Who Here Has Actually Run the Baja 1000 in a UTV?

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I have been racing and chasing Baja since 2005 and we have never had anyone on the team that spoke spanish. It certainly doesn't hurt, but not imperative.
I'd agree with you it baja and the only rule is there are no rules. Speaking the language helps quite a bit especially if your dealing with the local or federal police. For allegedly running a stop sign which I'm 100% sure I didn't run I'm paid $20. Another on our team in a separate incident but the same infraction paid $250. Difference was I was more experienced and spoke Spanish to put up
a pretty good argument and show I wasn't scared. Other guys first time in Baja no spanish. It helps get you in tighter with the locals and your tacos how you like them. But I've not heard anyone that's able to explain that place accurately. I'm not sure it can be done.

jakecarver91

Nov 11, 2009
I am fairly new to Baja, I have only raced the 1000 twice and the 500 twice. Baja is 100x more work than any other race just as everyone has stated. Take water and warm clothes! lol I raced with a team in 2015 that had 4 chase trucks and an rzr for recovery and I still managed to camp out in the desert for 14 hours. The unexpected will happen and you WILL ask yourself why you thought it would be fun lol. In the end, it's all a great time and an experience like no other, but do not take it lightly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyAlaskan

Jan 20, 2017
Sorry guys, I did not mean to drop out of this thread after it took off with great pace! I was in working in D.C. at the time and have since moved back home to Alaska and am back at work. I finally have the time to sit down and plan out what I'd rather be doing than working. :)

I think the biggest thing I under estimated is the hell that the chase teams will go through.

I ended up talking to many people who reached out to me regarding this thread and again, I appreciate everything. It only took a handful of minutes to figure out that buying a used and proven rig would be the wisest way to start off. I'm currently chasing that plan actively. I'm lined up on several proven rigs, in race ready condition that could be stored for me until I could get down to pick it up. I have family in Phoenix and am working on making space to keep the rig and spares there. This would at bare minimum give me a base to work out of.

None the less, I was in the market for a newer RZR 1k, over my 2013 900, so going a bit further on the price and getting a baja capable rig isn't a sweat to me. Having it race ready and in the the Arizona region only helps make it a more and more logical choice.

On the bright side of this, 5 of the 6 of us involved are mechanics, 3 of us working out remote bush villages in Alaska year around. We are used to working in the middle of no where, with everything going wrong. Nothing is available and everything is a couple days away. Does that make it a cake walk? No, but I think it gives much better odds of being self sufficient in worst case scenarios. Everyone being a wrench hand certainly helps.

The biggest challenges facing a group of first timers is logistics and planning. I know Baja Pits is a logical choice, so I'm wondering how much we can rely on that and aim for meeting our chase vehicles for driver swaps etc.

With a group of us located in Alaska, I wonder if it makes more sense to look into renting E 350s/Sprint vans in the US or Mexico if possible, and using them and which ever vehicle trailers in from the US with the rig.

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions. Without a couple rigs in mind but no certain plan yet, the options would be hitting up a smaller race this summer/fall and maybe one in the spring before aiming for the 2018 B1K. But with the hype of the 50th, there is a lure of being there, even if we get our teeth kicked in.

Reactions: Glamisfan

dezertracer

May 22, 2016
Im in the same boat as the CrazyAlaskan but im going at it a little different being that I live in SoCal. I am starting to race the PURE series to get some experience behind the wheel and also my son as my navigator we have alot to learn together. I have a few friends that are also learning how to run the pits. I am slowly building my car in the garage myself as we go. The nice thing about running the PURE races is that they have entry level bone stock class up to the pro production class. the bad part is the cost of building a car and maintaining it while you are racing gets expensive and very time consuming but im getting experience as I go. I plan to race the BITD series next year and the following year I would like to try my hand at the BJ500 or the 1000. We did our first race at PURE with handled radios for a com system, my poor kid was doing his best holding the radio to his helmet trying to give me directions. We had a blast at our first race and learned a ton. We won the pro production class and overalled the race as well. I look forward to racing the bigger series with the big teams after i get some experience and workout the car. From what ive learned with my extremely short experience with desert racing is start small and get to know your car inside and out as well as getting a team together that also knows the car very good.

