when in the brakes and a lot of rear transfer when on the throttle. The maverick feels a lot shorter, does not do any weird feeling weight transfer and carves the turns hard.

The Maverick has much less front bump steer. I have not measured rear toe/camber migration so I will not comment on that.

My last race was in the 1K and my next will be in the Mav so if anyone cares I can add more info after that.

Reactions: tatum

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I thought I might bring this back up and give some of my findings as I ended up purchasing both. It is not a fair comparison though as I re-worked the Maverick shocks before I even drove it. Obviously the Mav has more power so I am not even going to discuss that.

With out a question the RZR is more plush. Along with this comes a lot of front end dive coming off throttle, even worse when in the brakes and a lot of rear transfer when on the throttle. The maverick feels a lot shorter, does not do any weird feeling weight transfer and carves the turns hard.

The Maverick has much less front bump steer. I have not measured rear toe/camber migration so I will not comment on that.

My last race was in the 1K and my next will be in the Mav so if anyone cares I can add more info after that.
Thanks for posting! Can't wait for you to share more.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
the RZR 1000S with a few mods will run like the wind. this post was from a year ago. and this year we got to test the RZR 1000S with dual TB and cams and head work and larger intake system and reflash and BOY was it fast!! the a-arm rear suspension definitely corners much harder than the trailing arm system. in the woods on my track, the 1000S is considerably quicker than a stock XP1000 simply because you can pitch it sideways full throttle into a corner and without the rear spinning out, or the front end pushing, it carves and goes.

however, a mav turbo with a reflash and clutch work holds the track record here at my place. by a considerable margin next to the closest SxS which was a fully built XP1000, shortened rear arms, perfect suspension and clutching and tire setup on a perfect day with an award winning pro trophy truck driver. the track record stood for over a year by a customer with his race XP1000 untill cody taylor got his hands on a turbo maverick and did some tweaks. he built an untouchable race SxS out of the turbo mav.

CSG

Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
I raced the turbo Mav. Saturday for the first time. I have to agree that the XP in stockish form is not even close to the Mav in the woods. The Mav was so much easier to drive. The chassis was better when braking and turning and of course the power is better. I got a great start but lost the steering wheel on about turn 3 so spent the hour working my way back up as best I could manage. I will have to build a war hammer for the next one as I got held up by an XP for WAY to long...

Cool_Racer_79

Sep 10, 2016
I raced the turbo Mav. Saturday for the first time. I have to agree that the XP in stockish form is not even close to the Mav in the woods. The Mav was so much easier to drive. The chassis was better when braking and turning and of course the power is better. I got a great start but lost the steering wheel on about turn 3 so spent the hour working my way back up as best I could manage. I will have to build a war hammer for the next one as I got held up by an XP for WAY to long...
Hey CSG, I'm trying to decide which one to buy 2016 Maverick Turbo, 2016 RZR1000S or 2017 YXZ SS SE. I've owned numerous ATVs and Bikes but never a UTV. Can you give me your personal opinion as of which one will be the most reliable and least expensive on maintenance? I believe all three of them are excellent machines in their own way but they all have flaws. I'm just trying to decide which one it the most reliable and cheaper to maintain. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
the Yamaha will be cheaper. they are trying to give those things away now. their stock clutch is still garbage and needs mods to get it past 300 miles before you burn it up. they REALLY need the lower gear ratio trans setup that is available from multiple vendors as well as Yamaha themselves now. They need the gear reduction trans just to be nice and drivable for anything in the woods or trails. Dont buy it if you plan on actually woods racing it or cross country racing it. you wont ever get the suspension to do what you want, and it will never be as fast as the polaris in cross country. short course is a different story because of their wheel base and suspension design, they will take a corner 10mph faster than a polaris. which is why they are destroying everyone in short course. GR transmission, reflash, and in short course they are lethal. but for cross country, they are slow. That pro trophy truck driver that held my lap record for a year, sold his RZR1000 and bought two yamaha machines last year. hes done everything you can do to them, spent days out with fox testing shocks, has had George White try multiple times to get it to his liking and still cant make the suspension do what he wants for cross country. a few months ago at one of the cross country races here, he got beat, by most of the upper A class and by a relative new-comer in the lower B class in a 900RZR. the yamaha is great for some things, racing thru the woods they arent going to put you on the podium.

the maverick in my opinion needs the least amount of stuff to be a race winning machine. S3 powersports Dustin Jones is selling his cross country race maverick. typically he will lap everyone in B class, and sometimes lap all the way up to 5th place in A class. everyone assumed it was the machine was built to the hilt and the other day when he listed it and the list of mods everyone was shocked. its a reflash, intake, exhaust, and clutched 100% stock mav turbo with suspension tweaks and a cage and doors. literally the least amount of mods on a machine that is at the top of the box every race. He raced this last weekend, got jumbled up in the start and at the holeshot a guy with a built up turbo RZR got out front and went into the woods 100 yards ahead of dustin. Dustin went into the woods in 3rd place. towards the end of the first lap, dustin came out of the woods first and it was almost 45 seconds before 2nd place came out behind him. that turbo mav will walk the dog in the corners and trails. it carves, handles, turns, and cuts like that was its sole mission. with minimal mods a mav turbo is tough to beat in any sort of racing.

the RZR1000S is no slouch out of the gate. its stock clutch needs help if you plan to race it, and the suspension and swap bars and shocks need some love too, and you need to beef up a few things, but they are surprisingly quick. they arent as confortable as the maverick nor do they ride as good, nor are they as fast in a straight line. but i am sure they are prob quite a few grand cheaper. to take one of the 1000S and make it hang with the NA maverick in the woods you need to do mods to it. not because its under powered, but just because it still isnt as fast as the maverick. a maverick turbo compounds the gap because they are faster in a straight line and so easy to reflash and get another 20-40hp out of.

