Where is the Market headed?

Commander nick

commander nick
Oct 16, 2012
Redondo Beach
With new releases coming out all the time who will pursue the sport UTV market? The biggest global manufacturers Yamaha & Honda, are both making private claims of wanting to pursue the market but have struggled in the last couple years with the Smaller more aggressive brands. Polaris currently dominates the Sport Utv Market, with over 8 models of the RZR, we can expect them to continue their sport models with the goal of off-road entertainment. But with the current engine platform being fairly tapped out where will they be going in the future? Will they follow Can Am and Artic Cat and move to the V-Twin engine? Could they follow the sportbike industry and use an Inline like many people love to put in their Rhinos to build the SR1? I think because of their involvement with Victory and the potential of the V-twin they will move to the V-Twin engine design. Can Am has already established dominance in the Engine department with their 1000cc V-Twin 101Hp engine. The 5-link is also a creative design, I am not against it but I also believe it may have been over-engineered. Keep It simple the Artic cat doesn't have a complicated suspension and it is so soft. I think the maverick is also in its baby years. Look at the first RZR's, they had lots of problems and now Polaris is on top with all the bugs worked out. I believe with the release of the Maverick Max this means more owners, more aftermarket support, more involved dealers, and a more involved Can Am. I think this is actually going to be good for the industry entirely. Giving Polaris someone to compete with. Can Am is still the little guy but now Polaris has to be on their toes and keep moving forward and developing to stay on top. In closing what do I think we will see in the future for utv's......

-A ton of 4 seaters versions
-At least a year before Yamaha, Honda, or even Kawasaki release a sport model concept and then more time until production
-A New engine from Polaris
-New colors and little variations of the Maverick Max but no new models
-Chinese small engine cheap versions
-Bigger manufacturers will make better stock cages, as the cars get faster they need to be safer and I think that is recognized
-A bigger attempt from the government to regulate these separately from ATVs
-Lots of new AfterMarket products

I really wonder where it all is headed?!?!

brevndeb

Your Mom
May 5, 2010
Beaumont CA-B-Town
I would say if the government does not stop closing trails and deserts the market is not going to go far at all. I hate saying it but it seems like every where you go there has been closers or in the process of being closed. As for me I loved the UTV market but since California passed the helmet law I went back to building A prerunner. I know a lot of people that feel the same way.

skunx

OG SXS Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 30, 2009
california
www.imgms.com
I think the market is going to continue to grow, all the oems are stepping their game up as they can. as we know some are slower than others at this time but when these cars keep coming off the assembly line and we can beat them up like we are now its amazing. i mean all the cars have their pros and cons and minor issues however they kick ass box stock and with a few mods the gains are tremendous. plus like i tell people the payment every month isnt that bad for a mini race car..

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
The future is bright, but only for a limited time. The biggest issue is these manufactures are just like the rest of the off-road industry. They are in it for today and not the long term future.

If they were really concerned about the future of this recreational sport they would be doing what they could to help protect and keep our off-road land open. Without the open OHV areas we will not be buying UTV's and other recreational vehicles. Bottom line is these companies are strictly in it for the profit today. Once the land is closed these companies will close their OHV divisions and move to the next thing.

None of the MC, ATV or UTV manufactures send reps to BLM meetings to show their support in regards to land usage or land closures. They dont send lobbyist to speak in Washington. Were any manufactures involved in the recent opening of previously closed areas of the Imperial Sand Dunes? Did a single manufacture support or help keeping Johnson Valley open? Will a single manufacture help or even send simple a letter in regards to the most recent fight in Ocotillo Wells? Have any of manufactures given money to the off-road lobbyist to help fight to keep our land open?

I have spoke to some who have been on the DAC (Desert Advisory Council) and they had said they had tried to get reps from the big manufactures to attend the DAC/BLM meetings and none have ever sent a single rep.

Why is this? Could they be more afraid of what the environmentalist orgs might do to them if they were to find out these companies were paying for reps, lawyers or lobbyist to fight politicians like Diane Feinstein?

To me this is the future of our sport. Its not what is going to be the next latest & greatest and what manufactures are going to be involved. When the land is gone, so will be these manufactures.

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
If the manufacturers are smart, not only will they provide the high performance rigs like the Polaris 900XP or the Wildcat, they should also provide a good line of the smaller versions like the Polaris 570. A ton of these are being sold to folks like me on a smaller budget and really don't need a race capable rig.

Just look at Honda's largest selling motorcycles. The 50 and the 150, and it's not kids that are buying these. What ever sells the most is where the manufactures will concentrate the development money.

quadbk1978

Mar 30, 2012
Actually the OEM's are concerned and have taken action over the last several years. AC, Polaris, JD, BRP, Yamaha, Kawi and Honda founded ROHVA (Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association) in 2007. This is a nonprofit which promotes safe use of ROV's and together created mfg and safety standards that are ANSI certified. This was done after the Rhino law suit fiascoes. Basically on the safety side they're all in bed together now. But ROHVA also has involvement with many right to ride organizations such as "The Right Rider Access Fund" which just recently awarded $520,974 in grants to state and local right to ride networks. Could they do more? Sure! But they aren't sitting on the sidelines while our trails close.

The future is bright, but only for a limited time. The biggest issue is these manufactures are just like the rest of the off-road industry. They are in it for today and not the long term future.

If they were really concerned about the future of this recreational sport they would be doing what they could to help protect and keep our off-road land open. Without the open OHV areas we will not be buying UTV's and other recreational vehicles. Bottom line is these companies are strictly in it for the profit today. Once the land is closed these companies will close their OHV divisions and move to the next thing.

None of the MC, ATV or UTV manufactures send reps to BLM meetings to show their support in regards to land usage or land closures. They dont send lobbyist to speak in Washington. Were any manufactures involved in the recent opening of previously closed areas of the Imperial Sand Dunes? Did a single manufacture support or help keeping Johnson Valley open? Will a single manufacture help or even send simple a letter in regards to the most recent fight in Ocotillo Wells? Have any of manufactures given money to the off-road lobbyist to help fight to keep our land open?

I have spoke to some who have been on the DAC (Desert Advisory Council) and they had said they had tried to get reps from the big manufactures to attend the DAC/BLM meetings and none have ever sent a single rep.

Why is this? Could they be more afraid of what the environmentalist orgs might do to them if they were to find out these companies were paying for reps, lawyers or lobbyist to fight politicians like Diane Feinstein?

To me this is the future of our sport. Its not what is going to be the next latest & greatest and what manufactures are going to be involved. When the land is gone, so will be these manufactures.

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
Great topic Nick. Pretty sure what Joey hinted at is spot on. Look for a consistant progression of this market soon and over the next several years. Just glad to do our part in the growth. Let the speculation begin. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000