Reactions: BajaBoundMoto

acme

Jul 21, 2015
If you want to race Baja, race Baja! I know a number of beginners who mutteled through it and finished but as Mr Carver said: It's a lot more effort than some other racing, however the reward is sweeter. Baja racing presents some unique challenges that you'll never expect and can't replicate anywhere but in Baja and as a few have suggested, it's good to get your feet wet first.

No dog in this fight but: Having raced BITD & SCORE (and all the other orgs) for years; Bitd is no comparison to Baja. IMHO BITD is overrated (sans the Parker 425 and V2R) and the Mint is like watching a toilet flush. It goes around and round the same old Primm circle over and over... but hey you get the mm dog and pony show 40 miles from the race course if you like that deal.

At least MORE and SNORE both offer some unique courses but the herd seems to gravitate toward BITD. Coco will tell you (and he has a B1K pt 2 pt 1st place trophy as a navigator in a 7s truck and he went the whole way in the right seat), the best tune up races to get ready for a 500 or B1K are the RECORD and CODE racing series in Baja. Both are local, low-key series and the next best thing to the SF250 for getting you up to speed in racing and Baja.

Prep is the key to success in Baja or in any racing, with both the vehicle & logistically. Winging it works if you're lucky and sometimes you get lucky; but in Baja you really do make your own luck... Knowing the areas, the lay of the land and having an understanding of what's up is huge and you won't get that at stateside races.

Read the Stickys "What about you" & Kent Kroekers post as they will tell you a lot about what to expect. Maybe volunteer to pit for a car or UTV team to get your feet wet.

Matt, Jim and Reid said it best: Baja is Magical and expect the unexpected! Coco and I would always joke: "We're racing a car in Baja for 500 miles with our friends and family, what could possibly go wrong". Answer: Anything and everything and we have memories and experiences that will last our lifetime...

I know this will get rocks thrown at me but... a class like 1600 has a lower initial buy in and most guys can make them last 500/1000 miles with a solid prep and it may be a cost effective option to a UTV. And most 1600's motor through all the bottlenecks after the herd unblocks the course...

FYI, you don't need fluent Spanish speakers hired or in each car; just competent, sober, adults who can make good decisions and have strong situational awareness.

Last edited:

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Throw back to my first Baja 500 Race Report

