XP1K or T Rex 2

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
I'm thinking between an xp4 900 and T4. I like sportiness of RZR but the durability and components used on kawi. I need to ride in the new kawis or a lti one. I have only been in stock T2 but from 2010 model.

Wish it had more power like my turbo RZR and seating was lower.

I love the bigger bed on Teryx and the comfort is nice with Twisted stitch seats.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
actually im going through the same dilema. basicialy it comes down to this. your going to ride desert right? same here, i ride johnson valley only. i dont do glamis. you have to decide if you want a jeep or a trophy truck. a rzr 1000 would be kick ass for jumping, or whoops. but i want to replace my rock crawler TJ jeep. basically the teryx is a jeep that fits in a toy hauler. that sold it for me. :cool:

Baxter

Sep 24, 2011
OHIO
actually im going through the same dilema. basicialy it comes down to this. your going to ride desert right? same here, i ride johnson valley only. i dont do glamis. you have to decide if you want a jeep or a trophy truck. a rzr 1000 would be kick ass for jumping, or whoops. but i want to replace my rock crawler TJ jeep. basically the teryx is a jeep that fits in a toy hauler. that sold it for me. :cool:
Very good analogy.Same thing I basically tell my customers.Everything has it's fall backs and can be corrected.I'm not a Polaris fan but they do have a performance edge.Fit,finish,and durability for certain environments"my opinion",No.However anything can be modified to work.I've already seen several XP 900s fall victum to the style of riding I do.I have a brand new one coming next week to gusset the weak spots on the chassis and put a full cage on it.

LORENZ

Lorenz Industries - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
If you want to go fast and have $22,000 to spend there are better options than an XP1K.

A T2 can be had for $11,000 new. There is no comparison when it comes to how stout the Kawi is built compared to the others.

There is no better value out there than a Kawi Teryx. To ask for a comparison without including the fact that a T2 is about half the price at $11,000, AND the T2 is still in the hunt tells the story.

I spent $1600 on a used Long Travel kit for my Kawi T4, and it hangs with XP1k 4 seat in the dunes this weekend no problem. I was running without paddles all weekend to boot. Sure I couldn't make it up China wall, but performance was close enough that I was faster than other SXS on a dune ride if I wanted to be. There's no marked track in the dunes so cutting low on the face of dunes will get you past cars with 2x the horse power and they won't know what just happened. The challenge is amazingly fun, the satisfaction of out driving a higher power car is priceless. In the rocky desert, the advantage of having more power in an XP is even smaller. If you make a mistake at speed on hard pack, the results are harsh, thus the guy with more power is still checking up.... Unless he isn't... At that point you should be on the Race Track in a Race Car. And even then the Kawi Teryx platform is still the UTV of choice with a ZX-10 street bike motor in it.

Attachments

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
If you want an apples to apples comparison at the $25,000 price point here it is.

I'll sell you this car for $25,000.

190hp ZX-10 motor
Vs
100hp Polaris motor

Full tube chassis Race car safety
Vs
Bolt together OEM chassis

Attachments

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
Here's my take. I'm a Teryx guy. Having said that, if I were to buy new today, I would by a 4 seat xp1k. Here's my reasoning. I spend at least 75% of my time in the sand. The xp1k has better suspension and power. The 4 seater has a long wheel base which really helps you through the whoops. And yes, the whoops are becoming more and larger. That's not going to change. But, you want an open desert machine. If that's the case, buy a T4. You will need to get some form of LT to get close the quality of ride of the xp1k, but will have a torquey motor and stout frame. The T4 is your best all around machine for sure. :)

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Driving ability in the dunes can make up for lack of hp , but at somepoint you are going to reach the limits of the T2/T4. While the T2/T4 is floored the entire time, the xp1000 is usually around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and up to 3/4 and occassional full throttle in long flats or big bowls. Once the dunes get steeper and the bowls start getting bigger the XP1000 is going to walk away.

A T2/T4 has it floored to make it around a big bowl and loses speed, the XP1000 gains speed around the bowls.

I have a friend with a 840 T2 with long travel. Sure he has the speed/power to hang , but he has a tough time because his wheelbase and suspesion has limits. When he follows me he says I hit stuff and the car does not bounce around so he thinks it all good then he hits it and sand is flying everywhere.

The combo of hp/tq, suspension, wheelbase and the bigger tires make the XP1000 a much better duning machine.

The T2/T4 are great machines and built like tanks.

It really does not matter what you drive as long as you are having fun.

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
I run at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle while duning my T4. If I'm at full throttle I've already lost the battle of keeping momentum.

My T4 out handles a stock Maverick in The dunes hands down. So did my 2009 Kawi T2. Both of my Kawasaki's had different brands of suspension and different shocks. Suspension tuning isn't rocket science, but it takes a little playing once your in the ball park depending on what terrain your in. I don't think the Can-Am is in the ball park out of the box from what little I've seen, though it should be an easy fix. The rear blows through travel on a stock Maverick. I didnt keep the same "shock tune" for KOH and the dunes when I took my T4 out, but I'm within a couple clicks to handle both types of terrain. That said, I know first hand most guys don't take the time to play with their suspension, even if external shock clickers are with-in easy reach.

Handling is a moot point because anything can be made to stomp whoops with a little elbow grease and Long Travel.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I run at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle while duning my T4. If I'm at full throttle I've already lost the battle of keeping momentum.

My T4 out handles a stock Maverick in The dunes hands down. So did my 2009 Kawi T2. Both of my Kawasaki's had different brands of suspension and different shocks. Suspension tuning isn't rocket science, but it takes a little playing once your in the ball park depending on what terrain your in. I don't think the Can-Am is in the ball park out of the box from what little I've seen, though it should be an easy fix. The rear blows through travel on a stock Maverick. I didnt keep the same "shock tune" for KOH and the dunes when I took my T4 out, but I'm within a couple clicks to handle both types of terrain. That said, I know first hand most guys don't take the time to play with their suspension, even if external shock clickers are with-in easy reach.

Handling is a moot point because anything can be made to stomp whoops with a little elbow grease and Long Travel.
Suspension tune makes a world of differnce and can allow you to carry speed much easier. Still do not see a T4 hanging with a XP1000 in the big dunes, without cutting lines.

I agree the Maverick stock needs some tuning to make it ride much better. It has the power, just not the suspension to keep up with the power.

Even my XP1000 needs tweaking in the suspension department. I have been playing with the compression adjustments and pre-load. It is close, but could use better valving. The front shock heat up pretty good on a long dune ride.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
My T4 gets around Glamis. Not the fastest. I have yet to have a good set of paddles on it. I only go to Glamis once or twice a year so the sand performance was not critical. I like desert and rock crawling. My T4 kicks ass in these condition. I am in the process of installing a 6" over long travel kit with Walker Evans adjustable shocks. This should really help the ride in the rough stuff and add some ground clearance for crawling. My lady in white. She loves the rocks. My Method wheels not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
and nobody is recommending the 6-wheel gator??? so sad.....what has this forum come to

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000