personally it depends on you. your budget, and what you expect out of it. if you plan to race any of them you will find things like Tie rods, bolts, motor mounts, hubs, bearings, all these things will fail and you will have to either find upgrades or constantly replace them if you want to race them. if you are looking for a fun trail ride just to sight-see then look towards the defender or general. both have upright seating which will help with your knees and a flat floor like the ranger. you dont have to crawl into them you can just step right in. they are both spunky with a 1000 engine and nearly 100hp. they both have a bed to carry things and both are relatively quick if you want to feel sporty every now and then

CSG

Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
Hey CSG, I'm trying to decide which one to buy 2016 Maverick Turbo, 2016 RZR1000S or 2017 YXZ SS SE. I've owned numerous ATVs and Bikes but never a UTV. Can you give me your personal opinion as of which one will be the most reliable and least expensive on maintenance? I believe all three of them are excellent machines in their own way but they all have flaws. I'm just trying to decide which one it the most reliable and cheaper to maintain. Thanks!

I have no experience with the Yamaha or the 1000S. I would do the Maverick though. You can pick up a new XDS Turbo pretty cheap (paid 15,900 for mine new). Quality seems to be better than the Polaris's I have owned.

Cool_Racer_79

Sep 10, 2016
the Yamaha will be cheaper. they are trying to give those things away now. their stock clutch is still garbage and needs mods to get it past 300 miles before you burn it up. they REALLY need the lower gear ratio trans setup that is available from multiple vendors as well as Yamaha themselves now. They need the gear reduction trans just to be nice and drivable for anything in the woods or trails. Dont buy it if you plan on actually woods racing it or cross country racing it. you wont ever get the suspension to do what you want, and it will never be as fast as the polaris in cross country. short course is a different story because of their wheel base and suspension design, they will take a corner 10mph faster than a polaris. which is why they are destroying everyone in short course. GR transmission, reflash, and in short course they are lethal. but for cross country, they are slow. That pro trophy truck driver that held my lap record for a year, sold his RZR1000 and bought two yamaha machines last year. hes done everything you can do to them, spent days out with fox testing shocks, has had George White try multiple times to get it to his liking and still cant make the suspension do what he wants for cross country. a few months ago at one of the cross country races here, he got beat, by most of the upper A class and by a relative new-comer in the lower B class in a 900RZR. the yamaha is great for some things, racing thru the woods they arent going to put you on the podium.

the maverick in my opinion needs the least amount of stuff to be a race winning machine. S3 powersports Dustin Jones is selling his cross country race maverick. typically he will lap everyone in B class, and sometimes lap all the way up to 5th place in A class. everyone assumed it was the machine was built to the hilt and the other day when he listed it and the list of mods everyone was shocked. its a reflash, intake, exhaust, and clutched 100% stock mav turbo with suspension tweaks and a cage and doors. literally the least amount of mods on a machine that is at the top of the box every race. He raced this last weekend, got jumbled up in the start and at the holeshot a guy with a built up turbo RZR got out front and went into the woods 100 yards ahead of dustin. Dustin went into the woods in 3rd place. towards the end of the first lap, dustin came out of the woods first and it was almost 45 seconds before 2nd place came out behind him. that turbo mav will walk the dog in the corners and trails. it carves, handles, turns, and cuts like that was its sole mission. with minimal mods a mav turbo is tough to beat in any sort of racing.

the RZR1000S is no slouch out of the gate. its stock clutch needs help if you plan to race it, and the suspension and swap bars and shocks need some love too, and you need to beef up a few things, but they are surprisingly quick. they arent as confortable as the maverick nor do they ride as good, nor are they as fast in a straight line. but i am sure they are prob quite a few grand cheaper. to take one of the 1000S and make it hang with the NA maverick in the woods you need to do mods to it. not because its under powered, but just because it still isnt as fast as the maverick. a maverick turbo compounds the gap because they are faster in a straight line and so easy to reflash and get another 20-40hp out of.

personally it depends on you. your budget, and what you expect out of it. if you plan to race any of them you will find things like Tie rods, bolts, motor mounts, hubs, bearings, all these things will fail and you will have to either find upgrades or constantly replace them if you want to race them. if you are looking for a fun trail ride just to sight-see then look towards the defender or general. both have upright seating which will help with your knees and a flat floor like the ranger. you dont have to crawl into them you can just step right in. they are both spunky with a 1000 engine and nearly 100hp. they both have a bed to carry things and both are relatively quick if you want to feel sporty every now and then
Thanks for the info!!! I'm not that old nor that jacked up to get defender or ranger, lol.

I will not compete but I want an aggressive machine that I can push to the limits. I'm an adrenaline junkie and love gears. But based on what you have told me I will probably buy a Maverick Turbo XRS. If not I will get the YXZ1000R SS SE. I love the way the RZR 1000S looks but I think they have to many quality issues.

CSG

Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
I will add that whatever the reason I did not push this CanAm anything like I did the 1K. It just seemed like I had to beat the crap out of the 1K to keep up. I ran the B class at this last race (4th in class 9th overall) and ran the fastest lap in the class while driving around 85%. Hope to keep the steering wheel on and get some bumpers for the next one, so I can have more than one fast lap and get up closer to the front.

Reactions: Cool_Racer_79

Cool_Racer_79

Sep 10, 2016
I will add that whatever the reason I did not push this CanAm anything like I did the 1K. It just seemed like I had to beat the crap out of the 1K to keep up. I ran the B class at this last race (4th in class 9th overall) and ran the fastest lap in the class while driving around 85%. Hope to keep the steering wheel on and get some bumpers for the next one, so I can have more than one fast lap and get up closer to the front.
I take that you seem to like the Maverick better than the RZR!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000