What in the world would make a grown man pee his pants and sit in those pee pants all day you ask ?
A practical joke?
A weak Bladder?
A few Bucks from a bet?
Hell No ……
But, to be an off road racer you will have do what it takes. You know.. because risking your life is not enough. Racing thru silt beds when you can’t see your hand in front of your face is not enough. Driving down dirt roads at high rates of speed not knowing what’s around the next corner or over the next Mountain, is not enough. You will stop at NOTHING. Nothing means anything to beat your competition to the finish line by any means necessary.
And why do we do this you ask?
That is a good question. There is no Pile of Money for you at the Finish Line. There is not your favorite meal waiting for you at the Finish Line. There is however a Lady that was nice enough to stay up and do an interview with you and hand you a couple of hats and a couple of Medals all the while she insults your Race car and calls it a cute little golf cart thingy.
Let me tell you a little more of the story of Team UTVinc. We decided we wanted to do some off road racing. So we entered our first race a couple of months ago and had a blast. The race was thr Silver State 300 and we finished the race in 7th place. We had learned a lot during this virgin run as we had never done this before. We quickly learned the most famous lesson of all: everything that could go wrong, does go wrong. Hell, we had never done this before. We learned a lot and figured we would try our hands at the Baja 500. This course is 500 miles of the most brutal dirt roads that in my mind should not even been called roads.
Anyway back to the pee pants… most Men wear an external catheter thingy that, lol, is installed like a condom and has a sticky glue that seals to keeps it on your, well you know. Anyway that is what it is supposed to do. So when you got to go you just let ‘er rip and it runs out a rubber hose that you run down your pants leg. Well now, that’s the plan ok, so now you all understand how a guy can drive an off road race machine for 8 hours without stopping for more the a few minutes for gas.
Team UTVinc plans to spend thousands of dollars as well as months of planning to prepare for the Score International Baja 500. We show up to the Baja 500, acting like we’re the future winners with it in the bag. That is just the competitive nature of humans I think. Do we do it all just for a pat on the back from our peers? Hell, I don’t know but we do it and come back for more.
The morning of the race we are afraid to eat. We also do not want a bunch of food in our bellies before we tackle the most grueling 500 miles of desert at around 11AM. Oh, did I mention we are in Mexico? Did I also mention that my hotel faces a street that has a non-stop party going on? It has bell,s sirens and blasting music coming from all directions. My hotel room wall must have be made of cardboard as it was echoing in my room louder than if I was standing in the mist of the party. Sleep is not in the books tonight. Anyhow, they start the race with a car off the starting line every 30 seconds. We roll up to the starting line waiting for the flag to drop. Waiting, waiting, waiting, GO! We are off and running, we come in to the third turn off the streets of Mexico that leads down to the canal. Our little fast tires screeching and screaming. We almost do not make the corner. Woooo!! Ok a ¼ mile or so down the canal they have built a nice jump, but we have never jumped it, so we don’t know what to expect. We were talking about hitting it at 40mph, but we didn’t have any crowds watching us at that time. The crowds of cheering people seem to make you do things you normally wouldn’t do. LOL. We hit that friend going 65mph and soared through the air! We land and all was well. We take off into the desert and we pass a couple of racers early on. We are doing great around mile 40 or so before we blew a corner and end up laying the UTV on its side. The awesome people from the crowd ran over and flipped us upright. We didn’t even have to get out of the car. We just started it back up and got back in the race, thanks to all those awesome people who helped us out!
It’s funny, but nothing mattered at this point. Not the huge bumps, rocks, dust, heat, death, nothing, not one thing. You’re at mile 40 or so and your mind is so busy scanning, planning, attacking and holding on for dear life you can’t even swallow. Your mouth is dry, it’s hard to reach your camelback but even if you could, you can’t take your hands or mind off the road. Not even for a second. Your buddy in the passenger seat is yelling out directions from the white line on your GPS screen. The line bends and turns he trying to interpret the line and feed you information the best he can, but he can’t see all of the rocks, boulders, cliffs, and drop-offs that this wonderful course has laid out in front of you.
So back to racing; We are doing good we think but around mile 60, boooommm!! I think WTF was that? We pull over and, oh ****, flat tire. We change it out with the spare we have and while we are parked a few racers get around us. Damn, now we are few spots down from where we were.
We pull onto the road we have to cross as we know we have planned a pit stop ahead. Gas, water and for the guys to look over the car. Everything goes well and we are off to the next 80 mile section. This section runs down the coast, “hell ya”. I think a drove on this road a week before and was able haul ass. Well, I am wrong. You see we started after about 200 other racers. The road is now covered with rocks that they have chewed up. It is not quite the same as when I preran the course. We are still doing well, and slowly catching others that had passed us during the tire change. We now think we are in 3rd place but really do not have a clue as time differences and every car looks to be the same.
Next thing you know there is the helicopter flying next to you filming. I tell my co driver ‘Damn, I told them not to follow me. I have a little problem when the heli gets around me. I don’t want to look slow so I go FASTER!’. LOL, ya I know, grow up show off. We get down to our next pit stop at around mile 160. Our chase truck is not around, uh oh. We try call on the 2 way radios that are kind of worthless and get no reply. Really? Really? I am trying to race here! We make the decision to drive to town and get in line at the Pemex Gas Station. Now, I am thinking I got to pee; remember the catheter thing I told you about? I just relax and pee but something doesn’t feel right.. oh damn, oh ****! The catheter came off, and you know just as well as I do what just happened.
So, we pull into the gas station and my co driver gets out and tells the lady ‘fill ‘er up’. I start taking off my fire suit so I can see what is going on. I got my underwear under my junk, I am half naked and reaching down my pant leg trying to find the hose all the while the gas station lady is standing right next to me trying to figure out what the I failed high school are these crazy white guys doing? My co-pilot, ill just tell you now cause I skirted around it a few times already, well his nickname is BONER. LOL, I know. I yell ‘Boner, lets go!!!” He gives the lady a $100.00 and gets back in the car. I never did find the hose so im fuc*** and my ass is already wet.
We drive back to the place we left the race course and we are back to racing again. We know we have lost a lot of time. We finally hear from our truck that he was stuck in traffic 30 or so miles out. Now this is where it gets fun. The race course turns from a foot to 3 feet deep, powdered dirt. There are dozens of cars waiting in line to get up these crazy silt trails. Every time a racecar goes up them they churn up a dust cloud. So thick you can’t even see your steering wheel! Now, once I get up this hill there is a race buggy stopped and trying to get up the next section. He cannot make it up the second hill. We are racing now, but there is no way this guy is going to make it. Now I am all in at this point, pee pants and all, so I pulled my, as the race announce lady called it ‘cute little golf cart’, up to this guys rear bumper and when he hit the gas, I hit the gas and pushed him far enough up the trail that I could skirt around him
Yap, there is more. We have about 60 miles to go and I start thinking again.. Really? Really? You guys are joking, what did you guys do with the race course? Where did you put it? This can’t be it, this is the Highway to Hell. I just had the **** beat out of me for 200 plus miles and this is what I had to look forward to? It is now O’ dark thirty but we plunge on all in at this point. Darkness with rocks, boulders, cliffs, and even a dead cow in the middle of the road, darkness.
Our next pit stop is at mile 260ish. We pull in after having the **** beat out of us and I am thinking why? Why? Why? This **** is brutal, we get out of the car for a driver and co dog change. In the process of looking over the car we find a bad uniball, or to those of you that don’t know, a bad part that will cause the car not to finish that last 160 miles. So the team starts working on it with some help from the pit crew and owner of Lonestar racing. I am semi dead at this point, and don’t really give a **** what happens. Except that I get out of this race fire suit and into some dry pants. LOL. We lost about 45 minutes more with that pit stop but we are still in 3rd place. Brian took over the driving and Craig took over Boners Job not real sure what happened after that, but we finished in 4th place!
That night, at around 3 am I went to bed thinking to myself; Why? Why did we do this? The next morning when I awoke, I was thinking ‘I wonder what the Baja 1000 is going to be like?’, we better start planning.
Thank you for all the support from the forum members, Facebook members, Instagram likers, Twitter tweeters and all our friends and family for reading these posts, and encouraging us to push our little golf cart to these extreme limits. All the companies who help make these projects what they are, our hats are off to you. Thank you as always to Joey, UTV Underground and the Mad Media crew for all the support and race coverage. Rigid Industries, thank you for keeping us running through the dead cow darkness. Lone Star Racing, Method Race Wheels, XTC Motorsports, BFGoodrich Tires, Fox Shox, Polaris Industries for building a machine to tackle the 500 miles of the worst terrain we have ever seen, and all you other wonderful people we are forgetting at the moment. Sorry, my brain is still a little shaken but not stirred from the race!
Here is to the next one!!

