Who has the right helmet suggestion for this new crazy law???

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
According to this:

38601. A person shall not operate, or allow a passenger in, a recreational
off-highway vehicle unless the person and the passenger are wearing safety
helmets meeting the requirements established for motorcycles and motorized
bicycles pursuant to Section 27802.

and this:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27802.htm

The regulations shall include, but are not limited to, the requirements imposed by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 218 (49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.218) and may include compliance with that federal standard by incorporation of its requirements by reference.

and this:

http://www.bikersrights.com/nhtsa/fmvss218.html

That Simpson meets the standard by my analysis.
Dan ,Thanks for making it easy for us short bus guys . :D

tkrhino

Apr 23, 2012
In order for them to require a helmet that is of a certain style would mean another amendment to the law. Currently the law for helmets will go into effect jan 1, 2013. The part that does delay enforcement is the rear seats that are not factory installed. Also the feet touching the floor boards have been stricken from the law. The way the law stands now any dot approved helmet will be ok.

Also my personal option is that helmets suck and so does this law. But if you are not going to be an outlaw and continue to be taxed by California and abide by this law, a helmet that covers the ears, I believe make it more unsafe. At least if you don't wear headsets, by block another sensory from you. I know when I ride my dirt bike I can't really hear what's coming up on me or someone yelling. If you have open ears on a helmet you can. But this last part is my 2 cents.

tkrhino

Apr 23, 2012
DOT and or SNELL rated helmets are required according to an OHV commissioner I spoke with.
Jeff are you saying it has to be SNELL rated also? I read it to say minimum has to be DOT rated. Not SNELL rated. All helmets that are SNELL rated already carry the DOT rating. Making DOT a minimum rating.

EFAJEEP

Jul 21, 2010
I don't know if they sell a helmet small enough or light enough that a childs neck will not be hurt while bouncing around or when they fall asleep. This law was not thought out at all

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
It depends on the age of the child. My son has been wearing a helmet since age 3 riding his quad. His head bounced around, when he crashed his head did not snap off. I am in no way defending the law. I am simply saying that kids are tougher than we think. Typhoon Helmets make a cheap youth helmet. The have MX style and Full Face helmets. My youngest son just turned 3. He rode all weekend with a full face helmet. When we took it off him for a ride he got mad.

View attachment 8394

Attachments

tkrhino

Apr 23, 2012
The biggest thing is having a helmet while harnessed that doesn't cause the head to be forced down. That is what I am going through. Their heads don't crest the back of the seat so whiled harnessed in their moto helmet cause them to look at the floor instead of ahead. I can definitely see a problem with a small child/baby and getting a helmet on them that their neck can actually support. That will be tough. I can also see long rides that the kids will start to be uncomfortable with a big helmet. Short rides probably fine.

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
From my understanding no modular or open faced helmet passes or can pass SNELL. But as far as I know the law just requires a DOT approved helmet. The Simpson helmets as pictured above(in our booth at the sand sports super show) are definitely the ticket if you have headsets.

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
I got 5 G Max helmets because they fit great and can be found for less than $30 on some web sites.

http://www.g-max.com/gmax/products.html

Here is just one design but there are lots. I got full faced helmets myself.

Bryan :cool:

Here is what I got but they are 2010 helmets so might be hard to find this style.
I got 5 helm it's one in each size so people going riding with me don't have to buy one. ($150 for 5 helmets)

Some more G-Max helmets.

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
We use the save phace mask, so we wil be going full face with flip down sheilds, to much work to put HELMET-GOGGLES- HEADSET on three things to juggle, no way. Wired helmet with flip down shield no sand in the face. Plus may just get pumper model to boot....

HELMET< GOGGLES>HEADSET..........now think about that with a 4 seat car, trying to get the kids to put all that on. by the time you get ready to go, someone will have to go to the bathroom:D

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Im right with ya on the full face pumper style helmets. These are the most affordable ones I have found.
Zamp FSA-2AIR $199.99
not the most stylish but that is a full face helmit. put a cool wrap or something on it......then you have to wire them up.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I have a Zamp and it sucks. It's an odd shape and the quality is crappy. It's worth getting a helmet you will be happy with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000