CrazyAlaskan

Jan 20, 2017
Johnny and Acme! Thank you for the responses! I've read enough experiences from people that raced the Baja without a fucking clue, that we have a slim chance at just finishing it. I really appreciate the "if you want it, do it" tone as I'm acting on it.

Your experiences sound like wonderful adventures and I can't wait to join in on that adventure. I completely understand the stark tone everyone is giving me as far as under estimating the amount of work needed. At this point, living in Alaska and wanting to do this morning than anything else in life, all I can do is bring a rig, a crew and just see how it crumbles.

I was recently reminded how precious this life is and hence why I'm moving this goal from bucket list to get it the fuck done list. I can hope to one day be rich enough to easily afford this, and young enough to participate, or I can just get it done while I'm young.

And I'm completely aware that this won't be a one and done deal. I'll be back for more beatings if its the only vacation I take from Alaska, every year.

The most intimidating thing about all of this is that buying a race ready rig might be the easiest part.

Being out of Alaska, the options to rent vehicles and driving into Mexico are a bit baffling. Lots of information on this site if I dig around and dezert.com.

With a good rig and Baja pits, it sounds like its a matter of figuring out crew changes/tire changes outside of standard pit support.

The average speed around 30-35mph if I remember correctly. It sounds like hours of survival more than anything.

Reactions: Johnny

acme

Jul 21, 2015
tRentals are not cheap and can get real pricey if you wad one up. Look up Pete at Baja Racing Adventures, TrophyLite does rentals, Wide Open which is owner by Roger Norman/SCORE, and I think VORE also does rentals in Baja.

Additional support: Baja Pits is great, we used Mag 7 as they provide dump cans and you can buy the fuel from them instead of providing it and BFG also has killer pit support to their teams...

Watch: Dust To Glory and Chasing the Horizon as they will give you great insight into WTF it's all about

Don't rule out another class as UTV's may not be the most cost effective (was that PC enough?)

I've been fortunate to race a number of times in Baja over the last 25 years; The wife and kid have as well and it's an interesting, common bond you share with people who have done it and get it. Kind of like surfing or from what I understand going into battle; once you do it and get it, it's part of your DNA and it lasts forever.

Johnny: I had a funny convo with an old time racer that had more miles than most ever will, who passed away. His spin was that life is truly complete and totally full circle for a desert racer: You're born, piss yourself, you mature and start desert racing and start pissing yourself all over again; then you retire from racing & live in your past glory, then eventually piss yourself until your gone. He said in life you always seemed to be pissing yourself or getting pissed on and he liked the first one better...

Food for thought: Where else can you piss your drawers and still get a hug from your buddies? Golf? Tennis? Drag Racing? Softball league?

Last edited:
Reactions: tatum and Johnny

CrazyAlaskan

Jan 20, 2017
tRentals are not cheap and can get real pricey if you wad one up. Look up Pete at Baja Racing Adventures, TrophyLite does rentals, Wide Open which is owner by Roger Norman/SCORE, and I think VORE also does rentals in Baja.

Additional support: Baja Pits is great, we used Mag 7 as they provide dump cans and you can buy the fuel from them instead of providing it and BFG also has killer pit support to their teams...
Thank you! I should have specified that I meant the rental of chase vehicles, so that our crew has wheels to get around. Wasn't sure on if I should rent in the US and roll through the border, or rent in Mexico. I will also be sure to look into Mag 7 as people speak well of them.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Another tidbit regarding support is Baja pits has small crews on the course during prerunning days.

Reactions: BajaBoundMoto

Factory UTV

FUTV - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Sacramento Ca
www.factoryutv.net
Had some buddies say fuck it, lets run the Baja 500 about 5 years ago. Not a very experienced crew and they ran an LS powered buggy (sorry not sure of the class). I lost one of my friends that race after their car broke and he hitched a ride in a truck to the next Check or pit. Truck rolled going up a hill, tossed and killed him. Suppose that can happen anywhere though. Maybe find a Baja vet to join your crew at least in an advisory role? I bet a vet would have instructed my buddy to stay with his damn car and wait for help! The co-dog did and he's still around to tell the story... RIP Nibbs

BajaBoundMoto

Jul 14, 2015
Escondido CA
www.BajaBoundMoto.com
So I was gonna post a technical question in another section, saw this thread, and now wasting(?) time when I should be working...

Some great info here @CrazyAlaskan
Some comments are out of line simply because people aren't considering your location.

IMO your best 1st Baja race experience (best is to just go to one of the big events and check it all out with no job to do) would be to do a rental program from one that was mentioned. Even consider a rental at an event in CA, AZ, or NV. Just something to get you some desert race experience. Maybe someone here would take you onto their UTV team and let you drive or right seat for a price.

After that, I agree to buy an already built RZR race ready. Building your own, especially being so far away, isn't going to be easy or cheap. I'm going thru this right now... we should be buying a built RZR but the $ man is die-hard Yamaha, and that alone complicates things. I am firm believer in copying what the Winners do for best success, and I've yet to see a YXZ win in Baja, but...

Going into the B1k, especially a full peninsula race, with your own full team (non rent) as a virgin is gnarly, a great way to throw away lots of cash, will be so confusing you'll be chasing your tail the entire time, will be more dangerous for your chase crew than for you on the course, will be intense like you've never felt before (unless you've been in combat), and is a good chance for failure.
If $$ is not an issue, go for it!

Do not even think about renting support trucks in Baja. I'm not even going to get into "why" not, just forget about it.
IF you want to rent trucks/vans do it in CA from CaBaja.com
I'm curious though how you would get all your supplies and race UTV to Baja if you're planning to rent trucks. I'd think you'd load a couple trucks and trailers with your race UTV, prerun UTV, and all spares and make the trek from AK (?).

I'm unclear what you meant about Mag7 or Baja Pits (both are good) doing your logistics. They do not do that, they do not chase you, they sorta can keep track of you.
All you should consider them for is for being every 60-70 miles on the course and putting gas in your car.
You can also use BFG Pits if you use BGF tires, but they're farther apart. The last B1k we used full service from both Mag7 and BFG, just in case, but of course didn't stop at all Mag7's (only at 1) and did stop at all BFGs.

I'm not a UTV racer, but I am talking from many decades of Baja racing and off-road experience (likely more than anyone alive), both top finishing and back marker, and doing 50+ race rental moto teams (not my personal racing) with people from all over of all skills (and perceived "skill") and having a 100% finish rate for those teams in Baja and NV.

Last edited:

CrazyAlaskan

Jan 20, 2017
Tim,

Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate the fact that you realize the additional issues with our location.

I also love the fact that this thread contains so much solid information. I think it will be very useful to people who end up Google searching as I was.

There is a chance I could make it to the Baja 500 this year, just to witness or lend a hand if someone would have me. It is far enough out that I could plan it with work. I'm sure this would at least be better than nothing as everyone suggests. Won't still get me caught up on the complexities of a peninsula run, but again, better than nothing. If my plans end up falling through for the B1K, I'd again be willing to fly down and be part of a group if someone would have me. I'm really pushing to make this year happen though, if possible.

Right now, I'm in discussion with several people about their rigs. Hoping to have an idea and lock one in by the end of the month. If that doesn't line up, then I may pull the plug for this year and just start stashing pennies again for 2018.

The main reason I was looking into rental vehicles is because as of now, the plan is to buy a rig in the lower 48 so we'd have at least one vehicle towing that to the race with the bulk of equipment, and not from Alaska, at least for the first year. I was simply thinking of how and where to acquire two additional vehicles to the crew. The idea being that a couple of us could head down early with race rig, trailer and main vehicle, with the rest of the bunch flying in to where ever we plan to get the additional vehicles. Once I know what and where we can rent the vehicles, I can figure out the number of seats available and who we can have on the team.

There is another Alaskan team going down, and they ran the Baja last year on a dirt bike and have been involved with several bajas before that. My friend in that group is the one who has successfully hooked me on the idea of running it myself, in a UTV. He has been a great source of information but when it comes to the finances and logistics of running the RZR, he can't shed too much light on it because of his familiarity with the dirt bike, only.

In the future, where the vehicle is actually located, someone would have to bite the bullet and head down a week early for the commute from Alaska to AZ. The idea being also that one person is making that trip versus asking the entire crew to take extra week off for the commute.

My reference to Baja Pits or Mag 7 for logistics was mostly in reference to the things the RZR will need to keep going forward under "normal" circumstances like fuel. With chase vehicles working to areas for crew changes/food etc.

I feel like with the course information released, and a rough idea of what kind of mileage we can expect out of the RZR, we'd just want to aim on having the chase crew meeting us at logical points along the track. The challenge of course, as pointed out by everyone here, is on the chase crews to be in the right place at the right time.

Add in the unexpected events that happen and well, you have the typically Baja experience.

Really appreciate everyone's advice and time on this thread. This is all encouraging to me, I want this too badly to not make it happen. Got live life while we got it.

dezertracer

May 22, 2016
Last years 1000 had a guy from Alaska racing a Yamaha YXZ and I think he is also racing the Mint this weekend. Im not sure his name but he would be a good person to talk to about logistics coming from Alaska.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Alex I think he could build his own if he had it built here locally. For example he could have Jimco build one like Matlock if he has the budget. Or he could have Rockstar build one like mine for a little less that imo is very capable. Regardless who builds or new/used it's going to come down to testing. Either he tests himself or has it tested and hope its ready Freddy. Do a local race first makes whole lotta sense. What if you find you can't stop throwing up in your helmet? lol I've actually heard that's happened....car for sale.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000